AM/XC: What is the best chain to run?

downhiller96

Likes Dirt
hi guys

i have had abit of trouble with chains on my bikes…i have recently broken one, twice in 2 days and is now to short so i need a new one!
i am riding more the AM/ enduro and was wondering what the best chain to ride is? But i don't want to spend hundreds

thanks for any feedback :thumb:

cheers

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
What chain(s) have you used previously that have been no good?
Just so nobody suggests stuff you've already tried and had fail. :)

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I've broken quite a few XTR's but so far the KMC x10.93 has been faultless - as in I don't know its there other than keeping it clean and lubing it now and then.
Highly recommend, not sure how the lighter KMC chains go for durability or breakage?

What was your last chain?

downhiller96

Likes Dirt
I've broken quite a few XTR's but so far the KMC x10.93 has been faultless - as in I don't know its there other than keeping it clean and lubing it now and then.
Highly recommend, not sure how the lighter KMC chains go for durability or breakage?

What was your last chain?
What chain(s) have you used previously that have been no good?
Just so nobody suggests stuff you've already tried and had fail. :)
i don't know exactly what it is but from looking at it, its a KMC X10?

but by the sound of it i might just get the same one!
thanks for the feedback guys! :)

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I've been using an XT chain for a couple weeks now and had no issues... but it's a possibility I don't ride as hard. :nod:

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Shimano HG74 10 speed Chain (2011 Giant Reign 1 ) 'is the only chain I have ever broken'. I am no heavy-weight, but can be hard on shifting on the odd occasion.. I have used the KMC X9 SL chain without issue (on a different bike ), but now I just use Sram chains; mainly SRAM PC1051 10 SPEED ( Value for your money - never had an issue - I usually buy 2 or 3 of them when they are on special ). Surf the 'net' for the best price.. (or see your LBS)..:thumb:

Last edited:

carpetrunner

Likes Dirt
hollow pin chains are the answer... what was the question?

I went through a few chains when I started out.

Funny... it always happened when I was desperately crashing down a gear while out of the saddle :suspicious:

...anyway before I worked out I was the real problem, I also found that the hollow pin chains appear to be much more robust. I have been using SRAM PC991HP chains for over 4 years without an issue.

I reckon the rolled peen around the top of the hollow pin doesn't let go as easily as the solid pins with the top burred over.

- carpetrunner

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
If you're breaking them that often id have a look at your tension rather than the chain... Unless you're the type that plows through the roughest of rock gardens while smashing the shifter it seems like something is off to me.

RIDEGIANT

Likes Bikes
Can't go wrong with anything from KMC, but if you can, go for the 'X10 S' (not the fullysick bling gold one, that be the SL)

Shimano definitely. Just personal preference really

Cheers

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
SRAM cross step for me. Shimano have proven to be the most breakable in my experience and that of a few riding buddies.