Ampt Engineering - Ti pedals

Mattyp

Cows go boing
3d printed titanium in a highly stressed component that connects you to the bike... What could possibly go wrong....

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
3d printed titanium in a highly stressed component that connects you to the bike... What could possibly go wrong....
Wasn't there some issue with that where the max force data they were given and designed around was actually quite a way below the actual force generated by the cyclist(s) when taking off.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Wasn't there some issue with that where the max force data they were given and designed around was actually quite a way below the actual force generated by the cyclist(s) when taking off.
Yes. AusCycling cocking up as usual.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Mattyp

Cows go boing
I'm sure the pedals will get some stress and fatigue testing, I just wouldn't want to be the one going full "Courage Adams" off a stairset to flat to see if they hold up though.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
That's like saying all carbon composites are brittle and all aluminium is soft. All 3d Ti is not equal, and I'm sure Pat will have gone through countless design iterations and FEA studies based on the strength and fatigue properties of this particular material specification. He's not some random unqualified hack, I thought I made that apparent in the first post. Ultimately the proof will be in the real world testing.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
I'm sure the pedals will get some stress and fatigue testing, I just wouldn't want to be the one going full "Courage Adams" off a stairset to flat to see if they hold up though.
Yeah, 'cos a set of ultra light mtb pedals is the right parts selection for doing that.. :rolleyes:

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Bastion aren't random unqualified hacks either
I never said they were. Can only design to the parameters and information that's available.
Pat will have arrived at his strength, fatigue, stiffness and weight targets with a very different set of parameters and assumptions compared to your Bastion example.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
That's my attitude to nylon pedals. I know they should be fine, but they just give me the heebies.