AM Bike on a budget. Suggestions?

I'm looking at buying an All Mountain Bike with between 140-160mm travel. I would like to buy used because i feel I can get much better value for money. Is a budget of $2000- $2500 being unrealistic? or am I limiting myself too much?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, still very overwhelmed with the choices out there. I really like the look of Specialized and Norco's suspension systems, but I rode a rocky mountain in Canada and really enjoyed it.....

Zam

Likes Dirt
I would have loved to have a budget of that much when I bought my bike, I ended getting an 2009 S-Works carbon Enduro of the forums and think I paid about $1200 for it, was it pretty bloody good condition for the price and I haven't had to do anything to it so far, bargains are out there and for 2- 2.5k should get you a very nice bike second hand.....

Thanks for the examples. Ive heard the suspension on the giants has alot of brake chatter, I'm kind of leaning towards a specialized, they seem to be pretty well recieved by all. Would love a rocky mountain Slayer but i dont see too many around for sale, especially in my budget.

AzonicNick

Likes Dirt
That is heaps of money for a mid-level second hand bike. Lots to pick from but recommend having somebody who knows what they are looking at to have a look if going second hand. Or buy from a fellow RB with a good reputation!

jackass'd

Likes Dirt
With that budget, you will do fine. If you are after a specific year/model/spec list, patience might be required though :) There was a couple of RM slayers for sale for around $2000 a couple of months back.........

will2

Likes Dirt
Was in your same shoes after cracking my 08 Giant Reign, I looked for new frames and things but it a was mess. So I bought a Polygon Collosus AX2.0 heavier than most by a tiny bit i doesn't really matter and bloody strong.

indica

Serial flasher
Wife bought a second hand Rocky Mountain Slayer for sub $2k. Absolutely mint, runs beautifully and is all you could want / need in an everyday AM/ trail bike package.
You easily have enough money.

Yep

Squid
Hey mate,

I know it is slightly more then what you are looking to spend but I just picked up a new spesh enduro comp for $2750, the shop did me an awesome deal, they had to order the bike in to perth because it had only just landed in Melbourne so it's not like it was a bike that was at the end of the season and had been sitting in the shop collecting dust and the shop had to move it before the new models come in, in other words ask for a bit of discount and see how you go, you never know what you might be able to pick up. Good luck.

Cheers.

oldstinky75

Likes Dirt
Picked up a demo Specialized Enduro Comp for $2k. Was essentially brand new. Bargain! Check the dealers for something similar before going second hand. Otherwise you're bound to find all sorts of 2nd hand goodies in your price range.

marc.r

Likes Dirt
Hey mate,

I know it is slightly more then what you are looking to spend but I just picked up a new spesh enduro comp for $2750, the shop did me an awesome deal, they had to order the bike in to perth because it had only just landed in Melbourne so it's not like it was a bike that was at the end of the season and had been sitting in the shop collecting dust and the shop had to move it before the new models come in, in other words ask for a bit of discount and see how you go, you never know what you might be able to pick up. Good luck.

Cheers.

wow makes me want to go down and buy one tomorrow :-O

Yep

Squid
wow makes me want to go down and buy one tomorrow :-O
If the guys budget is $2500 and he is looking at second hand and is also looking at at spesh enduro then I think it is relevant that I suggest buying new if you can work a deal for close to your budget!

Pull ya head in, cock!

marc.r

Likes Dirt
If the guys budget is $2500 and he is looking at second hand and is also looking at at spesh enduro then I think it is relevant that I suggest buying new if you can work a deal for close to your budget!

Pull ya head in, cock!
I was being serious you over sensitive prick. I've had my eye on enduro comps for a few months now.

Yep

Squid
I was being serious you over sensitive prick. I've had my eye on enduro comps for a few months now.
Oops :(

Sorry dude, seriously!

I took it the wrong way, my bad! It came across as a little bit of sarcasm to me.

I hope you can score a good deal, which state are you in???

Yep

Squid
Hahahahaha,

You know what's funny, I'm now the cock!

I even mixed up my own shit, I'm selling a camber COMP, but I bought an enduro EVO, not the COMP.

sorry.