All the gear and no idea...

higgin_d

Likes Dirt
Ok...

I have a pretty massive desire to get myself a new downhill rig. Now been riding for about a year, and to be straight certainly don't ride extreme, but love riding all the same.

Is it bad to be the guy "with all the gear an no idea"

So, my new rig... Keen for one, but do I have to avoid any of the boutique brands to avoid being "that guy" does getting something like a glory allow a tame rider to just fit in without drawing attention to the lack of speed and air time.

Haha

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
Ok...

I have a pretty massive desire to get myself a new downhill rig. Now been riding for about a year, and to be straight certainly don't ride extreme, but love riding all the same.

So, my new rig... Keen for one, but do I have to avoid any of the boutique brands to avoid being "that guy" does getting something like a glory allow a tame rider to just fit in without drawing attention to the lack of speed and air time.

Haha
Personally, I think it's ok, as long as you aren't an asshole. Who can have an issue with you if you are a good guy right?

Futile

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dude... Anybody who looks at your like your 'that guy' needs to give a flying fuck about something else.

It's your money, spend it on something nice! BUY the boutique bike that is $6000. Because you can and you want to, not for how it will make you look.

Anybody who tries to tell you different, then let this happen.

driftking

Wheel size expert
The bike doesn't matter just don't be cocky about it, sure joke around but don't be a asshole. Even then people will hate you for being a asshole not for having a bike.

The thing is with the whole "too good gear" it all comes down to one thing, envy and jealously.
People think they they deserve the better bike because they ride better.
Bottom line no one cares the problem isn't with you it's with their own bike or lack of money for riding so don't worry.

It's your money get what you want, if you were rich would you avoid buying a Ferrari because you aren't. Race car driver? No it's your money you want something nice get it.

moorey

call me Mia
Just buy it mate. Back in the day, after riding SH shit for a few years, but still a hack, I lashed out on a brand new orange 222. Loved it, became a better rider for it, and wish I still had it.
You may never get another chance, just do it, and as said, as long as you're not a wanker, no one will care.
The only people that ever bothered me riding expensive new bikes were 14yo spoiled little shits who didn't value their bikes because the didn't work for them, and they looked at you like you were sjit because your bike wasn't the latest and greatest. You don't sound like that applies to you.

Pics please.

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
As above, the only ones that give you the shits are the young guys who cut shuttle lines and look at you like you're a dick because you have a steel spring instead of Ti.

Even if they're faster than me (quite probable) I still think they're little shits.

I love nothing more than to see a guy on a bike twice as old and half as good as mine overtake me. Really motivates me to kick it up a notch. Maybe with a shiny bike you'll feel the need to step up? You might also make your pinner mate with the 06 stinky feel like a boss for smashing you down the track.

Sidenote: Funny how different this thread would be if it were in relation to TLD pyjama gear....

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do it... If I could afford a ferrari, I'd buy one... I don't have to be the worlds best drive to enjoy it.

dwnhil4thewin

Likes Dirt
Always good to see a shmick bike out on the trails, regardless of who is on it or how fast they're going. If you have the money you might as well buy something you like and can show off as opposed to something you feel is more generic or less noticeable. Go nuts!

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Buy/ride what ever bike that'll put a smile on ur face. At the end of the day, it's about having fun and there's no point getting something you think everyone else thinks you should have and hating it. Anyhow, everyone I've ever come across has been mellow and very friendly.... Which is not like a lot of sports out there.... Quite amazing really.

iridedh

Likes Dirt
Ok...

Haha
I look the same way as a wife....
you want the best one you can afford!!!!!!!
when other give you the look, you just smile back, cause you the one riding it!!!!
not like a wife, you can share the bike, and let other experience the ride, making you look good, and maybe add a couple of friends to your list. lol

Puddleduck

Likes Dirt
I bought a Santa Cruz Heckler, pretty damn happy and still damn happy. Twins were added to the familiy not long after.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't think it really matters does it?...buy what you want/do what you want!

I think giving someone grief for having a top spec bike is as bad as giving someone grief about having a lower spec bike! As long as you're having a go who cares!

ollieo

Likes Dirt
like this

are you worried about being this guy haha...
Good gear is worth it .. good bike will help the learning curve .. spend up..it's fun..tumblr_mbqjtjnZg01qicrz8o1_500.jpeg

blkluxy73

Likes Bikes
I don't think it really matters does it?...buy what you want/do what you want!

I think giving someone grief for having a top spec bike is as bad as giving someone grief about having a lower spec bike! As long as you're having a go who cares!
this blokes right on the money..most guys only too glad your out there rippin it up with them,no-one matters what your riding just as long as you're all enjoying each others company right?.never a drama when i've out ridden guys on my 06 brodie and their on their brand new s cruz or specialz lol..life's short go hard son...