Any riders in/coming to TAS own an XL Santa Cruz Hightower?

beezlbub

Likes Dirt
So I'm on the hunt for a new ride and Santa Cruz Hightower is currently at the top of the list. LBS has a Large in stock, which from a roll around the block (not a demo bike so can't get out on the dirt for a proper ride) feels pretty good. But at a fraction under 6'2 I'm just into XL territory as per Santa Cruz's sizing chart, so I'm really keen to at least throw a leg over an XL just in case it feels even better. Given the $$ involved I really want to get this right!

I know this is a long shot, but if you're a Tassie rider on an XL Hightower there's a carton of beer in it for you if we can meet up so I can try it for size. Or perhaps you're planning on being in TAS for the Derby EWS round next week :first: and thought about spending a few days in Hobart before/after - happy to do the same beer deal plus a local to show you some of the best riding spots...

Thanks in advance Burners.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
So I'm on the hunt for a new ride and Santa Cruz Hightower is currently at the top of the list. LBS has a Large in stock, which from a roll around the block (not a demo bike so can't get out on the dirt for a proper ride) feels pretty good. But at a fraction under 6'2 I'm just into XL territory as per Santa Cruz's sizing chart, so I'm really keen to at least throw a leg over an XL just in case it feels even better. Given the $$ involved I really want to get this right!

I know this is a long shot, but if you're a Tassie rider on an XL Hightower there's a carton of beer in it for you if we can meet up so I can try it for size. Or perhaps you're planning on being in TAS for the Derby EWS round next week :first: and thought about spending a few days in Hobart before/after - happy to do the same beer deal plus a local to show you some of the best riding spots...

I don't have one, but I'm the same height as you and have ridden a mate's (not in Tas), and I reckon you'll want to go the XL. Santa Cruz frames tend to run on the small size.

ClintC

Likes Dirt
I'm the same height as you and don't have a crazy inseam. I use to ride a large giant anthem and have gone to a XL Tallboy 3. It's a perfect size for me. Go the XL!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

A time was the old Santa Cruz dealer would have posted you or the shop a demo bike within seconds...one of his better business attributes.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
A time was the old Santa Cruz dealer would have posted you or the shop a demo bike within seconds...one of his better business attributes.
But you would have then paid for your bike and waited 6 months without communication before it turned up.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Beez, I'm 6'2" standing up as well, and test rode a HT L size frame (29" wheels) a couple of weeks back. It had a 60mm stem and I needed a lot of dropper post out of the frame and had the saddle pushed back a bit to suit me. The reach on the XL is 25mm longer than the L, so I reckon a 40-50mm stem and moving the seat forward a touch would be spot on with the XL frame. The dude in the bike shop said I'd definitely be looking at an XL if I pulled the trigger on one and I'm still seriously considering it - definitely a fun bike to ride. Feels like a monster truck with the wagon wheels.

If you do manage to jump on an XL, let us know how it felt compared to the L (which I presume you rode too?).

slowmick

38-39"
Beez, please try to get a ride on one. I am 6' 2" and have always ridden large bikes but by Avanti's charts i was an XL. i got an XL 29er and it just seems too large. It is only a small difference in dimensions but it just doesn't suit my body proportions.

Was there something you didn't like about the large? larger frame on 29ers can start to get quite tall.

NoFilter

Likes Dirt

Beez why don't you hit up the distributor? I know that there is a Lusty staff member going down to the EWS that rides an XL Hightower. He's a rad dude, maybe ask Tom or Olly at Cyclingo to reach out to him? Or Troy at Sprung if you're in Launceston.. I'm sure he'd be ok to let you sit on it or maybe even take it for a small car park lap?

FWIW you definitely need an XL Hightower at 6'2". It was going to be my next bike, I'm 5'10" and would have gone large.

beezlbub

Likes Dirt
Thanks all

Beez why don't you hit up the distributor? I know that there is a Lusty staff member going down to the EWS that rides an XL Hightower. He's a rad dude, maybe ask Tom or Olly at Cyclingo to reach out to him? Or Troy at Sprung if you're in Launceston.. I'm sure he'd be ok to let you sit on it or maybe even take it for a small car park lap?

FWIW you definitely need an XL Hightower at 6'2". It was going to be my next bike, I'm 5'10" and would have gone large.
Your message reminded me about Lusty as I'd asked the Cyclingo guys to check out that very option. Got a call back yesterday to say that one of the Lusty guys coming down for EWS rides an XL Hightower so all tee'd up to have a sit on it next week!

Thanks all for replies/suggestions/opinions, will report back on how I find the bigger size next week.

mellow

Banned
Andrew at Neezy.

Any rider who bags neezy hasn't been around long enough. Me , Cairns first world cup. As a runner.
Andrew was as good as his word. We miss his honesty.
Also Citrus, way back Orange chaps stood behind their product with their balls.
As I said, you want to bag a good man. get fucked wanker.

mellow

Banned
I meant Citrus were great to deal with , by the way.

I meant citrus were great to deal with , by the way.

mellow

Banned
oops my bad.

Sorry old mate, I got excited.
What I really meant to say was, in 15 years of Santa Cluz, I found him an absolute pleasure to deal with. Phone anytime,
Admittedly, whether he answered or not depended.
Mostly came down to the dealer/ mechanic.
Santa Cruz is now a very different company ownership / manufacturing / bla bla.

And we all have our own experiences. I just see so much third hand, chinese whispers, along with big marketing nowdays.
I had many loaner and shop bikes given unconditionally by my dealer. Exceptional service. I do not buy online anything if I can help it.

I was there for the first ever " mountainbike race " in Cairns. Maybe 26 or 7 years ago. Big Marlin shopping centre. Pallets, jump the fence, through the culvert, carpark, concrete drops.
Full Steel everything, no " suspension ", pre canti brakes. Couple guys on roadies.
Derek Fleming won it. Got a tube maybe as prize. Laughed for days, years really.

We sometimes forget that having fun, community, and health are why we do it.
Happy trails and I will stop being a knob.

rone

Eats Squid
Sorry old mate, I got excited.
What I really meant to say was, in 15 years of Santa Cluz, I found him an absolute pleasure to deal with. Phone anytime,
Admittedly, whether he answered or not depended.
Mostly came down to the dealer/ mechanic.
Santa Cruz is now a very different company ownership / manufacturing / bla bla.

And we all have our own experiences. I just see so much third hand, chinese whispers, along with big marketing nowdays.
I had many loaner and shop bikes given unconditionally by my dealer. Exceptional service. I do not buy online anything if I can help it.

I was there for the first ever " mountainbike race " in Cairns. Maybe 26 or 7 years ago. Big Marlin shopping centre. Pallets, jump the fence, through the culvert, carpark, concrete drops.
Full Steel everything, no " suspension ", pre canti brakes. Couple guys on roadies.
Derek Fleming won it. Got a tube maybe as prize. Laughed for days, years really.

We sometimes forget that having fun, community, and health are why we do it.
Happy trails and I will stop being a knob.
Best post I've read on here for a while.

beezlbub

Likes Dirt
XL it is

Just to follow up for those that posted, ended up going with XL frame and definitely think I made the right choice. Bloody hell it's a fun bike!!