Alpine Assault 100km (Falls Creek - Mt Beauty)

wolfjjj

Likes Dirt
So it looks like we have another 100km marathon in Victoria ... The Alpine Assault on Dec 5 ... http://www.alpineassault.com.au/

Not much in the way of details, only the date and it's around 'Falls Creek - Mt Beauty'

Anyone got any more details on it? rough idea on the route etc

Cheers

Last edited:

akashra

Eats Squid
They were advertising this up at the UCI worlds - it's the same course as the first stage of the Terra Australis. Difficulty in terms of technical skill required is defined as 'reasonably easy' and it's aimed to be able to be ridable by novices (from what they told me in Canberra).
It finishes up using trails in Big Hill mountain bike park.

Torq are also running a training camp that goes for I think 5 or 8 days leading up to this event, with the last day being in Falls Creek the same day as this event.

steve dave

Likes Dirt
tour of bright

are they aware that is the same weekend as the tour of bright.... very bad choice for a date. there will be a lot of riders wanting to do both.

gravity

Likes Dirt
They were advertising this up at the UCI worlds - it's the same course as the first stage of the Terra Australis. Difficulty in terms of technical skill required is defined as 'reasonably easy' and it's aimed to be able to be ridable by novices (from what they told me in Canberra).
It finishes up using trails in Big Hill mountain bike park.

Torq are also running a training camp that goes for I think 5 or 8 days leading up to this event, with the last day being in Falls Creek the same day as this event.
It's not exactly the same as Stage 1 of the Terra Australis course. The Alpine Assault won't be climbing up to Bogong Village but will instead head down the Big River Fire Trail to Mt Beauty and then include a loop within the Big Hill Mountain Bike Park. Full details will be available soon.

Cheers, Paul

LabRat

Likes Dirt
Is there a 67km version?
Would love to enter but don't know if my legs are up for a 100km event just yet :(

Does anyone have anymore info on this event?

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Or no accomodation...

Cheers
Gonz
Race kicks off at Falls Creek (~60km from Bright) and all rego is on the Friday evening. Strongly doubt anyone will drive up to Falls to register and then back to Bright on the Friday, to then drive up again Sat AM for the race.

Suspect accomodation won't be an issue.

As to the clash between this and ToB, not sure what the impact would be? I suspect not as big as some think it might.

Blackthorn

Likes Dirt
Race kicks off at Falls Creek (~60km from Bright) and all rego is on the Friday evening. Strongly doubt anyone will drive up to Falls to register and then back to Bright on the Friday, to then drive up again Sat AM for the race.

Suspect accomodation won't be an issue.

As to the clash between this and ToB, not sure what the impact would be? I suspect not as big as some think it might.
Or you could stay in Mt Beauty which has plenty of accommodation and is only ~30km from falls creek?

Is there a 67km version?
Would love to enter but don't know if my legs are up for a 100km event just yet :(

Does anyone have anymore info on this event?
There is a 67km option. We have just posted a lot more info on the Alpine Assault website. Course details will be up there as soon as Parks Vic give the course the tick post snow.

Cheers

Clayton.

johndh

Likes Dirt
Curious to know what you get for your entry other than the ride, what are the prizes for category winners etc. Eg OO has $3000 for the overall winners and giveaways, the ROCKSHOX Epic had $2000 for 1st, free T shirts and forks to give away, as did the BMC etc.

bickers

Squid
Any new info?

Was thinking about doing the 67km version but the lack of any new info is making me a bit sceptical.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's on - very on. Spoke to one of the organisers in person yesterday, plans are coming along well.

Course is still being finalised (still snow on the ground) and just waiting final sign off by Parks Vic.