Alternatives to a Giant Reign X1?

castillo

Likes Dirt
Hey guys.
I've had a 2009 Giant Reign X1 on order now for around 3 months. I've been told the shipment of them keeps getting pushed back. I want to believe my LBS is telling me the truth, but you can never be too sure. They were due next week, now I've been told they're not due until February 09. This is more frustrating, as every other Giant model is already in shops. If it truly is going to be that long, I can't be arsed waiting.
The trouble is, I'm fairly new to MTBs, and I don't know much about what else is out there. It needs to be a complete bike, around 2500-3500, and more freeride oriented than XC. I would prefer not to get a norco, but depending on what else there is, I might have to.
If you guys who know a fair bit could make me some recommendations, it would be a great place for me to start researching.
Thanks in advance.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mongoose Khyber
Transition bottle rocket/Dirtbag
Jamis parker
Norco shore
Iron horse 6/7 point
Eastern slash 5/7 coil/air
I will think of more later.................

NASHWORTH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There is a couple of really nice GT's.

Force and Sanction.

The force being a bit more XC and the Sanction being a bit more FR with a pretty nice spec.

Or then theres the Specialized Enduro, or something like my bike.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^^ Build it from semi-second parts here on farkin.......Pick your own parts and your budget, will come out chepaer in the long run......I wish i did!

NASHWORTH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also my mate has an 09 X1 on order, his isn't meant to come in until December. From what your saying, this isn't good news for my mate.

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Only real alternatives to the x1 are:

Spesh Sx trail - my pick (obviously), though I'm not too keen on the very high leverage ratio on the new one. Have to ride one and fined out.

Intense 6.6 ss (that one in trading section should be snapped up)

Santacruz Nomad

Commencal supreme

tprmc78

Likes Dirt
I saw an 09 model in one of the shops in Canberra the other day, think it was Onya at Belco. I just bought an 08 model for a really good price. I know there are still some poking around in a few shops that could be another option.

goatman

Likes Dirt
Funny I was in a similar situation - wanting a Reign X - but ended up getting an SX Trail frame off here, then building it up with pretty light (but strong) parts from Torp and CRC.

In the end I have a burly bike that will handle anything from DH tracks to half day epics. It climbs so well that I am selling my 06 Reign (not X) as I no longer use it!

I put Totems on the SX and am actually stoked I didn't get the Reign X as I reckon this is a slightly more DH/FR build than if I had of got a stock Reign X. Slacker Geo as well.

Saffa

Likes Dirt
Hey, Alltitude in Melbourne has one on there showroom floor, brand new 09 x1 for 3100. They also said that they are all here and sitting in the warehouse, so there isn't a problem getting one.

I have a 08 x1 and love it, but would change some of the parts for tougher ones if your going to be freeriding or downhilling. Rides way better than a Norco 6, or most of the competitors.

Good luck

Derka Derka

Likes Dirt
X1 alternatives

Hey guys.
It needs to be a complete bike, around 2500-3500, and more freeride oriented than XC. .
Why dont you see if they can do a GLORY 1 or GLORY 0 if you are getting into freeride they seem great! and you maybe able to transfer the deposit.

Otherwise go a Norco Shore or something like that!