Anyone got any tips...

WannabeDH'r

Likes Bikes
Right so, I have my first "competition" if you want to call it that coming up soon.

Basically its the Cressys descent race at the You Yangs. I'm totally new to DH so I have no idea what to expect, so I was wondering if I could get a few tips just so I know what to look out for?

I'm looking forward to it, but I'm pretty anxious as well...

nic1894

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ride as though you normally would and dont pressure yourself, you will have a better race head this way and as always just have fun man.

Shredden

Knows his goats
I've been racing for two years now, best advice ever given to me before my first race (at youies as well) was from my dad, he said "set your expectations low and you wont be disappointed"

Pedal hard, do some jumps, but most importantly:

Don't take it too seriously!

WannabeDH'r

Likes Bikes
Cool, thanks for your replies. I definitely won't be setting my expectations too high. The other thing I'm concerned about is getting in the way of other, faster riders. Do you think that this will be an issue?

Once again, thanks for the replies!

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cool, thanks for your replies. I definitely won't be setting my expectations too high. The other thing I'm concerned about is getting in the way of other, faster riders. Do you think that this will be an issue?

Once again, thanks for the replies!
I've done a few races now. At kenilworth and coffs harbour riders have caught up to me near the end cause I'm not that fast and all you need to do is move to the side and let them pass if they call track or rider. Most of the time the rider won't mind as long as you don't deliberately hold them up by not moving. Just be careful when trying to chase them back down, in both races the riders have crashed in front of be within about 50ms of over taking me... maybe I'm just bad luck haha

As others have said though, just have fun and enjoy the day of riding :)

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
best advice ever given to me before my first race (at youies as well) was from my dad, he said "set your expectations low and you wont be disappointed"
Your Dad sounds like a pretty poor source of advice

indica

Serial flasher
you need to ride like this.

[video=youtube;9NLcLqT4SwE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NLcLqT4SwE&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Staunch

Eats Squid
Good concept, poor execution.

When I first started racing I was always told "The only way to win is to make it down the track in one piece". For a kid who crashed more than the number of runs I'd actually do, this was pretty good advice. Basically what I'm trying to say is don't go full on and try and be the fastest one out there, just set yourself a goal (like for me it was try and get down without crashing) and try and achieve it. This way when you go race the next time you have a benchmark to try and maintain/beat.
As long as you're improving and reaching your goals then that's a pretty good win :)

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Good concept, poor execution.

When I first started racing I was always told "The only way to win is to make it down the track in one piece". For a kid who crashed more than the number of runs I'd actually do, this was pretty good advice. Basically what I'm trying to say is don't go full on and try and be the fastest one out there, just set yourself a goal (like for me it was try and get down without crashing) and try and achieve it. This way when you go race the next time you have a benchmark to try and maintain/beat.
As long as you're improving and reaching your goals then that's a pretty good win :)
First finish, then finish first

Thats my moto ;)

Shredden

Knows his goats
Needs to be given some context - basically, he was saying not to go balls out and eat it, which is what I did in all my practice runs. Got down with only one minor incident and didnt come last, so I was happy.

Now he just screams at me and amps me up to hit gaps.

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What i found best at my first race. find someone. your pace or just above. and ride with them through practice. But when it comes to race run. try beat him. not all the other racers there. Worked okay for me :)

WannabeDH'r

Likes Bikes
I think a mate of mine might be riding as well, he's done it before, I'll try keep up with him during practice and get the hang of the track.

And I guess when it comes to the race, I just take it at whatever pace I feel comfortable with.

Well I'm looking forward to it, thanks everyone for the help.

caleb

Likes Bikes
1st comp

Well considering it's only your first competition i guess it will be more to see how it all works and whats happens even though it seems obvious.
Just ride like you normally would, also throughout practice try and watch some of the faster riders to get tips and ideas. The amount of adrenaline
in the race run would be enough the make you ride faster anyway!.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just have fun bro. Who cares about the competition...

It's your first race, I'd be more focusing on meeting new guys and listening to them talking about their lines down certain sections than trying to push the envelope. Watch the quick guys and the lines they're taking, listen to them when they're giving each other advice and just generally try to soak in as much as you can.

I know my first downhill race was a nightmare. Bumping down Killingworth (NSW) on a 2001 Specialized Rockhopper (the FSR one! :D) as a bright eyed 14 year old, I crashed. Multiple times. I reached the finish line with tears coming out of my eyes, and I was hooked.

Good luck and enjoy it!

WannabeDH'r

Likes Bikes
Just have fun bro. Who cares about the competition...

It's your first race, I'd be more focusing on meeting new guys and listening to them talking about their lines down certain sections than trying to push the envelope. Watch the quick guys and the lines they're taking, listen to them when they're giving each other advice and just generally try to soak in as much as you can.

I know my first downhill race was a nightmare. Bumping down Killingworth (NSW) on a 2001 Specialized Rockhopper (the FSR one! :D) as a bright eyed 14 year old, I crashed. Multiple times. I reached the finish line with tears coming out of my eyes, and I was hooked.

Good luck and enjoy it!
Well, I'll be riding it on my Giant Filter 3 haha.
Thats great advice, thanks a lot, I think my first goal is going to have to be getting down without coming off...

Also I'm just wondering, did you buy a DH bike straight after your first comp (relatively speaking), or did you ride a couple more races with the Rockhopper?

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also I'm just wondering, did you buy a DH bike straight after your first comp (relatively speaking), or did you ride a couple more races with the Rockhopper?
Rode quite a few races with it actually. Stick with the filter for a while! Drop the seat and learn to shred on it, you will appreciate it in the long run.

When you do decide to upgrade (because you're obviously thinking about it already! ;)), I would also suggest buying another hardtail. Think something burly with ~6" forks on it. Your riding will only keep improving while you're developing on a hardtail, and when you switch to a full susser you will absolutely rip everyone else to shreds. Not to mention riding a hardtail is more fun!

My DH bikes went Rockhopper->Norco A-Line->Jamis Komodo (modified frame + 160mm forks). My favourite bike out of them all? The Komodo by a long shot!

WannabeDH'r

Likes Bikes
Alright then, I guess I'll hold off on a dually for a while. Its more important for me to learn how to ride well and then get an awesome bike haha ;)

I'm pretty much set for this race now, got my helmet and gear together, really looking forward to it now that its only a few days away.