Anyone dealt with super-go in the states? Importing from USA

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am looking at getting a set of Shimano XT cranks as I know they fit and I can get them for about the same price of a set of v-drives when you calculate the cost of a splined bb instead of an octalink bb.

Has anyone dealt with them or know of anyone who has? Also, do you know if the displayed shipping cost when you click on the australia section, is in AU or US dollars?

How does the import tax work? Does customs etc send you a bill? Or do you pay supergo for it?

I would normally just got to my lbs but I can't afford to in this circumstance.

chuckrockswell

iRide Bikes
i can't say i'm an expert in the area, but i've done it a few times now (how can you go past XT r.derailuers for $38us??)

haven't had any problems, i just use supergo, all the costs are there in front of you (currency conversion and all that) shipping is in US and generally takes around a week and a half to get to you.

with shipping, its best to get a few things at a time as its generally a flat rate relative to the size of the package, so chuck some hayes pads or something in there too. shipping can be a killer if you get individual items seperately.

import tax?? i'm pretty sure that only applies to goods over like a grand or something?? i'm not too sure about that, but i've never been charged import tax and my purchases are generally around $200aus.

hope that helps :wink:

msbhvn

Likes Bikes
DONT USE THEM,

I have tried them to debit my credit card for the last 2 weeks, with them telling me the postal address on my card is not the same as the address I want to send the product to (yet they still debited my card)

It has got to the stage where I have to send them a photocopy of my drivers liscnece and credit card, to which say I am who I am.

They make it almost imposible for you to buy by card and want you to do a wire transfer which cost's you $15.

Oh and I work for a subsidury of ANZ bank and know that the address' are correct.

Just my rant

cE

Likes Dirt
A good rule of thumb when buying from overseas online stores is that you won't get charged import tax unless your purchase totals more than about AUS$300.

By loosely sticking to this limit, I've managed to avoid getting stung by customs, buying from Supergo, Amazon, PinkBike and Pricepoint. I've even managed to get a pair of forks (valued at about AUS$350) over without having to pay tax on them.

From what i've heard/read, if you do happen to get slugged import tax, customs hold your package (not sure if where) and you'll have to go and pay customs, not Supergo (or wherever you bought the items from).

I always pay by credit card, lately I have been asked to email the shop a scan of the card, both front and back. This delays the transaction by a day or two. Besides that, I haven't had any credit card issues.

Also, remember that if you have warranty issues, you'll probably have to ship the item back to the US, at your expense!

chuckrockswell

iRide Bikes
i just use VISA and i've honestly never had any problems.

but yeah, be careful in what you're buying, i generally buy things that won't attract warranty issues, like chains, deraileurs, brake pads...

i'd never buy a complete bike or anything like that, if it fails you're kinda screwed

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i spent $600aus on stuff from Unreal cycles and i didn't have any troubles with import tax crap...

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What store is it that has made you scan the card Ce and msbhvn, what store in particular are you having trouble with?

cE

Likes Dirt
What store is it that has made you scan the card Ce
I had to send a scan of my credit card for Amazon.com when I recently bought Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance (It's now become my bible, if you're crap at maintenance like me, get a copy!).

Also had to do it for Pricepoint, but that was because the billing address of my credit card was different to the address the package was getting sent to. I got it sent to a relative in the States, who then sent it to me for a cheaper shipping price than what Pricepoint quoted.

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How does the conversion work with credit cards? Or is it all done internally?

Basically I have got it down to either getting it through Jensons USA or supergo. Still don't know if anyone has had any direct experience with supergo and how it went (ie problems with scanning credit cards etc).

chuckrockswell

iRide Bikes
like i said, i use supergo, no problems

credit card conversion is all done in the background, you'll basically get your statement in aus dollars like normal.

i find supergo the best because they give you a full total including shipping converted into aus dollars. that way you know exactly what your going to be up for, no hidden surprises :)

Cruz

Likes Dirt
The amount for imports before duty is required is set at $200 if I remember right.
I have friends who work at Customs who say that if you get by the customs check without paying (which is common on lower priced items and if your details don't come up very often) think of it as a saving, but always be prepared with your duty just in case otherwise it will sit at customs awaiting your payment.
Frames and suspension (and suspension parts) are the main customs duty items that they look for.
If you buy things a bit over the net from o/s, be prepared for import duty as they start to look at you as a possible importer.
Hope this helps.

cE

Likes Dirt
I haven't dealt with Jenson's, but you should be safe with either.
Go with the one with the cheaper price, make sure you factor in delivery.
Conversion is done by your card issuer, all automatically, you'll get charged a small fee for it, nothing extravagant.

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
cE said:
From what i've heard/read, if you do happen to get slugged import tax, customs hold your package (not sure if where) and you'll have to go and pay customs, not Supergo (or wherever you bought the items from).
I got slugged tax/duty when i got my Avy sent over. I was billed by the shipping company when the shock was delivered.

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanx everyone for your help! I am goign to get a set of xt cranks with a es-71 BB through super go :)

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cruz said:
The amount for imports before duty is required is set at $200 if I remember right.
I have friends who work at Customs who say that if you get by the customs check without paying (which is common on lower priced items and if your details don't come up very often) think of it as a saving, but always be prepared with your duty just in case otherwise it will sit at customs awaiting your payment.
Frames and suspension (and suspension parts) are the main customs duty items that they look for.
If you buy things a bit over the net from o/s, be prepared for import duty as they start to look at you as a possible importer.
Hope this helps.
i got a marz DJ3 and it didn't cost me jack, am i just lucky or what?

SpectRe

Likes Dirt
Im waiting on my XT brakes from supergo :) . My XT cranks and bb are just about up for replacement, so i think i might just have to update the original order :D (the order is on hold as my rear brake is on backorder for 5-10days)