Any Horticulturists around?

dilemma

girl+bike
There's some interesting fruit varieties around, like apples crossed with pears, square watermelons and stuff. How do they cross fruit species? Is it full on genetic modification? Why the hell am I asking this? :eek:

...I dreamt up a new variety of fruit last night, a new variety of grapes which were citrus flavoured. I was eating them and I can actually remember the flavour and texture, they were delicious! What could be more refreshing than a bite sized grape with a fresh citrus burst? :p The perfect summer fruit. They were light orangey green in colour and the shape of those long green grapes (not round ones).

Mmmmm they were delicious. Someone, figure out how to make them, please!

You have no idea how weird or vivid my dreams are... it's a whole other world in there

toodles

Wheel size expert
Stop eating pizza before you go to bed please.

Actually my ex is a geneticist - I'll get her right on to it.

dilemma

girl+bike
toodles said:
Stop eating pizza before you go to bed please.

Actually my ex is a geneticist - I'll get her right on to it.
I didn't eat pizza, I swear!

Thanks Toodles, I'm really curious now as to whether it could be possible :D

MUNGUS

Pro Rider
there r 4 main ways to form new variesties or species of fruit and other plants.

Hybrids= 2 plants of same species cross and form off spring with superior characteristics.

Wide Crosses= 2 species are crossed and form an entirely different species of plant. this is very rare

Tissue Culture= Cuttings from an original plant are grown in agar and treated with hormones. forms clones of the parent plant

Genetic Engineering= Transfering genetic material from one organism to another, basically cutting and pasting genes

so basically if u really cared the way they form new fruit species would be by using one of those methods. why the hell am i replying to this

jeb123

Likes Bikes
MUNGUS is correct in everythin he said.................and so is NHD about the squre melons..........im a qualified horticulturist and anything is possible nowdays with the aid of science, so your citris grape maybe a reallity in a few years to come.............tell CSIRO about the citris grape and ask to be the one who owns the rights to it and make millions

dilemma

girl+bike
jeb123 said:
MUNGUS is correct in everythin he said.................and so is NHD about the squre melons..........im a qualified horticulturist and anything is possible nowdays with the aid of science, so your citris grape maybe a reallity in a few years to come.............tell CSIRO about the citris grape and ask to be the one who owns the rights to it and make millions

Thanks Jeb... I'll be sure to chuck a few $ your way when I'm wiping my ass with fiddies (while eating citrus grapes, of course!) :p

dilemma

girl+bike
LTR said:
Would it destroy you if i told you they'd already been done?
No, but you could tell me where to find them! Then I could see if they taste as good in real life as they did in my dream! :rolleyes:

dilemma

girl+bike
I just spied some 'kiwi berries' at Woolies, which are grape-sized but kiwi flavoured & textured. Looks like citrus grapes could be coming soon.