(another) Fork Dillemma

jays_5000

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry about another fork thread...

My choice is more specific and I would really like replies from people who have some past experience....
Ok so I bent the original forks on my P.1. I snapped my mates forks I was using as a temporary replacement and now I need to decide...
I was thinking Sherman Jumpers all the way, but I'm not so sure at the moment..
What I want: 80mm to 110mm MAX, 20mm thru axle, STRONG!, stiff, I know with the other neccesaties I will have to compromise but I don't want an extremely heavy fork, and basicly the way I want it to perform is more or less un-existant so as that it doesn't bob a whole lot and soak up take offs and rhythms, but what I would like it to do is soak up hard hits from flat lands and basicly just cusion me...

Price - doesn't matter

The list so far:
Sherman Jumpers
Marzocchi DJ1's (2003)

Any help appreciated..

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
I have ridden both, and i have to say that the Shermans are much more impressive than my DJ1s. They are just as stiff and LIGHTER, which can only be a good thing.

udi

swiss cheese
All 2003 DJ's had the crown cracking issues too, so if you were planning on going down that road, make sure you get 04.

jays_5000

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The only thing with Jumpers is, I'm worried if they will be nice and plush like their bigger counterparts...
If that's the case, the extra weight of the DJ1's will have a lesser effect than a fork that slows me up on every take off..

jays_5000

Likes Bikes and Dirt
uDi said:
All 2003 DJ's had the crown cracking issues too, so if you were planning on going down that road, make sure you get 04.
2004's are out of the question, they are TOO heavy, I thought the DJ1 and 2 weren't affected because of the extra stiffness from the 20mm?

S.

ex offender
The 05 DJs are actually plush feeling (unlike the 04s) and will move around at least as much as the Shermans IMO.

Another (excellent) option would be the Manitou Stance Static, ~$500rrp, 20mm axle option, 80 or 100mm (don't know if it's convertible between the two, just that you can buy it in either setting). Only problem is that it too has cromo stanchions/steerer, so it's going to be heavy.

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
S. said:
The 05 DJs are actually plush feeling (unlike the 04s) and will move around at least as much as the Shermans IMO.
You ridden Sherman Jumpers? They aren't exactly "plush".

jays_5000

Likes Bikes and Dirt
S. said:

Another (excellent) option would be the Manitou Stance Static, ~$500rrp, 20mm axle option, 80 or 100mm (don't know if it's convertible between the two, just that you can buy it in either setting). Only problem is that it too has cromo stanchions/steerer, so it's going to be heavy.
That was the original idea but apparently Stance Static's aren't brought into the country with the 20mm option... They are 5.8lbs, I think Jumpers are 5.2lbs, I couldn't find any weights for Dirt Jumpers or MZ comps..

If the Jumpers aren't plush that's a good thing aye! I just watched the Bike Battle video and their forks (jumpers) LOOK like they are pretty good at what they are meant to do...

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
S. said:
Daver said:
S. said:
Did I say they were?
You hinted that they were plusher than the DJs...

The 05 DJs are actually plush feeling (unlike the 04s) and will move around at least as much as the Shermans IMO

S.

ex offender
Daver said:
S. said:
Daver said:
S. said:
Did I say they were?
You hinted that they were plusher than the DJs...

The 05 DJs are actually plush feeling (unlike the 04s) and will move around at least as much as the Shermans IMO
"At least as much" = as much, or (implicitly "likely") more than _____. I was taking into account that the DJs have air-assist, so you can preload them to hell.

jays_5000 said:
That was the original idea but apparently Stance Static's aren't brought into the country with the 20mm option... They are 5.8lbs, I think Jumpers are 5.2lbs, I couldn't find any weights for Dirt Jumpers or MZ comps..

If the Jumpers aren't plush that's a good thing aye! I just watched the Bike Battle video and their forks (jumpers) LOOK like they are pretty good at what they are meant to do...
I'm getting statics with 20mm axle.... but apparently I'm getting two sets of lowers (one qr, one 20mm), and I have to wait for them to arrive. :x

jays_5000

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll look in to the Statics availability tommorrow again.. A mate returned from the Bike Show after spending a fair amount of time in the SC tent speaking to the manitou guys (bought sherman sliders off him) and he seemed fairly confident that they were only being brought in at QR only..
One thing I was weary about with these was the new? 'fluid form' deal, but air assist appealed to me big time!

Oh and surely 03 Dirt Jumpers aren't that heavy... My 03 DJIII's weren't too bad..
But that's the kind of feel I'm going for.. 2003DJIII's with alot of air pumped into them if anyone has felt that set up before..

S.

ex offender
jays_5000 said:
I'll look in to the Statics availability tommorrow again.. A mate returned from the Bike Show after spending a fair amount of time in the SC tent speaking to the manitou guys (bought sherman sliders off him) and he seemed fairly confident that they were only being brought in at QR only..
One thing I was weary about with these was the new? 'fluid form' deal, but air assist appealed to me big time!

Oh and surely 03 Dirt Jumpers aren't that heavy... My 03 DJIII's weren't too bad..
But that's the kind of feel I'm going for.. 2003DJIII's with alot of air pumped into them if anyone has felt that set up before..
Ya, only QR versions are in the country atm, mine have been ordered in from the US apparently (dunno if they'll get a shipment of more 20mm ones with it or what). I think you mean "fluid flow" damping, fluid-forming is a way of making tubes and stuff fit a certain shape for strength. Chances are it'll be basic (ie not DH material), but I should imagine it'll be fine for street/dirtjumping. I can't see Manitou making a damper that shits itself after a week, traditionally that's been their strong point (heh, other than maybe the X-works dorito).

jays_5000

Likes Bikes and Dirt
S. said:
I think you mean "fluid flow" damping
That's the one! I knew what fluid form tubing is, just that was the word after fluid that was at the top of my head at the time haha...

Well at the moment it looks like Jumpers will be the way, I wish that Magura fork was brought into the country, that would be interesting to try out!

floody

Wheel size expert
S. said:
I can't see Manitou making a damper that shits itself after a week, traditionally that's been their strong point (heh, other than maybe the X-works dorito).
haha... I blew 8 Mach5 SX cartridges in one season, a couple of EFC's the year before and some FS Ti guts the year after...
I am assuming quality has improved since the mid 90's though...

Jayson, I believe the '05 dirtjumpers are around the 7.5lb mark. They are heavier by 0.02 lb than the 888.

What travel can you get a set of 2005 Z1FR's down to? I guess they only run at 130mm minimum.

'03 DJ's aren't uber heavy, but I know that going from an '03 QR DJIII on my mate's 125 to a Fox Vanilla 125R made a massive difference to how light it felt in the front, without much (if any) appreciable loss in stiffness, which kinda suggests to me that the weight of DJ's is superfluous to function...

jays_5000

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the Dirt Jumper weights, just there is no chance in hell I am getting a 2004/2005..

Only problem with a z150 is they are plush and as a suspension fork, they work really well... Not really what I'm looking for..
I used 2003 Dirt Jumpers before on my Norco Ryde and going from that to borrowing my mates bike with Fox's, I'd have to take the DJ's just because the Fox forks feel like shit on the skatepark..