Anybody Body Ridden A Ski-Bike?

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I did heaps of research into them last year, as I was contemplating importing them.
There's pretty much two or three different types. Scooter style for more park style use, or more bike style ones for carving. I got some footage of some a few months ago in USof A, I'll try find it for you. They were converted mountainbikes. Guys were mainly sitting carving, went faster than most groomed run skier/borders were.

Staunch

Eats Squid
That seems like an awesome idea.
Myself and a mate have been considering making a custom one but now there's a kit you can buy, we might go with that simply for time-saving and so it's more hassle free.

John U

MTB Precision
I would check with the resort you intend on going to whether you will be allowed to use them. If you aren't allowed you won't be able to get on the lifts to get back to the top of the run.

Back in the day (1980's) snow boards were banned at a lot of mountains. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the resorts would be a bit cautious about about allowing snowbikes on the hill.

All that being said I used them on the hill in Aviemore in Scotland. Great fun, especially when hitting snow drifts, just an explosion of snow. Pretty sketchy though. Not sure how they would go on the steeper runs. These were custom jobs made out of spares from the ski hire shop.

John U

MTB Precision
Steep, In Australia, where?!?
To quote myself it was "on the steeper runs", not "on the steep runs".

To clarify, I think you'd be fairly shagged trying to ride down a black run covered with moguls, even an Australian black run. You could probably get down but I don't think it'd be too much fun.

I don't think you'd have too much trouble riding down anything green or blue that had been groomed.

jonny the boy

Likes Dirt
there is a pro bmx'r in slc utah, matt beringer. he made a custom bmx with skis on it, freakin hilarious. there would be footy on youtube for sure

waan5

Squid
Ask first..

Hey,

I agree with the above.... You would have to check with the mountain or be prepared to do some night hiking from your accommodation!! Australia isn't as open to new ideas as what you see in the US, people also have snow in their local parks to go rip over there. One of the new MTB videos has a snow session in it, a couple of the pros with their normal DH rigs in a groomed resort.(seasons..?) It did look closed though...! I'm guessing it would be fun to do once but it would be like getting an F1 race car and driving it on the dirt!! If you ski.... you should also know to try not to 'lean' in turns.... this thing would be all lean!!!! =( Also, if you're a bit crafty.... a couple of blocks of wood/pvc/aluminum/etc, a few saddle clamps and a couple of old axles could achieve the same result for a trial run..... we used to trial new things on STAFF day where I used to work.

good luck...

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Thredbo have about ten now. They bust em out for night skiing I think. Look pretty cool.
I saw dudes riding different types quite well and fast in California earlier in the year.
With such variety in design, it'd really depend on the style of bike as to what you could do on it. The ones I saw were modified duallies. I doubt you'd do as well on the scooter types on a big hill, but in the parks they'd rock.

driftking

Wheel size expert
I wonder when we will see a custom 8inch fox 40 build.
Iv only seen the short travel stuff, I'm sure someone will want to go bigger and get creative.