Another Lame Tyre Question...maybe

Hi there Farkiners,

this seems very trivial considering the poor buggers in the fire areas, but I'll ask anyway.

I just had first ride on my new Trance X1 (bloody ace, BTW). I just want to change the front tyre from the Maxxis Crossmark UST to something less skatey in loose stuff. My old hardtail had a Crossmark on the rear and a Conti. Explorer on the front (non-UST) which was a pretty good fit.

A mate reckons Maxxis Ignitor on the front. What do you shmart people think?

Fanks an that!! :cool:

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The ignitor is more of a loam (loose soil) type of tyre than a hardpack or loose gravel.

Considering its a new bike, Fork settings could be a bit of a factor....But anyway

For maxxis you could get a:
High roller
Advantage

Considered intense tyres? They are a bit on the heavy side but will have that extra grip.
Intense system 5 - will give plenty of grip but comes in about 730grams, which is about 100g heavier than other xc tyres

People will flame me for this:
Kenda XC tyres are pretty competitive when it comes to XC tyres.
Plenty of tread designs to choose from - Look for an fast rolling tyre which is open between the centre lugs and the cornering knobs.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Hi there Farkiners,

this seems very trivial considering the poor buggers in the fire areas, but I'll ask anyway.

I just had first ride on my new Trance X1 (bloody ace, BTW). I just want to change the front tyre from the Maxxis Crossmark UST to something less skatey in loose stuff. My old hardtail had a Crossmark on the rear and a Conti. Explorer on the front (non-UST) which was a pretty good fit.

A mate reckons Maxxis Ignitor on the front. What do you shmart people think?

Fanks an that!! :cool:
An Ignitor would be a step in the right direction. I have also heard good things about Advantages as 3viltoast3r suggested

In rocky and dusty conditions I got excelent results from running a crossmark UST on the rear, and a Hutchinson Barracuda Tubless Light 2.3" on the front.

High roller
The High Roller 2.1 XC LUST is the worst cornering tyre I have ever tried. I have a pretty new one hanging in my shed, beacuse it even sucked as a rear tyre.

Last edited:

Ivan

Eats Squid
Its strange you say that, AMB rated a similar model as best in an All-mountain tyre shootout.
Similar being the key word in your statement.

The High Roller in other widths and non-UST gets pretty good reviews from everyone, and although I haven't used one for DH in over 3 years, I do remember it to be a fairly good tyre.

However, the profile of the 2.1 UST XC model is very narrow and very round. It is more like a 1.9" than a 2.1".

To me it would seem that Maxxis just tried to pump out a LUST tyre in a well known and liked tread pattern without actually testing it.

smeck

Likes Dirt
Johnny, I had a similar problem running Crossmark 2.10's but the front end issues were fixed with a bit more preload and a bit less rebound in the fork. That got rid of the skatey feeling in the front end, traction though was still not ideal.

I have since changed to Geax Saguaro 2.20's for better traction in the loose over hardpack trails, and I'm happy so far.

Dan76

Likes Dirt
TYRES for XC all mountain

Maxxis Crossmark on the front and ignitor on the rear you can't go wrong. I ride the Ourimbah forest all the time which is a mix of hard pack and loose dirt and never have any dramas. I run 2.1 width but these tyres can be bought in wider widths.:D

NCR

Likes Bikes
I had similar issues on the loose/dry stuff with the stock Michelin tyres that came on my Trance (08 model). After my first few rides I was very dissapointed with the bike and was wondering if I had made a bad decision.

After searching around this forum I decided to go with Maxis Advantage on the front and Crossmark on the back, both 2.1 as opposed to the 2.0 width of the Michelins. WOW! The difference was amazing and transformed the bike into a trail weapon. It must be said that this is the only other tyre combo I have ever tried but it is amazing the difference to the feel of the whole bike when a change is made.

I suppose it could be a bit of trial and error to see what suits you and your local trails.

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
Spanky loves his Ignitor front, Larson rear combo... went away from it a while ago... straight back to it.

enjoy your new found grip....

s