Anthem X 2011 & X2012 fork compatable.

StanTheMan

Likes Dirt
OK . long storie cut short.

I cracked my 2011 Anthem X 3 . Its getting replaced with a Anthem X1 2012 Frameset.

Love the Colour Sheme

except the 2012 Anthem has the Overdrive 2 system. It was discussed here recently but it kind of went over my head. oops.

Will my 2011 fork that came with my 2011 AnthemX fit the new overdrive 2 system that comes with the new Anthem X 2012 ?

Anthem_Pete

Likes Bikes
Unfortunately NO :( But hey you could get some new kashima coated fox forks. (Or a new rockshox sid) ;)

Ripper of a frame by the looks of it.

Cheers

StanTheMan

Likes Dirt
for those who care
the new frame wighed 2.33 Kg. With press fit BB & headset bearings fitted. Rear shock was not fitted

scbullit

Likes Dirt
Unfortunately NO :( But hey you could get some new kashima coated fox forks. (Or a new rockshox sid) ;)

Ripper of a frame by the looks of it.

Cheers
Could you get a new headset with a 1.125" size or some sort of reducer? (I don't know if anything like that is available...)

cammas

Seamstress
you will have no problems with the new frame as it is the fork taper size that has changed not the frame, they run a different headset to accomodate the new size of the fork here is a blurb from Giant

Giant continues to innovate and its 2012 range of bikes will all share the brand new OverDrive 2 headset standard, which is claimed to be 30% stiffer.

Yes, not another standard we hear you cry. But we’re all for improvements to bicycle design and the head tube section of the modern mountain bike is an area that has transformed rapidly in recent years. It seems that bigger is better in this case.

OverDrive 2 is an update of last year’s OverDrive, and the main change is in the size of the bearings used; they’re larger diameter at the top, a 1 1/4in bearing in the top of the head tube, paired with a 1 1/2in lower bearing.

The new open standard requires compatible forks of course and here Marzocchi, Fox Racing Shox and RockShox have agreed to support the change. Giant is also offering a full range of new 1 ¼-inch stems to work with OverDrive 2 technology.

“We were able to really boost front-end stiffness without adding weight,” said Kevin Dana, Giant Global Category Manager – MTB. “The best part is it allowed us to noticeably improve handling in a variety of bikes made for different types of terrain. From the most weight-conscious XC racers to aggressive all-mountain, everyone benefits from a bike that corners better and tracks truer through rough terrain.”

OverDrive 2 will feature on select 2012 bikes in the new Giant range, here’s the full list

XtC Composite
Anthem X 29er
Anthem X Advanced SL
Anthem X Advanced
Anthem X
Trance X
Reign X
Reign

The new bikes will be available at Giant retailers later this summer. More at www.giant-bicycles.com

hope this clears it up for you so you can relax all parts will transfer over with no problems:clap2:, you could always upgrade to OD 2 later on by buying an OD2 fork

Last edited:

StanTheMan

Likes Dirt
Well Thats a relief. My mind was saying ther was a problem. I was also sure there was a problem. But obviously just false placebo.

StanTheMan

Likes Dirt
Camma is spot on. Nothing has changed physically on the frame.

The frame may come with a OD2 bearing which meant all that has to be done is change the bearing
/ headset required for your fork. Pice of piss.

My mind wasn't having a go. This morning I found one of the bolts on the lower pivot wasn't torques up.
Hopefully will get that sorted tonight.
Something did feel loose occasionally .

Also confirmed I have the anthem x1 2012 frame. But now with all the bits from the x3 2011

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akashra

Eats Squid
Just requesting full disclosure Cammas, because that post reads to me like some serious astroturf - do you work for or are you in any way affiliated with Giant or a related wholesaler, importer or contracted service/support company?

cammas

Seamstress
Just requesting full disclosure Cammas, because that post reads to me like some serious astroturf - do you work for or are you in any way affiliated with Giant or a related wholesaler, importer or contracted service/support company?
No I do not work for Giant, I actually make soft drinks and sports drinks for a living, the only reason I know as I did some research as I am looking to buy a 2012 Giant myself and was interested in the OD 2 and what it meant to me and others for parts combatability, I now know any stems I have at home will not fit. The comment about an OD2 fork was a joke, and the info was cut and pasted straight from a Bike Radar article that I had read when doing my research, I cut the whole thing so others that read this post knew what bikes were affected sorry if it seemed I was laying thick for Giant but thats why I stated it was blurb from Giant

I take it that's what you mean by "serious astroturf"?

colesy01

Likes Bikes
Is there something up with Giant frames of recent. My 09 X1 frame cracked recently at the seat tube/top tube junction which I thought was a one-off. Then a mates X29 cracked in the same place after only 2 months of riding now I read about other Giant frames cracking. Is this something new or am I just noticing it more because it had happened to me. Are Giant frames still tough and reliable?