Another online bike store thread...

S.

ex offender
If there was an Australian online bike store that offered a good range of high-end stuff at prices LBS's couldn't match, would you buy from it? Bikefanatic and Phantom seem to be alright, but neither one is regularly updated, and Bikefanatic doesn't seem to really have a comprehensive range of anything.
Would you guys buy from something along the lines of www.unrealcycles.com if it was Australian? Are you competent in taking apart everything (ie if you buy something online, can you fit it/work on it yourself)?

Or are you loyal to your LBS? I'm pretty loyal to my LBS myself, they've been great to me... but even with what discounts I may be able to get there, buying online would nearly always be a cheaper option.

Do you think there's a niche in the Aussie market for online stores?

Discuss.

SpectRe

Likes Dirt
I would definitely consider buying stuff from an online bike store with competitive prices and a decent range. I think the same thing about bikefanatic...theyre serisouly lacking in 'product diversity' lol. I can only get so much of my gear at wholesale (eg. axo/661 riding gear and most mainstream bike components) and with mountain bike racing being so expensive, really need to get things at reasonably good prices.

Going off on a bit of a tangent...but did anyone happen to notice the XT disc brakes on supergo.com going for US$99 an end!!! they sold pretty quickly... not taking the current situation of the aussie dollar and even including shipping/importing costs, its still a damn good deal!

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
a personal kind of online bike store like unreal cycles is just like an LBS, just because the storefront is a website rather than a shop on some street, doesn't change anything. Most bike shops can't afford to stock high-end mtb gear, it's just too expensive to do. So why not have a specialized shop for just this niche market? I think it's good how Unreal cycles works more like a shop than other 'e-commerce' style online shops, where you send a few email's to Ben and work out a good deal.

Ryan

Radministrator
Unrealcycles.com is rad, but you'd have to wonder whether an Aussie version of such a site could offer prices that would be competitive with, well, unrealcycles.
If the pricing could be competitive I'd definitely think about buying from one, though I don't know if the niche market in Australia would be a large enough one to support a shop.

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ryan said:
Unrealcycles.com is rad, but you'd have to wonder whether an Aussie version of such a site could offer prices that would be competitive with, well, unrealcycles.
If the pricing could be competitive I'd definitely think about buying from one, though I don't know if the niche market in Australia would be a large enough one to support a shop.

...it's a very cheap way to run a buisness, you don't pay rent for the shopfront, employees 6/7 days a week, etc. The pricing would be competitive with most things, if you take into account shipping, it'll be sweet. I paid over $100 shipping for a fork and two tires from the US. The main problem with the whole thing is the crappy australian distributers who don't give a f@ck.

Ryan

Radministrator
Yeah, but the low overheads would only be on a par with those of U.S. bike shops. Crazy prices from online bike stores come from the fact they buy in crazy bulk quantities, not just because they have low overheads.

S.

ex offender
Ryan said:
Yeah, but the low overheads would only be on a par with those of U.S. bike shops. Crazy prices from online bike stores come from the fact they buy in crazy bulk quantities, not just because they have low overheads.
Unreal Cycles' overheads:
- Wholesale cost on stock
- Insurance
- Website/business phone line

The guy runs it out of his own home I believe (or he did). Buying in huge bulk lowers wholesale prices for sure, but if you can make your profit margin as narrow as possible, the prices are just as competitive. Eg Unreal.... and they don't BS around with "Blowout sale on 1989 Manitou Suspension forks, only $0.50!".

S.

ex offender
Ty` said:
didn't ben from unreal move to a shop in San Francisco earlyer this year?
Uhh, somewhere in Washington I think? Is SF in Washington?

<--- knows nothing about where shit is

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Socket said:
Ty` said:
didn't ben from unreal move to a shop in San Francisco earlyer this year?
Uhh, somewhere in Washington I think? Is SF in Washington?

<--- knows nothing about where shit is
Isn't he in Seattle?

[edit] "Unreal Cycles moved! We're now located in the Ballard area of Seattle, Washington" [/edit]

Ty

Eats Squid
SF is in CA, seattle is like the next major city up the west coast. i knew it was somewhere in that area.

dhd

Downhill Direct
The main problem with the whole thing is the crappy australian distributers who don't give a f@ck.
It's waaayyyyy more complicated than that. As you probably know I run DH Direct and it's quite the contrary here.....I personally got into this gig to "save the Aussie MTB world from stoopidly high prices" It's something I still feel passionate about as I know first hand what it is like to be a struggling sport class racer with bugger all money to spend on bike stuff. Y

The reality is:
As you said yourself, Shipping costs to Australia are stupidly expensive.
Customs seemingly screw you over for every possible cent.
Shops won't touch anything I import if I go undercutting them and sell direct to the public.....the reality is they sell 95% of our stuff.
The importer wants a margin (we don't work our freckles off for "love")
The shop owner wants a margin.(they don't work their freckles off for "love")
So suddenly a 10 part becomes a $30 part....Sad but true.

Having said all that it also comes back to the consumer. I could start my own brand name up and sell the same product as say DMR (example only) at about 1/2 the price. Problem is you guys don't want an unknown brand (that is made in the same factory) you want the Coca Cola marketing hype brand because it's "cool"..........Pretty much shooting yourselves in the foot! The "hip" stuff is owned and marketed by the big guys.....hard to make it cheap when they hold the cards.

If you are interested in the non "Coca Cola" brand keep an eye out at Bikefanatic and in our specials pages.......they are coming and they will be good quality.
OK I'm off the soapbox now.

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Dhd, thanx for the info but just on the Unknown brands stuff. I think everyone here is always wary of new stuff and specially unknown stuff and will almost always go for the tried and tested stuff. What we realy need is for a few of these new products to be sent out to places like Farkin which has a review team that will run the parts throught there paces and give an honest feed back. I dont' think it is that people (well most of us on the forum) buy a prodcut because it is X brand but rather because someone else has one and they have feedback on the good the bad and the ugly of that particular component. Even sending out little things like grips will get the unknown brand into a more recognised, TRUSTED brand.

Oh, And I realy love DHD, got some good quality stuff for dirt cheap prices if you shop at hte right time. Any news on getting any more unknown or hard to get brands into australia? I would love to see a site like DHD get in ROMIC stuff *hint hint wink wink*

Damo

Likes Dirt
good topic. I reckon there is definately a market for e-bike shops in Aus. I've bought everything for my bike in the last 2 years over the net & saved a bundle. It teaches ya how to fix and set ya own rig up too. I've had enough of LBS's screwin up my bike with dodgy tools.

And on the diverse range topic, just ring the guys up if they don't hav it on the site. phantom's great for that. Kerry usually puts something up on the web if you ask about it.

Support it & save!

cE

Likes Dirt
I would definitely buy online (and do so) if it is cheaper than at a shop (and this is usually the case!). I buy from both Aussie and overseas sites, with the state of our dollar at the moment, there are plenty of bargains to be had.
On the other hand, I do support my LBS, they are great mechanics, I go there all the time for repairs that I can't handle, and for things I need that I don't want to wait for (inner tubes, lubes, cables, etc). However, they don't have a large range of stock and most of it is lower end stuff.
If they had the sort of high end stuff I was after, and it was only slightly more expensive than buying online...then I would buy from them. Unfortunately that's hardly ever the case.
As for there being a niche in the Aussie market for big online bike stores? FOR SURE!
My 2c...

adam

Likes Dirt
i think its a great idea, i was toying with the idea at one stage, i still think about it. But would there be a strong enough market here to support it? The good old US of A is much larger than us, and there are a lot more riders. I spose it might though. Even if you moved into the hardcore BMX/dirt jumper market it might be easier to make a living.:)

Adam

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
:mrgreen: I buy from Phantom all the time. My LBS is pretty weak. They turned themselves into one of those bike warehouses, and now the service is so inconsistent and expensive it's not worth it any more.

Kerry at Phantom has been great, he honours warranty, exchanges parts, he even keeps in touch to see how the stuff has worked out.

I know that online purchasing hurts the LBS, but until I get decent dervice from the LBS, I'm sticking with Phantom. My LBS won't even let you test ride a new bike in the car park.

cE

Likes Dirt
Kerry at Phantom has been great, he honours warranty, exchanges parts, he even keeps in touch to see how the stuff has worked out.
I agree. Kerry's customer service is top-notch, I have nothing but positive experiences in my dealings with Phantom cycles. Any aussie online bike stores should aim to be at least as this good...haven't tried any of the newer ones though, so can't comment on them.

adam

Likes Dirt
yeah, kerrys great. I always shop there, theyve always got what i want in stock, and i get next day delivery!

Adam