Anyone been to Mt Whistler?

HimynameisMike

Likes Dirt
Like the title, has anyone been to Mount Whistler in Canada? I've read a fair bit about it, all the time they reference to a lot of Aussie's being up there, however when I ask around, no one I know has been.
Just want to know if theres anyone out there who has actually been? Whats it like? Is it worth going? Just how expensive is it?
Cheers - Mike :D

scotty beefs

Likes Dirt
Been there, going again.
There is a heaven on earth.
ditto - 2005 crankworx and will be there for 2007 crankworx...

its a resort - its expenisve. between 5 of us we have it calculated to about $5-6k to get over there and for 18nights at whistler - accomodation, food, drinking, riding.

MrPlow

TMBC
ditto - 2005 crankworx and will be there for 2007 crankworx...

its a resort - its expenisve. between 5 of us we have it calculated to about $5-6k to get over there and for 18nights at whistler - accomodation, food, drinking, riding.
Really?
I stayed at a nice wood cabin about 5 min drive from the lift for $150.00 a night, you could sleep 3 couples there quite easily. Plus food, cost of living is about the same. And the lift passes were pretty cheap sorta (compared to Les Gets and especially Thredbo).

binner

Hath shat hymself
I'M convinced

Really?
I stayed at a nice wood cabin about 5 min drive from the lift for $150.00 a night, you could sleep 3 couples there quite easily. Plus food, cost of living is about the same. And the lift passes were pretty cheap sorta (compared to Les Gets and especially Thredbo).
see you there in June /July plow....
I think you will find a few YUPS there around that time....

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1!
were going back again after crankworx, bout mid august.
app the trails get pretty smashed around crankworx, and they dont do much maintanance cause they are too busy diggin for the worxs.
we also got a bit of rain, which packed down the trails.
Is Garbanzo open in june/july?

karl

Likes Dirt
just go

just go, it is the best and most riding you will do, lifts passes are about $45aust a day (this year) do your research on where to stay and you will save bucks, buying food from the grocery store is reasonable and but even if it costs you heaps it is worth it, get a bit fit before you go to enjoy all the riding you can do.

scotty beefs

Likes Dirt
Really?
transfers to brisbane from rocky -$200,

return flights to Vancouver just before crankworx is the high season so flights (inc taxes) is around the $3100 mark - not high season (starting 18th July) - take off about $500-700.

Bus transfers from airport to whistler with bike about $150.

18 nights accomodation between 5 people is about $35AUS each a night ($630). Also Plow - there's no way i'm staying 5mins drive from the lifts (eg creekside)...don't want the expense of a hire car, hassle of waiting for public transport or finiding a park. We managed to find a nice fully self contained condo 5minutes ride from the lifts for $150CAN a night. For those looking you can't (or won't be able to afford) a fully self contained condo in Whistler Village - Look in Blackcomb and you can find some nice, decently priced stuff in Summer...its only a short ride to the lifts and pubs.

We budgeted the same amount each for food ($630 - some restaurants, mostly supermarket with no skimping)

Lift pass is $399CAN for a season pass or $99 for a 3 dayer, over 18nights i expect i'll ride more than 12 of those days- season pass $470AUS.

Thats $4380AUS already with no grog (expensive, when I was there a jug of Kokanee at Merlins (on Blackcomb) was $15 canadian...)

That also doesn't include a couple of nights in Vancouver at the end, spending money for duty free or luxuries (maybe a helibiking trip), any mechanicals, its advisable to buy a bike bag for the plane before you go etc etc. When I was travelling i'd do a budget like this one and then add 25%...there's no point hanging out to do this trip for a couple of years and then getting over there, drinking goon and living on rice and tuna.

Last edited:

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
man i think you got done on the airfare. i payed 1700 from sydney including taxes. admitedly we flew united, and that was a forgettable experience.
stayed in staff housing (in the ghetto!) for 260CAN for 21nights. this was a 1 min ride to chairlifts.... 20 mins back tho.... farkin massive hill back up :rolleyes:
payed 380CAN for a season pass. the rest was on food and beer- and replacing bloody tubes/derailers/chainguides- about 1500CAN not sure where that all went....
all up i think i spent about 4300 including food and grog.
thats prob the cheaper end of the spectrum. i think i could have been a bit more sensible on the spending money, but as ^^^ you say, its a holiday not backpacking.;)

scotty beefs

Likes Dirt
we haven't been "done" at all - haven't booked it yet. When did you fly over MR? (what month). We've looked and looked on the net but after taxes you're looking at over 3K for the dates we want to go - and thats on Air NZ or JAL. After the 18th July it decreases - the very very cheapest being high $1600s before taxes.

Haha, I stayed at the staff housing last time as well - nice bit of downhill that takes you straight to the lifts on the way down...its a long, slow, black bear dodging walk home at 2am when you're up to the eyeballs after a night on the tiles though. Not to mention the lost circulation to fingers if you forget your backpack and decide to carry your grocerys back up the hill ;) Problem with relying on staff accomodation for a holiday is that they open it up for non-staffies only when there's rooms available - very rarely is there a whole 4 bedroom unit free...i went with one other mate last time and even then we couldn't get in the same unit. Not to mention there's five of us anyway :)

Last edited:

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
nah, didnt mean to offend at all.
i booked through STA tavel, and my flight was 1440 + taxes. worked out to be about 1700 + 300 tavel and bike insurance.
i wouldnt rush back to staff at all! it was such a mission. we were on the friggen top floor too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
as i said in my post, we went in august- so maybe the airfares were cheaper then.
im starting to look at planning the 07 trip. going to try aim for somthing in the village this time. cant bear(ahhahahah excuse the pun) that dam hill again.

Dirt Devil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I went in '05 for 3 weeks and it cost me about $4.5-5k from memory, and that wasn't slumming it either. It's an unbelieveably good time, worth every penny, although myself and my bike were completely spent by the end of the trip. I'm aiming for another Whistler holiday in '07.

If you ride DH/FR then you have to go to Whistler... that's all there is to it.

soapy

Likes Dirt
if your doing whistler...id do the nth shore(of vancouver) as well.... its free to start with... and its a different riding style needed...cypress and seymore are both shuttleble(seymore has a huck bus through cove bike shop that does shuttles for about 10 bucks a shuttle....takes 30+ min to get up and down)....fromme is a bitch of a walk but worth every sweat drop as well...
whistler is mostly manicured tracks....which aint a bad thing...but the shore is real deal....my riding improved 100% each time i went to whistler...it improved 200% every time i hit the shore......

ruthlessgirl

token forum girl
You'll have to either rent a car or grab the greyhound from Vancouver to Whistler. Factor that in as well.

Once you're there if you'll be there for more than 2 or 3 weeks, it's sometimes cheaper to buy a season's pass.

Best time to go is Sept. All the kids are back at school, it's still nice weather but a bit cooler. You run a chance at a bit more rain but not a huge risk.

meatlovers

Likes Bikes and Dirt
mnt whistler is sweet (looking at the tv show "drop in")
they did an ep or 2 on it recently
looks awesome

strauss

Likes Dirt
Does whistler cater for all skill levels or do you have to be a reasonbly good skilled rider already before you head over..?

jaboff

Likes Bikes
I've been to Whistler twice now and loved both times.
It's an awesome place with trails for every skill level.My GF even rode there and loved it, and she is a beginner.
I am going again next year.It helps to have a GF who is a travel agent.Send me a pm and I'll pass on her details and she can hook you up if you want to go.