Product Review Altrex Skinz protection film

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Item: Altrex Skinz invisible paint protection film
Purchased From: Supercheap Auto
Purchase Price (approx): $60
Usage: Protecting the frame from scuffs and scratches

Pros - cheaper than purpose made kits, easier to find than 3M Heli tape, can be cut to fit all sorts of shapes, thick and tough
Cons - High gloss isn't great on matt or satin finish frames, have to cut the shapes out yourself, tricky to apply without bubbles, edges collect dust.

Comments: Got this back in January when I got my new Fuel EX, and couldn't find 3M Heli tape or any ready made frame protection kits locally. Stuck it on the stays, underside of downtube, top of top tube and back of seat post tube. I've also done my newly built Dartmoor Primal from the same Large 1600mm x 305 mm pack, and there's probably still enough left to do another bike.
I tried the recommended method using a 2% detergent/water mix as 'application fluid' but couldn't get it to work, trying to squeegee the soapy water out made the film slide out of position and gave me the shits so I stuck it on dry with the help of a heat gun to soften it up, as it come out of the pack curly from being rolled up.
Pretty happy with it overall, once the bike gets a bit of use it doesn't stand out so much and so far it's held on very well.

Will edit to add pics

Attachments

Last edited: