another noob shock question

puffnfresh40

Likes Dirt
complete noob at this shock business.
got a dhx5.0 with a 375x3 spring in it... i blew the seals as im a fat lil f*ck so looking at 500x3.25 spring. will this 3.25 spring fit?
cheers.

metalhead39

Likes Bikes
what bike do you ride cause that size is the size the older style glory frames use not sure on the new one though, check the original size eye to eye (where the top bolt goes to where the bottom bolt goes), but in saying that some shocks dont quite fit into some frames cause the new RC4 from fox barely fits in the demo and carnt fit in some other frames cause it knocks. So ask your lbs to which shock would be best and shop around there are some good deals on here to be had. Happy riding:)

puffnfresh40

Likes Dirt
thanks champ however im not after a shock im after a spring that will fit into my shock. and i ride a 2007 GT DHi with 8.5" of rear travel.

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
puffnfresh40 said:
thanks champ however im not after a shock im after a spring that will fit into my shock. and i ride a 2007 GT DHi with 8.5" of rear travel.
Yes, it will fit. The 3.25 isn't the stroke size, it indicates you can run .25" of preload on a 3" stroke shock.

lawry

Likes Dirt
I was under the impression that the 3.25 was the shock stroke.

Isn't .25 a shit load of compression???

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get a 500 x 3 inch .
The 3 is for the shock stroke . The 500 < pounds > ect is for the pressure to move the the shock per inch .
A 500 spring is usually for people around the 75/85-90 kg weight , depending on your tyre pressures and shocks compression .

supergayracer

Likes Dirt
A 3.25 spring will work on a 3 inch stroke DHX because being a 3.25 spring it will be a Fox spring - this is why.....
Unlike some manufacturers, Fox mark the actual spring travel capacity on the spring, not the stroke of shock it is intended for. so 3 inch stroke DHX runs a 3.25 spring, and 2.75 shock runs a 2.8 etc. Rockshox and Manitou mark the recommended shaft travel instead. On your DHX run either a 3.00 manitou spring or a 3.25 fox. Rockshox springs are a different diameter.