Another question about the brakes.

Brent

Likes Bikes
I got the whole bolt issue sorted so its all set put properly now :D

But when using the brakes the front leaver doesn’t seem to grab the disc all that well until the leaver has gone through a fair amount of travel.

I’ve tried adjusting the cable and having the moving pad sitting closer to the disc but it still seems to take a while to "grab". I’ve also found that having pad sitting any closer it rubs on the disc.

Is there anything I can to do (other than what i have already done) to get it them to grab earlier?

I have Armor cable discs for those that haven’t read the other threads

Thanks

Rik

logged out
Maybe, if you can, play around with different brake levers.
For a cable disc, the lever choice is pretty crucial, go for an Avid Speed Dial, or a Shimano with power modulation.

DEVLIN

Likes Dirt
I like a function that the previous model XTR lever of having a fair bit of cable pull at the start, then when the cable pulled tight the leverage point slid to a more powerfull ratio. Maybe something like this would help getting to the disc from a good distance with good power once engaged. Other shimano levers may have this function as well but don't trust me on that..

Rik

logged out
I think most of shimanos levers have it now, called "servo wave", moreso intended for cantilever brakes but still makes alot of sense for both V's and discs.
But, each cable disc will work best with different levers, so either swapping them around, or finding one with adjustability, is the best solution.

The reason for the adjustability, you need to find the sweet spot between cable pull and leverage, getting the pads to clear the rotor, having enough power to have strong braking, yet not too much power to give a "squishy" feel at the lever through caliper flex. A bit of playing around will find this sweet spot.
Using good cables, such as Jaqwire compressionless cable outer, will help give your brakes better feel too.