Another stuck thread

hakka

Likes Dirt
I know everyone loves these threads.

Trying to remove the outer bolt on a set of raceface cinch cranks, i've beat the shit out of it and it's going nowhere.

The hex has started to deform a bit. Right now have it soaking in WD40, I'll give it a few hours and try again.

Any other suggestions?

Attachments

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I haven't used it, but it looks like a worthy candidate for the freeze and release treatment. Failing that, have you got an impact driver, vs. the slow hand tool?

hakka

Likes Dirt
I haven't used it, but it looks like a worthy candidate for the freeze and release treatment. Failing that, have you got an impact driver, vs. the slow hand tool?
I don't have an impact driver but I'll grab one tomorrow.

What is the freeze & release treatment?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It is a spray that freezes the metal, in theory shrinking it and releasing it. I tried once on a stuck seat post without success. It was a bit chilly on my poorly clothed body.

That bolt looks ready to go, you might be in trouble! I've had a few Raceface cranks over the years and they are often a mother fucker to get off. Heavy and consistent pressure usually works in the end. Bike upside down, tool in as far as I can get it for maximum surface contact, extend tool with pipe/post/whatever, and really lean into it. All my weight and force it down hard and consistently...one hand on the tool and the other on the crank arm. Get a fat mate to help put if you have one. Sharp jerky bouncey pressure is what usually deforms the bolt.

hakka

Likes Dirt
Bike upside down, tool in as far as I can get it for maximum surface contact, extend tool with pipe/post/whatever, and really lean into it. All my weight and force it down hard and consistently...one hand on the tool and the other on the crank arm.

That got it, thanks mate.

hakka

Likes Dirt
The top of the bolt is bent out of shape, I had a big crash a few weeks back and the bike tumbled down a rocky hill, it probably took a hit from a rock along the way.

Attachments

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The top of the bolt is bent out of shape, I had a big crash a few weeks back and the bike tumbled down a rocky hill, it probably took a hit from a rock along the way.
...that seems unlikely unless the bolt was loose or already bent. The pedal or crank or spider or chain ring would surely bend first? I'm only guessing, but I've seen cranks etc bend after solid hits, even a RF dh crank. To bend one of those hollow forged mega diameter bolts would take a lot of force!

hakka

Likes Dirt
...that seems unlikely unless the bolt was loose or already bent. The pedal or crank or spider or chain ring would surely bend first? I'm only guessing, but I've seen cranks etc bend after solid hits, even a RF dh crank. To bend one of those hollow forged mega diameter bolts would take a lot of force!
Looks like it's hit right on the end of the bolt, crank is deformed too. I've noticed the odd clunk since the crash, felt like a loose crank, that's why I was pulling it apart to check. Drivetrain didn't seem to be running smooth around the chainring the other day too.

Bike went about 8 meters in the air and came down in a rock garden, I was flat out in top gear down a hill.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Gee, lucky you didn't get all bent too with a big off like that.

Call it collateral damage and off for a shiny new crankset :)

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Looks like it's hit right on the end of the bolt, crank is deformed too. I've noticed the odd clunk since the crash, felt like a loose crank, that's why I was pulling it apart to check. Drivetrain didn't seem to be running smooth around the chainring the other day too.

Bike went about 8 meters in the air and came down in a rock garden, I was flat out in top gear down a hill.
That's pretty big.

FatMuz

Likes Dirt
Are they Race Face Aeffect cranks?

I had a similar experience on a new set of Aeffect cranks but my bolt totally rounded off and couldn't be removed.
I didn't want the cranks, so in the end I actually had to cut them off. Absolute pieces of shit.

Muz