ANOTHER mass shooting in the states.

moorey

call me Mia
Was about to tell you that you were slow on the navy yard massacre. FUCK!!!!

The first mass shooting (12+ people killed) in the states was in the 30's..... There have been heaps.... More than half of all of them have occurred in the last couple of years. Problem much?

driftking

Wheel size expert
They will never learn at least as long as they let the public decide the fate. It will take a very unpopular decision from the government to unite against the current Constitution and implement gun laws, but its going to be the best thing they can do.

I think most of us have seen the gun debates with john Oliver if not the 3 part series is here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pOiOhxujsE&list=PLoO6eym0L0F3mJ7qk4ogi8loeiMH8Osrj

Have you seen the new law for starbucks?, they no longer allow guns in the store and immediately people are saying they will no longer buy starbucks because its against their constitutional right.

moorey

call me Mia
In Ohio, its illegal to refuse someone the right to carry a concealed weapon. They are being issued to sex offenders, and to date, 6 blind people.
In Colorado, its illegal for police to enforce FEDERAL gun laws. They have their own. If police try to enforce federal laws, they can be imprisoned for 12 months. You're also allowed to carry a gun onto a playground.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
America have a lot of overlapping laws.. For the states that have medicinal/recreational weed legal federal law overlaps the state laws as under federal law it is Illegal both medicinally and recreationally I think.

Any way. The simple fix for their gun laws is to make it harder to get guns in the first place.. From my understanding, at least in Montana you don't even need a gun licence to purchase firearms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Montana

But that won't stop criminals from getting the guns and shooting people with them though, as no matter the gun laws, crimminals will ALWAYS get the guns, it just makes it harder for law abiding civilians to attain the guns because of some dumbasses who can't handle weapons properly or have no respect for how dangerous guns are, than you got the criminals inflating the problem.

Last edited:

Disc

Cannon Fodder
Wont be the last mass shooting we hear about in America , they are their own worst enemy with their gun laws , lets hope Australia never ends up in the same situation .

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Was about to tell you that you were slow on the navy yard massacre. FUCK!!!!

The first mass shooting (12+ people killed) in the states was in the 30's..... There have been heaps.... More than half of all of them have occurred in the last couple of years. Problem much?
Well... That is 12 less Americans.

Sorry! Don't mean it... sick puppy.

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
But that won't stop criminals from getting the guns and shooting people with them though, as no matter the gun laws, crimminals will ALWAYS get the guns, it just makes it harder for law abiding civilians to attain the guns because of some dumbasses who can't handle weapons properly or have no respect for how dangerous guns are, than you got the criminals inflating the problem.
True enough, but at least you'll be hindering the ease of picking up a weapon, hopefully giving some timeframe to allow for thediscovery of said illegal intent.

Most people have probably already seen this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pOiOhxujsE

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
They will never learn at least as long as they let the public decide the fate. It will take a very unpopular decision from the government to unite against the current Constitution and implement gun laws, but its going to be the best thing they can do.

Have you seen the new law for starbucks?, they no longer allow guns in the store and immediately people are saying they will no longer buy starbucks because its against their constitutional right to shoot mutha fuckers while enjoying a tripple decaf moccha frappe.
Caffiene and semi automatic firearms, its what the American Constitution was founded on. I'd be willing to bet my left jatz, that 96.3% of these douche bags banging on about their constitutional rights have never read their constitution, or anything without pictures for that matter.

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
semi automatic firearms, its what the American Constitution was founded on.
Wasn't it made back in the days of muzzle loading muskets or whatever they're called. You know, the ones that fired one shot and then you had to clean the barrel, force some gunpowder and a ball down the barrel and then fire?

I should add that the problem nowadays is the high capacity magazines and rapid fire that is seemingly everywhere.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Wasn't it made back in the days of muzzle loading muskets or whatever they're called. You know, the ones that fired one shot and then you had to clean the barrel, force some gunpowder and a ball down the barrel and then fire?

I should add that the problem nowadays is the high capacity magazines and rapid fire that is seemingly everywhere.
Isn't the real problem the socio economic factors (lack of social security system) combined with a lack of support services for mental health?
Maybe I am a bit naieve.

I just can't help that think if there were quality mental health services then maybe a lot of these shootings could have been avoided before the perpetrators escelated to this stage?

I work in mental health and the amount of people with suicidal ideation, paranoid ideation and physically threatening behaviours is HUGE.
Most of these clients are treated and given a real chance through a development plan by a dedicated case manage who overseas the mental health of the client over a period of months or even years. Only when a client is deemed stable are they discharged from the service. And even then they are given regular followups.

They don;t have anything like that over there as far as I am aware.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
After Port Arthur - the government made sweeping changes to gun laws. It does /can have an impact.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
After Port Arthur - the government made sweeping changes to gun laws. It does /can have an impact.
But did it have an ipmact?
How many mass shooting happen in Aus before Martin Bryant? And how many have happened since?
Wasn't Port Arthur just a one off?

Post Port Arthur I was in Melbourne when the Lygon Street massacre happened. Did the changed gun laws stop that?

I don't know. And I guess you can't know because how can you measure what would or would not have happened if they were or weren't implemented.

I think the gun laws in Aus are good. I had to go through hell and high water to get my licence.
I like that. I like the security of knowing that it's hard to get a licence and a firearm. It takes forever and there is so much red tape involved.

When I moved to Tassie I didn't have a police approved safe storage facility at my new address so they told me I had to get rid of my guns and hand in my licence as I could not provide a genuine reason for keeping them.
That's a good thing!
Unless you're a digger and you have your maiden lee enfield taken off you because now you are not at war you don't have a 'genuine reason'. I reckon they should get to keep their guns.

Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Less legitimate weapons in circulation means less illegal firearms finding their way into wrong hands. Criminals are generally lazy, the harder you make it for them to acquire the guns the more likely the are to give up trying, and go smoke some shard.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
But did it have an ipmact?
How many mass shooting happen in Aus before Martin Bryant? And how many have happened since?
Wasn't Port Arthur just a one off?
There were 10 in the preceding 10 years. In the years following the Port Arthur shootings there has been only one incident, a student killed his teacher and a fellow student at monash. Technically this doesn't count as a mass shooting there needs to be 3 or more fatalities. The Lygon Street "massacre" i think you are referring to doesn't count either, as there were only two fatalities and they were known criminal figures, this is classified as a gangland slaying. So from 1987 up to and including Port Arthur thats 73 deaths in mass shootings. 2 in the following 17 years. Pretty convincing evidence that the laws might have had a little impact.

Last edited:

Matt H

Eats Squid
-Working class area of chicago
-Basketball court
-Dreadlocked shooter in a sedan

Would it be too prejudiced of me to assume it might be gang related?

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Less legitimate weapons in circulation means less illegal firearms finding their way into wrong hands. Criminals are generally lazy, the harder you make it for them to acquire the guns the more likely the are to give up trying, and go smoke some shard.
exactly knuckles - the majority guns being used here in OZ by crims are illegal - in the US they are legit and can be brought with a carton of beer from the sports store or stolen from your neighbour when they are out at church.