any over 30's riders out there.

BS

Likes Bikes
Hi all, I went riding at Lizard Rock on Saturday arvo with a mate of mine. It was the first time he'd been there as we usually ride Red Hill. I have ridden there a couple of times. Half way down our first run, my mate hit a rock, flew over the handlebars, landed on his shoulder and broke it. This is about his 5th ride back from breaking his ankle doing a drop a Red Hill and that ride was his 3rd ride back from breaking his same shoulder in the same places on a jump at Red Hill. I too have broken my wrist and elbow while DJing, although have fully recovered and not hurt myself since. I'm 33 years old and my mate is 36 years old. So my long winded question is - are there many other over 30 year old riders doing downhill, freeriding and DJing out there, or are we too old and should we just get off the hill and stop embarassing ourselves?

Merlin

Likes Bikes
Hey, I am 48 and ride most week ends

I have come to the conclusion, however, that I am too old/too afraid/not good enough to do very aggressive sort of riding

I ride within my abilities and do not try and compete with the young guns

So Lizard Rock is out for me but I do ride at Red Hill.

If in doubt I am not too proud to get of the bike and walk it down.

I struggle to find riders of the same standard and same fitness levels. They are all young and aggressive or very social riders. I am a little in between.

If anybody wanted to arrange some social rides for people like me who love the sport but is happy to ride within their means, then count me in!!!

struggles

Likes Dirt
I am 32 and ride downhill and cross country. I don't go real crazy downhill in fact I am pretty slow. I speared into a tree last year and knocked myself out but didn't break anything. It took me while to recover from that.

I still ride a motorbike like an idiot though so I haven't grown up too much.

mattyd

Likes Dirt
Most of our crew are over 30, I'm one of the younger riders at 27. All the over 30's guys go hard and hit up everything.
A few of us even hit the big drop at Lizard on a good day.
It's a sport where injurys are inescapable. Just ride within your limits and if it feels sketchy don't do it. We ride every Sunday so we are usually in pretty good form and we all "armour up" religiously.

928stu

Likes Dirt
Well I'm 43 and freeride and race DH as often as posible, ride my STP everyday, but I know where you're coming from BS.
And breaking & bruising appendeges does make me that little bit shy at times......

At our DH races(CORC) we get 10~20 'over 30s & 40s' racing so no it's not just for young dudes.

scblack

Leucocholic
Well I'm 35 and race downhill, and hit (most) gaps, drops and so on. It's not the age you are that matters at all. BUT you've got to realise that we are not young tackers anymore, and will get injured more. Therefore I wear full body armour, FF helmet etc whenever I am DH riding. Also your fitness and skill levels will of course affect how/when you get injured.

I cannot comment on your mates riding that caused his injuries, but the fact he has injured himself right after re-commencing riding maybe he has to ease into it a little more than he has been. But, it could of course be simple bad luck.

Just because we are over 30 is no reason not to keep riding hard. Just stay within your limits. But having said that, I knocked myself out at Lithgow the week before the National, so I am pushing myself, but trying to do it carefully.

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mate, go have a look at the Buller results and compare Vets to Expert.
There plenty of old dudes out there going very quick. I just don't happen to be one of them :p
As for looking silly, that's the coolest thing about getting old. You learn to not care when you look like a dick. Get out there and go hard champ, old fart pride!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Wow, look at all the old boys coming out of the woodwork!

Proabably also the demographic that has Farkin up the most when we should be working too :p

jwd

Likes Bikes
Over 30s riders

I'm 32 and still ride DH. Had a bad couple of months lately though.

After surviving a month in Whistler and BC doing a whole lot a much bigger and faster than normal riding, I broke my collarbone 2 days after I got back home while up at Terry Hills BMX track. 2 rides after this had healed I broke my wrist fending off a tree at Ourimbah.

Some other people have mentioned it so far but take the time to get back into things slowly when you have had time off the bike. No one forgets how to ride a bike but it takes a while to remember how to do it properly. My first run down Ourimbah after a long hiatus and my brain seemed 5 seconds behind what I was actually doing at speed. Half the reason I broke my wrist was that I did not properly reintroduce myself back into riding. In my zeal to get back on the bike I spent another 8 weeks off it.

I should mention that both the locations where I broke bones where jumps that I had done plenty of times before so don't get careless.

I don't think that 30 something riders are that much more likely to injure themselves (generally) as we tend to have a little bit more caution than the young guys, but there is always the potential for a moment of carelessness to result in several months of couch sitting so take it easy and push yourself within sensible limits.

dj jedijunglesnow

Likes Dirt
Im 33 and broke my clavical ligament in right shoulder at Oxford Falls last Saturday. Not even at Lizard Rock but on the other side on the single track (Little Moab I think?).
Just unlucky - went over on a sandstone ledge.
I don't think it was age related, I did all my major injuries betwen the ages of 22-25 all surfing and snowboarding. Although I have since read that this injury is most prevalent in males in their 30's, so go figure...

ona rampage

Likes Dirt
I'm 34, and ever year getting a little more into it, and trying a lot more things. Mind you, still miles behind a lot of the 14 yo on this site... :D
Mainly ride urban, as the bush is a long way from me.
My wife says I should be more careful, but that was after a bad year last year (broken wrist (fractured radius) and rolled ankle), but I think you have bad and good times, and as long as you ride within your means and in control it isn't too bad.
I think I have days however on the bike when I am dialed (or in the zone) and can do things so much easier and better, and other days I can't do shit. On the good days you should go harder I suppose; good for building confidence.
Maybe we need an over 30s group? Kind of like the Ulysses group? :D

dhd

Downhill Direct
I'm 41 this year and just got back from Buller where we raced probably the most challenging track I've ever raced on......Spent half the weekend moaning about the various aches and pains from dragging my old ass up and down the hill (sorry Cam-O and slave who had to listen to it)
bottom line is:
Cracked Saint brake lever.
Cracked 5 minutes race time
Cracked a big smile I can't get rid of!

You aint dead at 30.........just takes a little longer to bounce back!

4heckssake

Likes Dirt
count me in too.
38 and still learning to do more on a bike (while staying within or near my limits).
a broken shoulder in my early 30's, dodgy vertabrae/discs and numerous creeking body parts slow me down a bit.... but the adrenaline keeps things pumpin'. recovery time is definitley longer these days tho.

apsilon

Likes Dirt
Rapidly approaching 33 here.

Ride XC and take my sweet time. Never broken a bone riding but have caused lots of damage to stuff attached to them. Only started riding again last August after a ~10 year break forced on me through bicycle related injury.

grumpy rooster

Likes Dirt
I'm 33 and have only been into mtb for the last 3 months. Prior to that I hadn't ridden a bike for 15+ years. So as you can imagine I'm way out of shape and my stamina is less than good. Accordingly I have set myself some fairly low limits on what I try but the more I ride the better I get.

Haven't had any major stacks yet because I haven't been going fast enough. Have had a few cuts and grazes though.

Cuthbert

Likes Dirt
I'm 33 & feel the need to push the limits. I love DH first & foremost, but I do a lot more general trail riding mainly cause I tend to ride solo (riding mates have gone soft...). I not a hucker, due to a slight fear of heights but I do love to go fast on technical tracks. Would probably go bigger if there was a bit more travel at my disposal.

Like others on here I've had a few minor injuries in the last year or so but I don't consider these age related - same thing would have happened 10 years ago - just the nature of the fall.

Have noticed a slight decline in flexability in the last couple of years, but this has been easily managed my light weight work and stretching routines. If you keep your body in good shape I don't see why you can't keep at the top of your game til 40ish. One thing for sure though, its a fact that the older you get injuries take a little longer to heal.....

Out on the trails you see plenty of over thirties with big travel bikes so it appears the old crew are still going strong

Gripo

Eats Squid
Admitting

Aaaaahmmm....well...yeah...I'm, I'm....ah.....just had my 37th birthday.
Fhew, glad to get that out......................

Got back into riding about 18 months ago and I'm really enjoying the experience and excercise. Mtbikes have improved so much since I last looked at them in the mid 90's. Bikes (DH/freeride type) have made riding that I like to do so much more fun and possible. I have promised myself that I will enter a round of the Qld DH series this year just for the experience.

I'd like to think that age hasn't effected my skills and for the most part I believe this to be true. I can still do all the things that I did while I was bmxing, it's just that now my fitness level is higher. While I find most people are supportive, I've had a few sarcastic comments about......how old are you......I find it funny that if I was on a moto people would not be as judgmental about the age thing.

Anyway, life is always throwing bigger problems, other peoples opinions are the least of anyone's worries.

As far as injuries go I had a semi-serious accident street riding my chase, where I broke 3 vertabrae (just fractured the ends) in december. They healed just as fast as when I broke a wrist at 15. I tell myself that it was my lack of skill in this discapline rather than age causing the accident?

Looking at most of my mates in their late 20's thru 30's they are rather unfit individuals, who could do with a bike ride once a week to help them with their expanding middles. This alone is motivation for me to go-ride and rip as much as I can despite my age.

I say do whatever you want to do within the bounds of your skill.

timmo

Likes Dirt
Yep, I'm in that club too - just coming up to my 33rd birthday.

The whole crew I ride regularly with (about 6 of us) are over 30 and into the freeride/DH side of things, although less frequently tha we used to.

I'm (possibly foolishly) planning to get into the DH racing this year after doing 1 race last year. I haven't had any "serious" injuries yet (touch wood) but seem to have bruises and/or grazes most weekends :eek:

BS

Likes Bikes
wow, what a fantastic response so far! i feel like going for a ride right now, but of course i'm stuck in the office. i think my mate will probably give the sport away now that he's broken his 3rd bone in about 4 riding weeks (recovery time not included). we have nicknamed him "chalkie" now, due to the direct comparison between his bone streangth and chalk.

i feel great though and love riding. to give up would hurt, but like some of the others who have replied, my mates are too soft to go at a reasonable pace. i love the speed of downhilling and the air time of jumps and drops (although the bigest drop i've done is only about 7 feet) of freeriding.

my fience (who used to ride with me till she was thrown off her bike at thredbo, did a full summersault and landed on her feet - sort of) and i have booked a trip to Whistler in June for 9 days, so i won't be quitting before then. i've been thinking about joining a club. does anyone know of any good mtb clubs locally and what they offer?