[AM] FRX V2 build

ssb2005

Likes Bikes
Hey

Here is my 2010 Craftworks FRX built for me by Over the Edge sports at Melrose SA.

The new FRX is leaps and bounds ahead of the old one and is a definite trail weapon + its an australian company, loves to jump and get up on the back wheel, the build comes in around 13kg's but if you wanted to XC it a different set of wheels / tyres would get it into the 12kg bracket.
Im 194cm tall and about 94kg's and the bike fits like a glove, more importantly is amazingly stiff. I love it!! :cool:

Frame : 2010 FRX in large
Bars : Raceface SIX carbon
Brakes: Avid Elixir CR with Goodridge lines. 7" front 6" rear
Shifters : Shimano XT with Goodridge cable outers
Cranks / drivetrain : Shimano XT 10 speed
Fork : Rock shocks revalation team with tapered headset (Standard on bike)
Pedals : Straitline flat's
Wheels : mavic 317's on novatech hubs (Standard on bike) running on Ignitors.
Ergon grips

apologies re average pics the battery for my good camera is AWOL.

Q dog

Likes Dirt
Looks great. Nice to see an Austrailian company putting out a quality product and getting support. Would love to hear a review. Have fun on it.

ssb2005

Likes Bikes
Hopefully have some better pics up soon

As for a review I have had the bike for almost 3 months now. So far i have only thrashed it around trails (Melrose and surrounds + Eagle on the hill) as i havent had a chance to do a race or anything on it.

The geometry and setup of the bike makes it very forgiving as i have had a fair few oh S****t moments on it but the bike has behaved itself and saved my ass.

The first thing you will notice when riding it is how long the top tube is, this makes it a bit of a handfull on really tight switchbacks but once the trail opens up and starts flowing its a very chuckable bike. The bottom bracket is also generously high and even with the triple ring setup I havent had a major hangup on it yet despite riding over a few fallen logs. this obviously makes it a bit different to corner than a low slung rig but it didnt take much getting used too. There is also a bit of single pivot jackup under braking but the Elixir CR's feel awesome and allow a very good level of control. The wheelset is still straght and true and hasnt come loose yet which is a plus is rear wheels are usually the first thing that go loose on me.

The cockpit and geometry is very open and roomy and the bike trackstands and wheelies amazingly easily compared to alot of other bikes which is great for being a loon on or for technical trails. The rear shock (And forks) has a lock out for any serious climbs but there seems to be minimal bob anyway. The frame is crazily stiff when you stand up and get on the gas there is no flex at all which is alot more than can be said for some of the other designs out there!

The new 10 speed Dyna Sys drive train amazing in terms of shift quality and speed even under power.!!!!

The WTB saddle is a love or hate affair at the moment and can be uncomfortably hard especially when not wearing padded bike shorts, but saddles etc are a personal thing.

things to change
I would like to mess around with a few different stem lengths to see what happens.

ssb2005

Likes Bikes
update

Its been a while since i have been on here, So just a quick update on the bike, I have had it for a bit over two and a half years now which is the longest I have had any bike. The spec has changed a bit with wide Chromag OSX bars, 50mm stem and the Monarch shock from the new FRX frame and a set of DT Swiss rims / hope hubs.

So far the rig has been pretty damn faultless, I'm a 90kg rider, its been run over by a tandem trailer, survived being dragged overseas twice and hammered down lift services runs in whistler and Queens town. It does cop some criticism from some people for its single pivot suspension but to be honest you just get used to it the same as you do the quirks of any suspension design.

Definitely worth a look.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice bike and thread. I own a Craftworks S1 myself and so far cannot fault it either.