Alternative lub Oil for Rear Fox Shock

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi Burners and Farkers,

I went for a ride yesterday and heard a sucking kind of noise out of the rear Fox shock (standard Float R Shock) when it expands after compression. It works fine, but the noise is a bit disconcerting (can't remember how long it's been happening). What do you think this is?

Also, as I am an eternal dabbler I'm thinking of pulling it apart to check the seals, etc. I've looked at the guides and it looks easy enough. My question is if there are more common alternatives to the red Fox oil they sell in the small blister packs. Not sure if I'll get time to get to the LBS so wondering if other oils can be used such as fork oil, etc. Otherwise I'll hang on and get the seal kit (wow, have you noticed that is $7 in the US and about $25 here! Rort!)

Cheers,

Coaster

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi Burners and Farkers,

I went for a ride yesterday and heard a sucking kind of noise out of the rear Fox shock (standard Float R Shock) when it expands after compression. It works fine, but the noise is a bit disconcerting (can't remember how long it's been happening). What do you think this is?

Also, as I am an eternal dabbler I'm thinking of pulling it apart to check the seals, etc. I've looked at the guides and it looks easy enough. My question is if there are more common alternatives to the red Fox oil they sell in the small blister packs. Not sure if I'll get time to get to the LBS so wondering if other oils can be used such as fork oil, etc. Otherwise I'll hang on and get the seal kit (wow, have you noticed that is $7 in the US and about $25 here! Rort!)

Cheers,

Coaster
If you buy a proper fox kit it comes with a Float fluid pack as part of the kit.
the sucking noise is more than likely your damper, not something that you can fix your self. unless you have correct tools and nitrogen charging gear.

screw loose

Likes Dirt
There's air in your damping oil. This is not ideal and will change the way your rebound and compression performs during use.

You'll need to send her off for a service. New air sleeve seals won't do it, you need a new head seal and damper service.

Last edited: