Another Trail Advocacy Event in Manly-Warringah

Cuthbert

Likes Dirt
Just letting everyone know that I have been asked to speak on MTB trail access at the next meeting of the Friends of Narrabeen Lagoon Catchment Group, which is on next Monday 22 Feb @ 7pm. Given the current Manly Dam track fiasco this could not be more timely. As many of you know, this organisation has deep roots with the National Parks Association and there is likely to be a large anti-MTB contingent present. I will be stating our case that there is a real need for additional legal trails and to argue that trails can be constructed in a sustainable manner with minimal environmental impacts.

The MTB forum will consist of two speakers, myself & one NPA member who will each give a verbal presentation prior to an open discussion. I expect to be met with some rather outspoken opposition on the night, so some support from the MTB community would be greatly appreciated as a means of demonstrating we are a large active user group. Also, Michael Regan, the mayor of Warringah will be present on the night so it is a great opportunity to further present our case to him.

The meeting details are as follows:
Narrabeen Tramshed @ 7pm
1395A Pittwater Road, Narrabeen
(on west side of road, just south of North Narrabeen shops)

Hope to see you on the night.

Dave
DH Coordinator, MWMTB

samjam

Likes Dirt
good luck mate and all those who ride the trails....turn up in numbers and be respectful,you will be surprised where that can get you.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Have you put this on Nobmob as well Dave ?? needs more local support.

What Club attendance will be there ... I'd expect the entire committee surely.

Is this focused on any tracks in particular ... Deep Creek maybs ?

I'll try to make it ... a Chinamen in a suit always puts them off balance :p may even treat them to a ping pong dance

dcrofty

Eats Squid
.turn up in numbers and be respectful,you will be surprised where that can get you.
Good advice.

There are going to be some outspoken people here and there might be some emotional comments made.

I'm gonna try and make it.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Have you put this on Nobmob as well Dave ?? needs more local support.

What Club attendance will be there ... I'd expect the entire committee surely.

Is this focused on any tracks in particular ... Deep Creek maybs ?

I'll try to make it ... a Chinamen in a suit always puts them off balance :p may even treat them to a ping pong dance
Ahh Al you crack me up, you come out with some of the best and funniest posts of late, last couple of posts i have read of yours i been pissing myself!
Back on topic,
I hope it all goes well, we in the mountains and the "turgid riders" in particular wish you the best, i fear that we in the mountains are going to be facing similair problems to you guys, ie: people using a certain high school to gain access to a trail when it is now illegal and they want to start prosecuting, also people ripping around local trails after massive downpours further accelerating the degradation, this has been very prevalent in the last couple of weeks, also littering, GU's are a dead giveaway to who did it!
Lots of walkers use these trails and its only a matter of time before it gets ugly!

unitec

Likes Dirt
How to identify ourselves as MTB supporters?

I will definitely be going if only to see Al in his shiny suit again.
I am fairly confident that we will have some eloquent speakers however to win the night we need both a good argument and have a larger turnout of well mannered MTB supporters than our opposition. Lets face it the mayor is a politician and will probably be more influenced by the number of people (votes) than and good argument.
Problem I see is that to the untrained eye it may be difficult to distinguish between ourselves and our opposition.
Turning up looking like rough assed MTB riders may not work as some of the bush walking/tree hugging folk do rough assed just as well as we do. The only thing I could think of was to take our helmets & put them on when Dave speaks??
I’m sure that someone else will have a better idea.

BT180

Max Pfaff
I was going to wear my Farkin t-shirt but that’s probably not the right image?? :confused:

Need something with a reference to cycling on it.

J@se

Breezeway Bandit
I'll try to get there for the meeting. Dunno about helmets Unitec, I'm just going to wear a t-shirt that references cycling in its logo.

Al if you're wearing a suit I'll bring my Fullface so you can put that on for your Ping Pong dance.:p

unitec

Likes Dirt
I guess that if we are all standing together and give a round of applause after Dave speaks our numbers will be felt.
Hoping that the agenda will be kept on track to support ALL Mtb disciplines.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I'll be there. Warringah council has a long and sordid history of screwing things up so I'm really steamed about the Manly Dam issue and hot to trot on MTB advocacy on the northern beaches. I promise to be on my best behaviour but I can't promise not to growl at the NPA hippies.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I'll be there. Warringah council has a long and sordid history of screwing things up so I'm really steamed about the Manly Dam issue and hot to trot on MTB advocacy on the northern beaches. I promise to be on my best behaviour but I can't promise not to growl at the NPA hippies.
Do you get a badge being at Treasury ??? cap maybe ... any sign of officialdom.

Ping Pongs our out of storage and currently being warmed ... wow chiccy wah wah

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Thanks to all those that are going along to give Dave some support. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to get up there in time.