AM rides around Sydney?

cobby

Likes Bikes
I've moved to Sydney recently and getting back into riding again. I went to Manly Dam last weekend and found it pretty tame and too XC-orientated. Just wondering where most people head to?

Converted my bike from 2x9 to 1x10 today and I'm keen to try it out tomorrow!

Thanks.

Last edited:

slowandold

Likes Dirt
Red Hill

Red Hill is close to Manly Dam but with a wider network and variety of trails.
Great place to spend a few hours.

cobby

Likes Bikes
Red Hill is close to Manly Dam but with a wider network and variety of trails.
Great place to spend a few hours.
I was almost gonna go there today, but ended up making the drive to Ourimbah and was quite happy with my choice. I eventually found part of the AM track there and had blast and finished going through a pretty decent XC single track (way better than Manly Dam too). I was surprised at the lack of riders there though, and didn't really feel comfortable sending it on the jumps because of this - I really need to find some people to ride with.

Might give Red Hill a whirl next weekend, thanks for the tip.

Gravityfreak

Likes Dirt
I was almost gonna go there today, but ended up making the drive to Ourimbah and was quite happy with my choice. I eventually found part of the AM track there and had blast and finished going through a pretty decent XC single track (way better than Manly Dam too). I was surprised at the lack of riders there though, and didn't really feel comfortable sending it on the jumps because of this - I really need to find some people to ride with.

Might give Red Hill a whirl next weekend, thanks for the tip.
How old are you, how fit are you, what's your skill level, where do you live?

cobby

Likes Bikes
How old are you, how fit are you, what's your skill level, where do you live?
21, pretty fit, average skill but tend to play it safe (at least when I'm by myself), living at Bexley at the moment. I'm looking for places within 2 hours drive from the CBD.

Riding at Red Hill this Sunday

Weather permitting a bunch of us will be riding Red Hill this Sunday starting 9am...happy to show you around...look for the bunch of old guys at the entrance to the lookout at Lady Penrhyn Drive...name is Simon.

cobby

Likes Bikes
Weather permitting a bunch of us will be riding Red Hill this Sunday starting 9am...happy to show you around...look for the bunch of old guys at the entrance to the lookout at Lady Penrhyn Drive...name is Simon.
Hi Simon. That sounds good, I'll try and make it there by 9am.

spyda00

Likes Bikes
I'm in the same boat, I took the downhill bike to manly dam last week.
There was a lot of 2 minute downhill runs followed by 15 minute uphill walks :Cry:

I've moved to Sydney recently and getting back into riding again. I went to Manly Dam last weekend and found it pretty tame and too XC-orientated. Just wondering where most people head to?

Converted my bike from 2x9 to 1x10 today and I'm keen to try it out tomorrow!

Thanks.

cobby

Likes Bikes
I'm in the same boat, I took the downhill bike to manly dam last week.
There was a lot of 2 minute downhill runs followed by 15 minute uphill walks :Cry:
You took a DH rig to Manly Dam? Ouch. I managed the longer climbs on my Firebird, but they never paid off with jumps on the other side! :( Not going back there in a hurry.

Gravityfreak

Likes Dirt
Come up to Ourimbah on Sunday for the all mtn race. Not only will the track be really fun - you get a day of shuttles and get to meet some Sydney based riders. If youve never raced before this is the perfect event to give it a go.

Menai used to be good until the embargo (hopefully lifted soon!)

Most of the Menai riders have now shifted out to Kentlyn. Its got a bit of everything from an XC loop to a few downhill runs and free ride stuff.

Appin XC loop is always good for a bit of AM riding as its a bit more techy than your usual XC loop

Helensburg has a fair bit of slow speed techy riding, we normally park at the pool

Bulli also has some good single track with downhill runs

Gripo

Eats Squid
Can't wait for the new PM category......

"Proper Mountain" biking....looking forward to all the specific products aimed at this category.....

cobby

Likes Bikes
Can't wait for the new PM category......

"Proper Mountain" biking....looking forward to all the specific products aimed at this category.....
I'm much more interested in an AMPM category, since many of my AM rides end up being PM rides too.