AMB: Grant Allen injury update

Bulk

BulkNews Bot
http://australianmountainbike.blogspot.com/2011/04/grant-allen-injury-update.html

As some of you may have already heard, Australian mountain biking icon and legend, Grant Allen, suffered a terrible injury over the weekend. After crashing on a 60ft gap jump Grant broke 12 vertebrae and lost sensation in his legs. He has since undergone emergency surgery and we are all waiting to hear what the outcomes will be for long term recovery once the swelling goes down. Grant's good friend, Dan Peters, has told us that Grant is in amazingly good spirits and had begun to regain some sensation in his hips and legs. From Dan: "I actually spoke to him last night. The guy is amazing. He's in such good spirits for a guy with 12 broken vertebrae and not much feeling in his legs. The surgery went really well and in the last 24hrs he's started to have some improvements in his leg feelings. He can feel his hips and some sensations in his legs - with this continued improvement I'm hoping he'll be back on his feet. His spirits are so high and I've been getting messages all day from him saying he's already smashing out rehab. One crazy dude."
Our thoughts, love and healing vibes go out to you, Grant. We know you're going to get through this, mate.

More...

MTBcrash

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was shocked to hear about this :(
Here's hoping for a speedie and full recovery and all the best to him, his family and friends in what must be a stressful time

MTBcrash

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi Mel

Thanks for the update, I've been wondering about his progress. Kind of thought he'd be thinking of the 4 wheel mountain-chair thing if it came to that.
Better than that, let's just keep our fingers crossed it doesn't come to that and he makes a full recovery :)
Hope you and he, along with your families and friends are doing okay
Best wishes from my kids and I

Wayne :)

Grantallen

Cannon Fodder
Hi All
Its Grant's wife here (Mel) thank you for all of your best wishes. It really means a lot to myself and Grant. At this stage Grant can still not move his legs. He has slight sensation in the right one and can feel if I tap on it but other than that nothing. Despite of this he is unbelievably positive and cannot wait to be moved from the spinal unit to a rehabilitation center. He has no other major injuries - still has his crazy beautiful personality and can move his arms. He has already said that if he ends up in a wheel chair he will still do free - style mountain wheel chair-ing down those big gaps. Thanks for your continued support.

frank_n

Likes Dirt
Get well quickly and fully recovered - all of InsideLine MTB club / riders / huckers and SA weekend warriors all wish you well.
Frank

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Thanks for the update Mel, hopefully his condition improves and he keeps on smiling. Good luck!;)

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Cheers Mel wishing you all the very best.

Grant is a massive inspiration, quietly going about doing his thing while the show ponys were talking themselves up and waiting for the cameras to roll.

nicho

Sacré bleu!
Having met Grant through work at the shop and over the phone many times. He always seems to be in such good spirit and you could really see that he is one of those guys that is very generous in both his riding and personnality.

i could not wish more of a prompt rehab to a better guy.

All my best to you Mel, and wish Grant the fastest recovery on my behalf.

Nicho

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Damn, horrible to hear one of the positive people in the industry having trouble. All the best to him and a speedy recovery!

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
He was transferring from the hospital to start rehab on Thursday. No feeling yet in the left leg but could start to feel his toes in the right leg. Only two weeks in so that would have to be a good positive sign. His positivity is amazing and I am certain he will rise from this and ride again.

MTBcrash

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the update Dene Dweller
Sounds like good progress so far, here's hoping it continues the same way.
As you seem to know what's going on, would it be possible for you to post an update now and then for those of us that are curious how he is doing.
Would be great to follow his recovery and I'm sure his wife has enough to worry about at the moment.

Cheers

troyjaan

Cannon Fodder
Grant Allen

Went into the shop today to buy another bike from there and jokingly asked if they fired Grant already (I have bought 2 bikes from him recently so was wierd with him not there) and heard the news. I felt sick!!

Good luck mate and get well soon, you promised me a couple of rides!!!

Cheers,
Louis