Another Warranty question

Brylev81

Likes Bikes
What are peoples views on this.

Recently purchased a new bike from my LBS. It is not even 3 months old and due to not much time to ride it has done less than 100km.

I noticed at the weekend that the rubber frame guard on the down tube is coming unstuck and appears not to have been fitted correctly. Popped into the shop to show them and the guys took the bike of me straight away and said they would contact the manufacturer. The "solution" from the manufacturer is they advised the LBS to effectively put some double sided sticky under the frame guard which has not fixed the problem and told me if it doesn't work try some silicon.

My thoughts really are that this is not good enough from the manufacturer and the LBS shop possibly push them harder. I don't expect a new frame, but I feel I should get a better outcome than a patch up on a brand new bike.

In the last few years I have bought 6 bikes from this shop, 5 from the same brand as the one with the issue, and think I should be entitled to a better solution than this. On the flip side, I have a great relationship with the shop and don't want to ruin that by something that may be seen as a petty.

Do people think I should go back and push a bit harder or just live with it?

Brylev81

Likes Bikes
Depends, how was it mounted to begin with?
Its a stock item that was factory fitted and appears to be mounted with some sort of adhesive that has either not bonded properly or was not applied to the whole guard

trek_remedy_29_14.jpg

This is the guard I am talking about

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
that doesnt look like a really big issue. if you have a good relationship with the shop that you wish to maintain, suck it up and stick it on good. while that guard will make the bike ride quieter in rocky spary it really isnt that important.

but....im fussy and petty and like my stuff to work properly when i buy it. i'd burn the bridge with the shop and be a total jerk until the resolved the issue correctly. afterall you have paid for that guard to be fully functional and it isnt.

Brylev81

Likes Bikes
[

but....im fussy and petty and like my stuff to work properly when i buy it. i'd burn the bridge with the shop and be a total jerk until the resolved the issue correctly. afterall you have paid for that guard to be fully functional and it isnt.[/QUOTE]

Thats how I feel about it. At the end of the day, its an expensive product and its not up to standard. My initial expectation was that it would be removed and properly re-fitted and I am disappointed this was not the outcome.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
it's like i am writing to myself....

i would approach the store and make that very clear. i would also tell them i would be dropping it off on a monday and expect it back by friday, or for a refund due to their merch being faulty. i once successfully returned a bike because the rear wheel hit the seat after i cut the post right down. i mean who designs a dh bike like that?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
i would approach the store and make that very clear. i would also tell them i would be dropping it off on a monday and expect it back by friday, or for a refund due to their merch being faulty.

Really? People are that spiteful that they'd take a full bike back to a shop just to have a plastic guard stuck back on? Really? Are people not mechanically minded enough to improvise and do something themselves that they know will work? There is no way I'd even consider taking the bike back in to get a way to make that guard stay on. It's pretty simple to make it stick, they won't do any super special super dooper trick to make it stay on.
How's this: I guarantee that if you clean the plastic guard and your frame and dry it off then stick it back on using Loctite super glue that it will never come off. You'd probably have a rock break the guard around the glue point before that shit came off.

gregp

Likes Dirt
if you have a good relationship with the shop that you wish to maintain, suck it up and stick it on good.
haha, if that's how a good relationship with an LBS works, I'm glad I don't have any and always burn my bridges at first available opportunity!

Assuming this has not been fixed, ie the guard is still not holding onto the frame (not clear from your post), of course I would keep going back till it's resolved. Why you are even considering "living with it" escapes me, ESPECIALLY after buying so many bikes from them. What a sad state of affairs for the local bike industry when even loyal customers are concerned about appearing too petty pointing out obvious defects on new products. They should have not let you leave the store till you were satisfied 110% with the fix (unreasonable expectation? - no, unrealistic? - unfortunately yes).

As to how they fix it, I would initially let them figure it out themselves, and assess it purely on end result: does it look as new, and is it holding in place.

Here's another option:

These guards are usually mounted with some sort of double sided tape to begin with. They just use industrial strength stuff. Even on many cars external trimmings are held in place with nothing more than strong double sided tape. I'm pretty certain if you sent the bike back the manufacturer would try the exact remedies they've already suggested to the LBS. So why not save yourself a lot of time and risks associated with random strangers shipping your bike around the country, and fix it yourself? I've got home made guards on my frames held in place with this, this thing is awesome:

http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/...y-duty-mounting-tape-25-4mm-x-1-51m-3m0417144

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Really? People are that spiteful that they'd take a full bike back to a shop just to have a plastic guard stuck back on? Really? Are people not mechanically minded enough to improvise and do something themselves that they know will work? There is no way I'd even consider taking the bike back in to get a way to make that guard stay on. It's pretty simple to make it stick, they won't do any super special super dooper trick to make it stay on.
How's this: I guarantee that if you clean the plastic guard and your frame and dry it off then stick it back on using Loctite super glue that it will never come off. You'd probably have a rock break the guard around the glue point before that shit came off.
yes i am. if i have paid for something i like to receive that. im not retarded, i wont do it at a time that inconveniences me.

teK--

Eats Squid
To be honest even for bikes under warranty I fix everything myself where possible unless it requires a purchase of costly parts/materials.

Taking the bike back to the shop is time lost travelling and without the bike, which could be spent better doing other things, like riding :)

You probably just need some contact adhesive to re-glue that guard on. Double sided tape only lasts so long in wet muddy environment.

wombat

Lives in a hole
The "solution" from the manufacturer is they advised the LBS to effectively put some double sided sticky under the frame guard which has not fixed the problem and told me if it doesn't work try some silicon.
You realise that a double sided adhesive tape would likely be exactly what is meant to be put on in the first place? What is your specific problem with the fix? Have they tried it with something and it still isn't holding, or do you not like the idea of a tape being used to hold it on?

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
Totally agree

To be honest even for bikes under warranty I fix everything myself where possible unless it requires a purchase of costly parts/materials.
Taking the bike back to the shop is time lost travelling and without the bike, which could be spent better doing other things, like riding :)
You probably just need some contact adhesive to re-glue that guard on. Double sided tape only lasts so long in wet muddy environment.
Once again, totally agree.
Bugger spending the time loading, unloading, traveling etc etc just to get something very minor fixed because I'm bloody minded
Now if it was something major like a significant suspension failure, that's different...

driftking

Wheel size expert
yes i am. if i have paid for something i like to receive that. im not retarded, i wont do it at a time that inconveniences me.
But we are talking about something adhesive here, will it functionally be any different if the user just glues it down..no its just saves a lot of BS. As Wombat said its probably an adhesive issues and just require more adhesive tape. It snot a big issue to going thought he BS of warranty and shop fixing.