ANy gardeners aroound here?

Warwick

Likes Dirt
I pulled 4 or 5 roses out of the garden 6 months ago. Got the roots and all.
Only, not enough it seems. There are 4 or 5 bits of new rose growth just popping out of the soil..
Will spraying them kill them, or do I just have to dig deeper and deeper and pull anything that could possibly be rose roots out? That's a big job I'd rather avoid.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
roundup, or try boiling water, then layering heaps of newspaper and mulch over the top to suffocate them.

the root stocks of commercial roses are tough buggers.

i used to garden for a living :eek:

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Well I am a terrible gardener, but I have spent a lot of years killing plants for a living.

If you don't want to use herbicides then get digging.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tordon will smash anything. Apply it to the exposed ends of the plant with a brush.

nathanm

Eats Squid
any herbicide with Triclopyr as it's base "ingredient" will get the job done. Cut a stem above ground level and apply immediately. Word is you've got around 10 seconds of exposure before the weeping sap will seal it from absorbtion.

or wix it with Kerosene and spray away.

sam705

Likes Dirt
Any form of straight roundup and a splash of diesel painted on a frshly cut stem will finish them off guaranteed.

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
I do a good amount of gardening, but I like to do it the sustainable way, which generally means avoiding the use of herbicides. However, there are some plants that just piss me right off, and you just have to use some.

Even though they say glyphosate becomes neutral once it hits soil, I dont believe this, so I use high caution when using it.

The best method is that employed by gardening professionals, where using sprays is not suitable as an application. What you can do is put-on a rubber washing-up glove, make sure its a good quality thick type. Then put over the top of that a typical cheap gardening cotton glove. You can then just dip your thumb and forefinger into the glyphosate and kinda just move your fingers along the leaves. This method is very fast and effective with a high kill rate and low soil contamination.

LQQK

Likes Bikes
Even though they say glyphosate becomes neutral once it hits soil, I dont believe this, so I use high caution when using it.

I have to support this statement 100%.

I worked in horticulture for 20 years and Glyphosate is in such common use domestically and commercially in that users don’t treat it with respect. I’ve seen plants that have received non-lethal doses which re-grow with genetic mutations, generally with very short inter-nodal lengths and tiny leaves (almost Bonsai like in appearance).

Remember this stuff comes from Monsanto, the same company that gave us Agent Orange.

It is very effective at killing plants because of the way it works (systemically). If you do use it, make a fresh cut on the plant and paint it on the cut with a brush. If applying to leaves add a small amount of wetting agent (or detergent) as this will help break down the waxy coating found on some plants. By using a brush it avoids spray drift onto yourself or other plants. I’ve also used the ‘stem injection’ method on large tress, and have killed very large camphor laurels with about 100ml of Glyphosate. It is pretty scary how little you need and how fast it works.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Plant removal 101:

Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that.
[kneels]
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I'm spending a lot of time landscpaing my garden as we have built a new house. I love it, I love watching things grow from things we have planted as small plants.
One issue I have is clover in my lawn. I've been told that Bindi (pronounced bind-eye) is the stuff to use as it kills the prick of a thing and other weeda round it. I have got some good runners of grass going already and I don't want to kill them so I'm concerned with spraing anything. I intended to try some spray, top dress a section once the dead patch shows up and see how it goes.
Any ideas or suggestions?

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
I'm spending a lot of time landscpaing my garden as we have built a new house. I love it, I love watching things grow from things we have planted as small plants.
One issue I have is clover in my lawn. I've been told that Bindi (pronounced bind-eye) is the stuff to use as it kills the prick of a thing and other weeda round it. I have got some good runners of grass going already and I don't want to kill them so I'm concerned with spraing anything. I intended to try some spray, top dress a section once the dead patch shows up and see how it goes.

Dude - I have exactly the same problem at my place. You could spray, but if you have animals and children, im not sure you want to do this.

I have two types of bindi - the small leafed version and the large leafed, both can be removed using the same technique.

Bindi's reproduce by sending-out new shoots, which is their main weakness, and you can use it against them!

Just lift-up the various branches from around the grass without breaking so you have a nice tuft. This tuft can be used to just pull-up and remove the plant, roots and all. You can do about 6 per minute. Consistency is the key here - such as 20 minutes per week, this way you are constantly removing new plants - soon there is nothing left, but a huge pile of bindi - this may need to be burned to destroy the seeds..

nathanm

Eats Squid
Dozer, go to your locak "roberts" or equivalent landscape style store and grab a bottle of "Kamba". I used by commercial grain/crop growers and landscapers alike. Love the stuff for killing all the weeds and moss in lawns.

What type of lawn have you got? most warm climate runner type grasses should fill the gaps in patchy lawn once you've removed the intruders. otherwise top dress and oversow as you were thinking.

Or call Jim's Mowing on 131 546 awesome bunch of blokes who really know their stuff (and we charge like wounded bulls)

sam705

Likes Dirt
If you intend on spraying and resowing i recommend scarifying the area of dead grass to free up the thatch and soil so seed can produce a better strike. Although the real key to it all is water. Excess water/lack of water will be big killers of your newely sown patch. Rule of thumb is small amounts of water often and keep the area most at ALL times. Sad thing is you probably know all this already!