Any Experience With Ti Softail?

Shorsau

Likes Dirt
Just wondering if anyone has had anything to do with pivot less (softail) suspension on a Ti bike? I'm looking at going that way with a Ti build in the future, but would like to incorporate a gearbox (either kindernay or Pinion) into the build. Really like the look of the Leon Semita or the Litespeed Unicoi. Bottom photo is of a Titan (Chinese) frame. Do you think a Pinion box would work ok with a similar setup?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
The Litespeed still has conventional pivots, wouldn’t call that one a soft tail IMO…

The thing that always puts me off the other BB-mounted designs, is that if that was a conventional pivot located in that spot the chain force would cause the bike to squat with every pedal stroke - not just no anti-squat, but actively squatting the bike. I’m doubtful that the spring force of the deflecting titanium would be enough to overcome this and suspect the bikes would almost certainly wallow while pedalling.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
From what I can gather, Ti has pretty good memory so is a better fit for this purpose than other alloys.
From my reading when buying my current Scalpel, the benefit was the flex stays for the rear (Same travel, less complexity/ bearings). As stated whether Ti performs the same, I'm sure no one on here knows for flex characteristics/ longevity.

Shorsau

Likes Dirt
The Litespeed still has conventional pivots, wouldn’t call that one a soft tail IMO…

The thing that always puts me off the other BB-mounted designs, is that if that was a conventional pivot located in that spot the chain force would cause the bike to squat with every pedal stroke - not just no anti-squat, but actively squatting the bike. I’m doubtful that the spring force of the deflecting titanium would be enough to overcome this and suspect the bikes would almost certainly wallow while pedalling.
Copy that @beeb..I might have to look at something similar to the Moots YBB, a thudbuster or go with a pivot maybe.

Shorsau

Likes Dirt
From my reading when buying my current Scalpel, the benefit was the flex stays for the rear (Same travel, less complexity/ bearings). As stated whether Ti performs the same, I'm sure no one on here knows for flex characteristics/ longevity.
The less maintenance factor is certainly an attraction.

Shorsau

Likes Dirt
It’s a Salsa Dos Niner - they had a stand at the Mont24 one year and I remember thinking it was kind of cool at the time. Not Ti but Scandium.

The passing of time has not been kind.
It's quite odd looking..and dated as you say:)

Shorsau

Likes Dirt
What the actual plan for the bike? And is it a replacement or an addition to the fleet?
It will be an addition to the fleet..I've moved the ebike on as have hardly used it since getting the pinion bike, so have room for another. Have been getting a few sore spots from doing a lot (for me) of kms on the hardtail. So will use it for much the same type of activities, but hoping for a bit more comfort.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I've got no idea on the springy stuff, but the Pinion mount would lengthen the chainstay.

Not sure if that'd be a deal breaker, but something to keep in mind.

Shorsau

Likes Dirt
I've got no idea on the springy stuff, but the Pinion mount would lengthen the chainstay.

Not sure if that'd be a deal breaker, but something to keep in mind.
That probably wouldn't bother me too much @wkkie..but if its bouncing about too much when pedaling I might have to rethink things:rolleyes:

beeb

How do you adjust softails for rider weight/style/conditions? no thanks.
The first and third options still have a conventional shock absorber, the "soft tail" part really just uses flex points to replace pivots.

The other options like the Moots YBB offered different elastomers from memory...?

beeb

@Shorsau - Technically speaking, if you wanted something with flex points like the first and third frames picture but on a frame with a Pinion gearbox mount, it might work out alright. Because the Pinion mount cradle is effectively the lowest point of the front triangle, if the flex point was mounted up off the back of the cradle the belt/chain forces would be much closer to neutral (assuming a chainring/cog roughly equivalent in radius to the height of the mount cradle attachement). Depending on the positioning of the flex point you might even be able to introduce some anti-squat - how little/how much would be a hard one to judge though given the spring force of the flex point is pretty much an unknown (unless you have access to the frame drawing, and CAD/FEA programs). And then you have to try and explain/translate to the builders and then convince them to do something other than their bog-stock designs (good luck!).

Now I want to build one, lol.