AM cranks.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Gday all. I'm looking to change my old beaten Shimano Saint cranks with something a bit lighter, a bit different and at a good price. They'll be going on a hardtail which will be doing mostly am stuff with a little bit of dh and xc thrown in. I'm not the lightest rider either at about 105ish kg's at the moment.

I've come across these Race Face Evolve for a good price. It says they can handle AM, but I'm just not sure. Has anyone had any dealing with these cranks? Any other suggestions?

Beej1

I ran Evolves for a few years on a Genius MC that did everything from 24hrs to chairlift days at Buller. Weight: ~100kg.

Cranks are cranks are cranks. I've seen heavier guys hucking stuff I can only dream of doing on cranks ranging from base level Shimano Deores to uber-lightweight XTRs. When it comes to cranks, 'AM' is most definitely marketing bullshit.

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
Cranks are cranks are cranks. I've seen heavier guys hucking stuff I can only dream of doing on cranks ranging from base level Shimano Deores to uber-lightweight XTRs. When it comes to cranks, 'AM' is most definitely marketing bullshit.
agree with that...amen

SLX are nice tho

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
+1 for SLX also.
Cheaper and stiffer than XT's and with only a marginal weight gain. In my opinion they look better too :p

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Race face evolve came standard for a long while on the giant reign. More than ample for AM and they are a good solid crank. As an alternative you can pick up a set of RF Atlas crank arms for about $200 or so which are a good buy and solid piece of gear (no rings of bb). I have a set of evolves sitting around - they've done about 500km if you want a cheaper alternative, fitted with the new 3x chainrings that I took of the atlas cranks before I fitted them. PM me if that is of interest.

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
And ive got a set of Atlas AM's with BB, bashguard, and dual ring guide for $300. They've never been ridden, and have the perfect AM 24/36 chainring combo. Plug over; you're unlikely to snap anything these days unless you do extreme FR on XC cranks.

Anthiron

Likes Dirt
I'm not sure why I don't see more bikes with Stylo cranks.

They are light, not as stiff as SLX but still pretty stiff. Can't fault them so far