[AM] Trek Scratch Air 9

Blackthorn

Likes Dirt
Here is my new XC / AM / DH bike. Thanks go out to My Mountain for the bike and upgrades.

Upgraded forks and shifting from stock, not too sure on weight but they are ~14.8kg stock, not too bad for a 170mm bike.

I have only demo ridden one so far so a full ride report will come in a week or two once I've given it a fair work out (the demo ride blew my mind, pedals like a Remedy, descends like a Session).

Still a few things to tweak such as the rear brake banjo, seatpost remote location and housing length and just need to tweak the suspension once the seals bed in.

Frame - 2011 Trek Scratch Air 9
Rear shock - Fox RP23 w/boost valve
Front fork - Fox 180mm TALAS RC2
Seatpost - Joplin 4
Shifting - X0
Wheels - DT Swiss E2000
Total weight ~ 15kg

stacky

Likes Bikes
Nice bike mate, especially with the 180mm Talas! Perfect for the Youies.
Ride her hard and let us know how it goes.

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No offense but the geo on these bikes have alot to answer for before they become a decent bike. I'm not hating on the trek, I own a 2011 session 88. Just this particular bike let's the whole line up down.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No offense but the geo on these bikes have alot to answer for before they become a decent bike. I'm not hating on the trek, I own a 2011 session 88. Just this particular bike let's the whole line up down.
What do you reckon is the problem?
I have a mate who is dead keen on picking 1 up as an allrounder/ light DH bike.

Blackthorn

Likes Dirt
Hey Mr_Hanky, First ride today and I'll have to disagree with you.

The geo feels pretty good for a long travel all round trail/AM bike. I rode a 20km XC loop with climbs/descents, mostly pretty tight with the occasional open blast. Its not too long to feel ungainly but definitely feels stable when letting loose. When climbing I left the forks in the lower position or else it gets a bit tall in the front end (I do have bigger than stock forks on), but it still climbs quite well. Even in the tighter stuff it still feels very flickable and agile.

Each to their own though, If anyone is thinking of picking one up I'd recommend a demo just to make sure, it really cemented it for me. Today blew my mind, this bike rocks, it climbs, descends, rails, launches and plows with ease :) it is not an xc race bike but for someone who doesn't mind earning their descents and doesn't mind going large when the going gets gnarly it really performs.

Summing up, it isn't a DH bike, so don't compare it with them, it isn't a lightweight trail bike, so don't compare it with them, it is a very capable do-everything bike that you could ride DH on then peddle back up and do it again and again and again. I love it.

Steve the dog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, I tryed selling off my dh bike for one of these to race with, they are super strong and totally huckable for the type of bike, its like a 2010 giant reign x0 on steroids :D I just dont have the money to be able to get one or else i'd deffinatly be riding one:cool:

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After the comments about the bike not riding well, I found a review on Bike Radar that gave it 4.5 out of five.

They didn't seem to have any issue with it.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
I must admit it was one of the bikes i was considering when purchasing a new bike recently, ( i went with the spec stumpy Evo), which is similair in ways to the trek, price was a big factor in my choice but i would have been comfortable getting one of these things without a worry, the looks are off the scale as well!

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Trek market it as their freeride bike. The geo isn't very freeride friendly. Their all mountain bike is the remedy. Thus bike is just stuck between a session and remedy, it doesn't know what it is. And that translate into poor geo. Your point is taken on board but at the end of the day it's fairly bias as you have gone and splashed the cash lol. I'm not alone in my opinions, dirt said the exact same thing in there recent issue, and my lbs also said the exact same thing. Ad he's a trek dealer. I just think they have to make a few changes till it's a nice bike.

Oldm8

Likes Bikes
I'm looking at the scratch or a Scott genius LT. Keep us posted on how the trek is going and has anyone ridden one of the scott's before??

Mobywan

Likes Dirt
I'm looking at the scratch or a Scott genius LT. Keep us posted on how the trek is going and has anyone ridden one of the scott's before??
Aren't they 2 very different bikes? I would have thought a Remedy would have been closer to the Genius in terms of where's it's pitched in the market?

Oldm8

Likes Bikes
Aren't they 2 very different bikes? I would have thought a Remedy would have been closer to the Genius in terms of where's it's pitched in the market?
The regular genius is but the LT has 185mm of travel as opposed to 150mm on the standard genius.

Mobywan

Likes Dirt
The regular genius is but the LT has 185mm of travel as opposed to 150mm on the standard genius.
Ah ok... makes sense. Didn't know that about the LT.

Oh and to the OP, damn nice bike. Are those E2000's a custom job for Trek?

Blackthorn

Likes Dirt
Mobywan, they are on DT's website so I'd say they aren't a cusom job.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, here is mine.

The scratch is a freeride bike, the scratch air is a long travel AM bike, having riden a remedy and a scratch air one after the other I can say that they both feel like AM bikes as opposed to dedicated freeride machines, I would recommend riding them both before splashing any cash as there are differences.

The bike makes perfect sense to me, hence I bought it, but I'd be hesitant to base my opinions on any reviews without also having had a ride as it will depend on your trails, riding style and riding preferences.

I will endeavor to update here once I've riden some more serious DH on it, hopefully this will help show the full capabilities of the bike.

Blackthorn

Likes Dirt
The 180 forks and x0 were extras on top, stock items are 160mm talas rlc forks and xt shifting, still pretty sweet gear. I got the bigger forks as I plan on taking it to Canada to go ride some bigger trails and I personally prefer SRAM shifting over shimano. At stock spec it is quite capable for just about any riding in oz.