All Rounder Tyres

Rid3R13

Likes Dirt
I've had a search but couldn't find much relevant.

So,

I'm looking for a set of tyres that suit the "all mountain" category, I have been running specialized Eskars for 18 months now and I'm looking for something different. Just like everything I'd want them to be relatively light and versatile. I've been doing a bit of looking around and found products like,
Schwalbe- Nobby Nic
Intense- 909
Maxxis- High Roller

If anyone has any more suggestions please feel free to comment and anyone who has any first hand experience with the ones I've stated (especially the Schwalbe) please tell me what you think. Try and throw in a price if you know it too!

Cheers lads.

Last edited:

T-Rex

Template denier
High Roller

+ 1 for single ply 2.35 High Roller. A great all rounder, I have used them for DH, XC and trail riding. 60 compound is probably what you want, 40 is a bit grippier but wears fairly quickly.

Rid3R13

Likes Dirt
+ 1 for single ply 2.35 High Roller. A great all rounder, I have used them for DH, XC and trail riding. 60 compound is probably what you want, 40 is a bit grippier but wears fairly quickly.
Mate yo got any idea how much they weigh? also whats the advantage/disadvantage of steel to foldable?

tim_d

Likes Dirt
Foldable are much easier to get on and off and also significantly lighter - well over 100g's difference in one tyre.

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Four tyres I'm frothing over at the moment are:

2.35 Maxxis High Roller UST - running it on the HT at the front - it's the soft compound and will wear quickly I know - buy holy shite it grips up! Price expensive as it's soft and UST. Trail riding and racing 4X on this for the rougher tracks. Running around 32 psi for fun and definately not for rolling efficiency.

2.1 Maxxis Larson TT UST - on the rear of the HT - med compound - great tyre. Not the lightest as it has a LOT of knobs, but climbs, brakes and corners excellent. Price expensive as it's UST. Trail riding and racing 4X on all tracks. 32 psi on the trails, up to 60 psi on hard pack 4X tracks.

2.25 Onza Canis RC65a non-UST - ghetto tubeless on the rear of the 5.5 EVP - whoa, heavy and barely cleares the yolk of both the seat and chainstays (has a bag profile of almost a 2.5 Maxxis) - but holy shite again, grips, climbs and clears mud. Onza are hexy as retail is about $70 from memory. Also, these are nothing like the XC version of the Canis if you've seen one - these babies have KNOBS!

Weights at the following link - sorry I didn't confirm - just whacked them on...

http://www.onzatires.com/index.php?article_id=19&clang=1

2.25 Onza Ibex FR RC55a non-UST - ghetto tubeless on the front of the 5.5 EVP - whoa a HUGE bag profile. Corners like a demon - I'd like to try this for DH and will in the future.

Weights at the following link - sorry I didn't confirm - just whacked them on...

http://www.onzatires.com/index.php?article_id=21&clang=1

I ride on the Onza's on trail rides and although they aren't light and I definately would never race anything on them - they are sick on the trails. Others riding with me on XC tyres struggle for cornering grip in both dusty, loose conditions and muddy conditions where the Onza's just power through.

Also, the weight of them makes you appreciate your lovely light tyres used for racings (if you do race...).

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im currently loving Schwalbe Nobby Nic's in 2.25 (its like a Maxxis 2.4) and is quite good. The triple compound is hard wearing, but the cornering knobs stick down while leaning over. The knobs themselves are solid and dont tend to rip. Tread pattern is relatively fast considering how hard it bites down under braking. The casing is fairly stiff, but the tyre is still baggy enough to have a bit of cushion...So far ive only flatted it (after 2 months) after casing quite a few table tops in one ride.

I say go for em......Downside is they are rather expensive, but well worth it IMO (Even though I bought them for considerably less than RRP)...

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I haven't honestly ridden enough variety of tires to be able to compare, but I'll throw in the Sycnros Point N Chute 3 as a suggestion for an all round tire, especially on the back end.

I've been running the PNC3 in a 2.5 size for a while, it rolls well, it's hard wearing (ie bitumen riding doesn't wear it down real quick either) and seems good grip wise.
Lately I've put a Syncros FLT on the front, it's a more agressive tyre so better cornering in the pea gravel The combo of the two seems ideal for me for now. Weight wise they're not the lightest, but they're reasonable in my opinion anyway, The FLT I purchased on ebay so it was one of the heavier versions too.

If you do consider Syncros then keep in mind there are three different types of compunds (Hardcore is one of them and probably the heaviest). Quoted weights on the syncros website are probably for the lightest of the compounds, the cheaper tires would be heavier so particularly make sure you know which you're buying if you choose to buy through ebay.
The better ones are expensive but occasionally you'll find them for a great price (stores like Phantom Cycles have had them on sale occasionally) probably because they're not really as popular as something like Maxxis.

T-Rex

Template denier
Mate yo got any idea how much they weigh? also whats the advantage/disadvantage of steel to foldable?
I used to know all these weights off the top of my head! But getting old, so memory is fading, but I think the 2.35 wire bead is 800ish. As someone said below, the folding bead will be heaps lighter. The folding bead is definately easier to fit, but that said the wire bead isn't particularly difficult to fit. The main advantage for with the wire bead is that they are less likely to get peeled off the rim under hard cornering. This usually isn't a problem with general trail riding.

Maxxis make a 2.1 folding bead high roller, it's very light and rolls well, however it's pretty hopeless on loose climbs. I ended up running the rear one backwards to get some decent grip on the climbs, then retired them early and went back to 2.35s.

Rid3R13

Likes Dirt
thanks guys awesome help, I think Ill be brave and test out the Nobby Nics, if they turn out to be a no go for my type of riding then ill post 'em up in the for sale section, for another punter to have a crack at. cheers again for your detailed responses!

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been running a combo of intense tyres for the last 6 months and have been happy with them.
An invader 2.35 on the front http://www.intensetires.com/itam-iv-235.html
And a 2.25 System 4 on the rear http://www.intensetires.com/itxc-s4-225.html
Hmm.. I was running a System 2 on the rear and a System 4 on the front for a year (2 sets). Not too happy - I had problems with the side knobs on the System 4 tearing off. Also, I got flats just looking at the System 2 on the rear - although I was running Sun Singletracks - which tend to induce flats with any tyre combo...

ajp

Likes Bikes
Hmm.. I was running a System 2 on the rear and a System 4 on the front for a year (2 sets). Not too happy - I had problems with the side knobs on the System 4 tearing off. Also, I got flats just looking at the System 2 on the rear - although I was running Sun Singletracks - which tend to induce flats with any tyre combo...
At first i wasn't too happy with the system 4. It felt real loose when cornering, so i added a few extra psi and they have been good since. I have been riding Nerang State Forest 90% of the time and the tyres are on a deetrax wheelset.

kholden_1992

Likes Dirt
I beg to differ, i ran high rollers for a year, sure they grip well in a straight line :rolleyes: but they edge out all the time on corners and make you face plant, it got old after to 20th time it happened.

they do alright as a rear tire though if you like to drift a little on down hill runs.

also i found if you run them around 35 psi they come quite close to rolling off the rim, but i dunno if that was because of my rims or the tires:confused:

BT180

Max Pfaff
As a front tyre for all mountain use it's hard to go past the 2.35 Minion DHF in single ply. You save weight over the dual ply, get it in slow reezay or super tacky and you'll be sticking your corners like nothing else.

kholden_1992

Likes Dirt
Sounds like you have more issues with cornering than just the High Rollers :p
As a front tyre for all mountain use it's hard to go past the 2.35 Minion DHF in single ply. You save weight over the dual ply, get it in slow reezay or super tacky and you'll be sticking your corners like nothing else.
then my epic faceplants were solved with a 2.35 Minion DHF

now i run 2.4 holy rollers front and rear for dirt jumping and 4x:p