An interesting thread from the US of A

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Interesting article. I think a lot of what get's mtb's banned from 'wilderness' is the media image of full face, armour wearing DH'ers shredding, barrelling down a track at a million miles an hour and getting huge air. The type of riders heading into wilderness areas are XC trail cruisers out for a ride with some mates and to look at the view. They aren't in a hurry and want to maintain the tracks properly so will keep the trail damage where the research shows.

Last edited:
But well written articles like this that promote rational discussion have no place in our sensationalistic shallow news media! :p

Fisher

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Haha, I love the Mr Vanderwhatsit guy who likes to rip on us Mountain bikers. By his logic we as mountain bikers are not discriminated against as we have the right to walk in the park, yeah righto mate. I had fun ripping into him too :)

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
I had fun ripping into him too :)
Doesn't work and just encourages him. He's been a serial pest on mtb forums for years and not even being charged with attacking two riders with a saw (he seems to of got off on the assault but convicted of threatening with a deadly weapon) had convinced him he and is crusade is irrational.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Interesting article. I think a lot of what get's mtb's banned from 'wilderness' is the media image of full face, armour wearing DH'ers shredding, barrelling down a track at a million miles an hour and getting huge air. The type of riders heading into wilderness areas are XC trail cruisers out for a ride with some mates and to look at the view. They aren't in a hurry and want to maintain the tracks properly so will keep the trail damage where the research shows.
Pffft, come on. what trail work do you do? and you don't race your mates?

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fair enough. Most riders will pick an MTB park for racing mates, as above wilderness trails are in areas for day long rides etc. Also didn't mean doing trail maintenance, more like not causing damage e.g. riding when muddy.

CanCer

Likes Dirt
I just think it's great that someone who isn't a rider is patient and thoughtful enough to see it as a viable activity, and not be quick to go 'I don't do it so therefore it mustn't be important'. :clap2: