[AM] Santa Cruz Nomad C 2013 "Cruz2" custom build - Finished!

norgan

Likes Bikes
This is my "10 year build", meaning I intend this to last 10 or more years, give or take some component replacements and upgrades over that time.
WP_20130224_002 (1).jpg
WP_20130221_001 (1).jpg

Frame - Santa Cruz Nomad c 2013
Rear shock - Fox float CTD 2013 kashima
Front shock/fork - Fox Talas 32 150mm 2011
Handlebars - Aozonic Risers (old but rock solid and just love the look of them)
Stem - Easton Vice
Headset - Chris King inset 1.5/1 1/8 taper
Grips - dmr lock on
Saddle - WTB race spec
Seatpost - Crank Bros Joplin 3
Front brake - Deore with XT rotor
Rear brake - Deore with SLX rotor
Cranks - XTR
Chainguide -
Chain - XTR
Pedals - DMR V12
Front derailleur - XT
Rear derailleur - SLX Shadow
Front shifter - SLX
Rear shifter - SLX
Cassette - SLX/Saint 11-28 (better transitions and cuts out those big rings no one ever uses)
Front hub - Hope pro2 blue
Rear hub - XTR
Front rim - Mavic XC 717
Rear rim - Mavic EN321
Spokes - DT Swiss Champion
Nipples - DT Swiss alloy blue
Tyres - Conti Traffic - Don't discount these tires till you've tried them. They perform great on the dirt and roll effortlessly on the hard stuff for my urban riding. Best tires I've ever had.Tubes - Conti
Total weight - 14.6 kgs

I'll let the pics do the rest of the talking 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152574504915008 a quick video tour

Finished state:
WP_20130220_011.jpgWP_20130220_012.jpgWP_20130220_016.jpgWP_20130220_013.jpgWP_20130220_015.jpg

Build stages, Posted in chronological order:
WP_20130218_003.jpgWP_20130219_001.jpgWP_20130219_004.jpg

WP_20130219_005.jpgWP_20130220_001.jpgWP_20130220_002.jpgWP_20130220_003.jpgWP_20130220_004.jpgWP_20130220_006.jpg
And a little Vid my neighbour made http://youtu.be/RO6eyimmXi8

Last edited:

nzblakis

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Very, very nice bike, im sure you'll be happy with it! :dance:

I have the same thing just with the 160mm fox 34 forks and it is very versatile.
I go from 80km road rides to doing awaba DH track :)

agentninety3

Likes Dirt
Sigh, all I want is a nice carbon frame by Santa Cruz...

Nice build so far. I have one thought though... TALAS forks... does anyone really use them to their potential? I have one on my Trance (because it came with it) and it basically stays in the 140mm position constantly. To me that suggests I'd be better off with (the slightly lighter) Float. I figure this would be even more of an issue with CTD.

nzblakis

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sigh, all I want is a nice carbon frame by Santa Cruz...

Nice build so far. I have one thought though... TALAS forks... does anyone really use them to their potential? I have one on my Trance (because it came with it) and it basically stays in the 140mm position constantly. To me that suggests I'd be better off with (the slightly lighter) Float. I figure this would be even more of an issue with CTD.
Yep - I had Talas on the last bike and I never adjusted the travel, just left it in 150mm mode, now I have the CTD 160mm and occasionally ill change to climb mode but not often. For me using a bit of the front forks travel balances out the slackish head angle on climbs.
Thats just me though, the talas system seems like a good idea on paper, I just never felt the need to use it.

norgan

Likes Bikes
Thanks guys, more pics coming soon.
I loved my old Talas and found these at a good price. I also love the colour of the Talas haha

Sent from my RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_304 using Board Express

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Noice Norgan

Call me conservative ... but I reckon it looks a little more classic with the black cable outers ... That said ... I have a nice blue Loaded 70mm AMXC stem :tape::ranger:

markb84

Likes Dirt
Very nice! The matte black looks great.

When's the cutoff for BOM Nerf? I'll try and get mine up so that there's a Nomad Carbon battle in there.

finksta

Likes Dirt
Holy shit! Nice work, this is one of the nicest bikes I have seen on here, you're gonna get a few looks out on the trails.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

norgan

Likes Bikes
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Its fiddly, sometimes frustrating work but its so worth it when you look at the finished product and know you built that with your own hands, right down to the custom spoke nipples on the wheel builds.

JBR

Likes Dirt
Awesome bike, I miss my nomad.

BUT...... put some real rubber on. Get some good tyres that will do that bike justice!

norgan

Likes Bikes
JBR, have you ever ridden Conti Traffics?? They are easily the best tire I've ever had. They amaze me how good they are on the dirt and I never feel that they are going to let go.
On the road they are quiet and have no discernable road noise and feel smooth as anything.
They are really not far off the x mark or mountain king in tread pattern.

D

Deleted member FN2187

I'm assuming the ten year build thing has been imposed by a spouse.

norgan

Likes Bikes
Why do you say that yogi? My first GT lasted 15 years.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
10 year build, its gonna take him 10 years to pay it all off!
very nice, i have the "standard" ally nomad, and it rocks...tyres though, im still trying to find a combo that works fo me - conti MK's are crap..speccy purg/captain are crap..maxxis crossmarks are crap, might just put my larsens back on!