An early election has been called

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Wait.....so all these years i've been drawing my own box on the ballot paper with my desired PMs name next to it i've been doing it wrong?? I'm well aware of how it works......and i'll thank you not to cast aspersions on how I go about voting.

I've voted in every election there has been since I was legally able to in 1998......so stfu with the name calling sunshine. Comprende?
My apologies. You sounded like so many people I've known who actually fit the description I mistakenly put on you.

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
Sad thing is people are going to vote against Labor rather than for Liberal (if you know what I mean?). Liberal will win and we will be lead by the baboon that is Tony Abbott.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I suspect very few know that, and vote for a party purely for their leader.....and vote for THAT party because their parents did.
There are occasionally anomalies to buck that trend. Where I grew up there was one serial pollie who went through the ranks of council & state before having a crack at federal level. This guy was a particularly abrasive self-flagellating twerp who would go to the opening of a fridge if he sensed a photo opportunity. Anyway, all the political experts predicted this guy would be a shoe-in because all the general polls favoured his party, but the reality was the community hated the guy, so they didn't vote for him, regardless of party lines.

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
I remain hopeful the back ground lobbyists in the liberal party (faceless men, as they love to hurl at the other side of politics) are watching the polls and are aware of the appropriate time line.

I will keep this and repost after the election to see if I am right.

Here is my prediction:

Whenever there is a leadership change of an unpopular leader the new candidate will normally have a month, sometimes two, of a honeymoon period where he polls quite well. To time this in an election is normally quite easy. 4-6 months out. 2 months honeymoon and 2-4 months of real campaigning.

The problem for turnball is that he is already polling quite high. The tricky part is his honeymoon period has already started around December. The power brokers would be wise to keep him in the wings for as long as possible and dump him in very late in the campaign. This is a risk as the closer to an election we get the more chance Abbott has of disillusioning the electorate. The Power brokers know this. There is no coincidence Turnball is turning up on Q&A in leather jackets and then back to suits later on.

I would think if we haven't seen a change by late May..... It's all over. Abbott will lead the party and we will more than likely en up with him as PM.

The situation everyone wants to avoid is another hung parliament. Labour is facing either a backlash that will see them lose power, or an absolute white wash.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
and in more important news, Anthony Mundine had it handed to him, and with his very own style, spat the dummy.

On the plus side for Julia Gillard, she is far more liked than mundine or kyle sandlilands (though hubby is a douche)

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
and in more important news, Anthony Mundine had it handed to him, and with his very own style, spat the dummy.
Yep, he's a wanker. Now that his boxing career is in the shitter .....maybe he can assist Kneebone up north? Oh wait.....she wouldn't be Aboriginal enough for him.

Zam

Likes Dirt
One of the best things come this election will be to see the Greens voted out and hopefully never to be seen or heard from again, they are easily more dangerous then either Labour or Libs...

John U

MTB Precision
One of the best things come this election will be to see the Greens voted out and hopefully never to be seen or heard from again, they are easily more dangerous then either Labour or Libs...
What, judging individual policies based on their merit, regardless of who raised them, is a bad thing?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
What, judging individual policies based on their merit, regardless of who raised them, is a bad thing?
Lol - straw man attempt!

Nah the greens just have no idea of the real world- economically ignorant, politically naive, and ecologically illogical

moorey

call me Mia
Yeah, particularly their focus on education, healthcare and free dental....outrageous!!!!

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Yeah, particularly their focus on education, healthcare and free dental....outrageous!!!!
oh and enviroment, gambling, keeping some mining revenue in the country and equality for all - what are they thinking

I understand that the labour party has empoyed the services/advice of Obama's consultants to follow a similar strategy for the campaign.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Or don't be a lazy cunt, do some fucking research, and vote for the candidate in your electorate who you believe will best represent your interests, instead of using the "They're all the same anyway" copout as an excuse for not making the slightest bit of effort.

You do realise we don't actually directly vote for PM in this country, right?
Your making a lot of assumptions there.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Dunno, he's an independent now so labor will only get a bit of grief about him and he doesn't have to stand aside till he's convicted which will probably drag out till after the election.
he was arrested on 1 count (out of 100+) charges of fraud................. one of them should stick.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
he was arrested on 1 count (out of 100+) charges of fraud................. one of them should stick.
Possibly. Time and a trial will tell.

Doesn't sound like his arrest is going to result in an early by-election though, unless he gets bankrupted and I suspect a half decent lawyer could drag things out till after the election.