Alone on the wall

Frayed

Likes Bikes
That was pretty intense, thanks for the post it was well worth watching although it didn't leave me with that lets go climb feeling more a he is crazy vibe.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
I get sweaty palms every time I watch that.

I work for The North Face and have met a number of Honnold's support crew who described in detail the moments where the poor guy almost freaked out and plummeted to his death. Pretty cool to simply tell people 'he's climbing our logo!'

It's such a relaxed methodical climbing style though - it's fascinating to simply just admire and a distinct contrast to the aggressive style of Chris Sharma (another featured climber in the 'First Ascent' Series).

Last edited:

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That is... absolutely intense! So much respect for his focus and commitment, god knows you'd never find me climbing without a rope!

aidz44

Likes Dirt
I have done a little bit of bouldering, and got into places that I really didn't like.

but not even my imagination has thought of something like that ...

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Wow! It really is just his control over his brain and body keeping him on those climbs, if he lost a single bit of focus or control and freaked out that would be what would send him to his death. Fingers and feet work as long as you are in the right frame of mind to control them. So intense, my palms were sweating watching that as well. I don't think I could climb anything higher than a few metres without a rope. Crazy, but awe inspiring! Thanks for posting harmonix

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's such a relaxed methodical climbing style though - it's fascinating to simply just admire and a distinct contrast to the aggressive style of Chris Sharma (another featured climber in the 'First Ascent' Series).
Comparing Sharma to Honnold is ridiculous thats like comparing an xc style to dh style, they are both riding but they are entirely different beasts.

Dean potters doing some cool stuff free soloing with a base jumping chute on, so he can still do aggressive moves and dynos without the consequences of death.

Sadly the days of Osman and co free soloing stuff is gone. Honnold is amazing, no doubt. There was just something about seeing Osman literally run up walls and do dynos that would result in death if they didnt come off.

kemmis

Likes Dirt
you guys will probably appreciate this, its a link to a new movie one of my mates is in, its mostly climbing with a bit of base jumping and other shenannigans. this is a link to each of the team member trailers and the trailer. http://vimeo.com/smittenthemovie

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Comparing Sharma to Honnold is ridiculous thats like comparing an xc style to dh style, they are both riding but they are entirely different beasts.
I don't climb. I am not versed in climbing. In fact the extent of my climbing knowledge is watching videos of the aforementioned climbers.

If you read my post again, you'll find that I stated (or rather, observed) both climbers were a contrast (ie. a state of being strikingly different from something else) to one and other. Apologies if you found the observation offensive.

0psi

Eats Squid
Chris Webb Parsons sending WOL, friken insane.
[video=youtube;D3ZnfqPVJlc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3ZnfqPVJlc[/video]

And my mother once said if you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all, so I'm not going to comment on free solo climbers :p

Joy

Likes Dirt
I dunno....

This just seems a little bit too much on the "looney" side of risk taking for me. It's like riding Champery with no helmet, no clothes and no brakes. Is the next guy going to go "oh yeah?! Well I'm gonna climb it blindfolded!"

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm more interested in how the hell he gets down? :cool:

But seriously, Wearing a helmet is uncool - fair enough, It's up to you - But not using rope?

Nonetheless, pretty amazing.