All MTBers are soft

inlina

Likes Dirt
(Now that I have your attention)

We say YES until proven otherwise

We will pit a 14 Year old and a 40 Year old on Mountain bikes against the best you can serve up!

When: 2.00pm Saturday 17th May

Where: Park Orchards BMX Club
Commercial Road, Park Orchards Melway 35 B8

Registration

You can enter by:

1. Email bmxracing@citp.com.au
2. SMS/Text 0416 069 959
3. Call Rafx on 0404 861 962 or Bruce 0419 103 433.
4. Register on the Day from 12.00 - 1.00pm

Racing Format: MTB (4X) Class with 3 Motos PLUS Final

Licence Requirements:

Current MTB license holders can either pay $15.00 for a day license or join Park Orchard BMX club to have affiliate BMX event racing privileges for 12 months across Australia for $66.00. Additional family members can join for only $36.00.

Non MTB registered racers can pay $15.00 for the day or or join Park Orchard BMX club to have affiliate BMX event racing privileges for 12 months across Australia for only $106.00. Additional family members can join for only $76.00.

Attachments

inlina

Likes Dirt
anymore info on rules? like minimum amount of gears? can i run a single speed?
I will get a ruling from someone!

For the time being, if it has 26inch wheels and suspension forks, I assume we are calling it a mountain bike. If it has 26inch wheels and rigid forks, I assume we are calling it a cruiser.

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
to many rules for me.

I'd rather go for a ride.

how about we do that. How about we get those hard as nails BMXer's and have them come up and do monkey (Awaba) on their bmx's

projectsplat

The film guy
nice one. this is cool. unfortunately, I have a fair idea of the outcome of this sort of race, having attempted it several times at the Ashmore BMX track on the Gold Coast.

It should be fun though. enjoy!

dhd

Downhill Direct
And then are they going to do the opposite and have the BMX boys do DH runs?

inlina

Likes Dirt
And then are they going to do the opposite and have the BMX boys do DH runs?
Actually, we'll send some BMXers to race 4X. Oh, hold on....BMXers already do that, and the proof is in the pudding! And we've got some BMXers that can hold their own on a DH track (they come from an MTB background).

But seriously, I will try and get a ruling on what constitutes an MTB to run in the MTB class.

I hear that the MTB class of first round of the Northern Rivers BMX series @ Sunbury was well supported.

In the end, we are just trying to give the MTB community in Vic another option to get some racing in. As I understand, the 4X scene in Vic is pretty lacking. If you want to prepare for an interstate assault for Nats or other races, riding your MTB on a BMX track is good cross training I would think.

CG

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
But seriously, I will try and get a ruling on what constitutes an MTB to run in the MTB class.

CG
NSw uses the 2 out of 3 rule for Mtn X
To be considered a MTB it has to have at least 2 of the following

1. 26 inch wheels
2. Suspension
3. gears

inlina

Likes Dirt
OK, I have a ruling for this one:

Must have both of:
1) 26" wheels front and rear
2) Front suspension

Single speed is OK (lets face it, most people only use one gear on a BMX track, no point carrying dead weight).

For the MTB class, I would assume front and rear brakes are required. (Officially for BMX racing your are only meant to have a rear brake.)

CG

luke.b

Formerly DH Maniac
As if a BMX wouldn't win on a BMX track anyway. Ok, we'll bet our 14 year old mtb bikes against your bmx bikes on our local DH run???

PS, link could still beat you. Yeh.

inlina

Likes Dirt
As if a BMX wouldn't win on a BMX track anyway. Ok, we'll bet our 14 year old mtb bikes against your bmx bikes on our local DH run???

PS, link could still beat you. Yeh.
Wow, I thought this was the 4X et al. forum, not the DH forum. Why does everyone keep talking up DH. I am in search of the forgotten Victorian 4X riders that need some race action!

I'm sure Link could beat me, but he (or she) will have to come down this Saturday to prove it!

CG

Hack

Likes Bikes
We keep bringing up DH because it has very few (if any) roots in BMX. Where as 4x is just BMX with bigger wheels and we run suspension. So naturally when we are called soft at our own sport we will bring up our own sport, not so much a sport we have taken our own spin on. Just my opinion.

Oscar

inlina

Likes Dirt
Fair enough Oscar, but I do believe 4X MTB is far removed from BMX these days. They do share some elements, but by it's very nature, true 4X is meant to be a rougher course down a hill. In the past DS and early 4X courses were just narrow BMX track on a hill, but if you look at a UCI or Glenn Jacobs track these day, only the general shape of some of the jumps share something in common.

In any event, with the likes of Jared Graves looking the good for number 1 pick for the Olympic BMX team, it's time for the rest of the MTB crew to show the BMXers what they are made of. And trust me, there are a few local DH guys who have made the cross over to BMX in recent months/years and are mixing it with the best of what Victorian BMX has to offer.

CG

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can we practice before hand? Or is there a bmx club race happening during the morning? Its been a while since ive been to park orchids.

inlina

Likes Dirt
There is a BMX clinic on from 10AM till 1PM. Practice for the aftenoon's racing will be from 1PM. You could probably sneek in a practice before 10AM too.

One other thing, because you will be riding under a BMX licence, you are required to use a full face helmet and wear full fingered gloves (as if there is any other type), full length pants and full length sleeves.

CG