AM HT frames...That aren't fugly

floody

Wheel size expert
Are there any AM hardtail frames, for a 130-150mm fork, which aren't ti, aren't heinously expensive, and aren't covered in weirdly bent tubes, farmers shed gussets or anything else that looks like it belongs on a Russian tractor (i.e. not like a Ragley)?

Kinesis decade virsa maybe? Cotic Soul/BFe; is there an Aussie distro? Any other ideas?

Last edited:

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No farmers sheds... that rules out the Orange Miii 16" then :(
But you could go an Orange Crush. Nice simple tough as nails frame in a range of sizes..

Cove and Evil make a couple nice ones from memory too.

floody

Wheel size expert
Carbon would be out of my ballpark, probably prefer steel but aluminium could work.

rone

Eats Squid
Checked out the new On-One 456 Evo?

456evo.jpg

Seems Blue Pig-ish without the gussetry.

Last edited:

wintortree

Likes Dirt
Ragely mmmbop

Sweet ht frame design around 130-160mm fork. Tyre clearance is up to 2.7 and 1.5 head tube. Proper AM hard tail. And there alu, light And not expensive.

I've loved my one for the past year. Just upgraded to duly so got a med green frame going for $400 if you were interested let me know.

v1llage1d1ot

Likes Dirt
Evil sovereign? I bought mine from the Aust distributor for significantly less than what the stores online were asking for it.

TheBug

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had my eye on this one for a while.
Newish French Company - Production Privée
The Shan - 4130 and can take a 150 fork (even a 160!)

Last edited:

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I ride a chumba hx1, which is certainly not an ugly bike. It is very stiff though, which makes it feel very fast.. But you do feel all the little bumps.. Might not be the best thing for a AM hardtail, i guess it depends on what other bikes you own and what you want to do on it (ill hopefully be (non-serious) racing a bit on it). It handles very well with the pikes set at 140mm, and could easily handle more. But i think it feels the best at 120mm, so a little below what you want.

If I was buying again, I'd probably jump on one (lol) of the various on ones that are available. Hopefully the next bike will be titanium, but for now im happy with what I've got.

Do you want any ss/igh compatibility?

Sent from my GT-P1000T using Tapatalk

GDonehue

Likes Dirt
I have been running the charge now for about a year and enjoying it as an AM option. I have run it with 140mm forks for about 4 months now and it is a hoot.

Attachments

floody

Wheel size expert
That French thing is trick, but hooly tabouli, 600 euro!

456/456evo look the goods. Really just looking toward slapping together a winter bike with leftovers.

jonozrx

Likes Dirt
My AM ride is a Marin Rocky Ridge. TBSM has completes for $1400 with the same setup as mine - X9 drivetrain, Revelation fork etc. If you don't want a complete you could probably recoup almost half the purchase price by selling the fork alone.

Good value for the spec, and plenty capable (including good geometry) for most AM riding. Mine has hit plenty of jumps on Canberra downhill tracks including Majura.

Last edited: