anyone here ride the 2017 tallboy?

bmar560

Likes Dirt
and can give a quick review ?
Looking for a bike with more travel compared to my specialized epic.
Do they sell the Carbon C frame only ?

T.3

Likes Dirt
Ive had a car park ride on one so cant help with any meaningful feedback on how it rides. I do believe its only the CC they do as frame only though.

bmar560

Likes Dirt
Are you even going to notice 10mm more travel?
I think the geometry matters too, the epic is a very race geo.
Tallboy have 20mm more travel up front and 10mm in the rear and much more relaxed geo.
Looking for a fun bike to ride, the epic is a great bike for racing :)

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Are you even going to notice 10mm more travel?
Despite the phasing of the question, I'd say that the OP is wanting a better allround bike than extra travel necessarily.

Even at 100mm the tallboy 1 & 2 felt way more 'trail friendly' than the epic. Epic is a rocketship, don't get me wrong. It's the perfect xc race weapon but there are certainly limitations in the flexibility of the epic.

OP, I haven't ridden the new tallboy but can guarantee with the geo and VPP that it will feel like more than 10mm extra travel than the epic, be smoother and more suitable for a variety of trails. You will notice the loss of efficiency and snappy xc handling compared to the epic, no doubt.

Always take other's ride opinions with a grain of salt. Beg, borrow, steal one for a test ride if you are going to fork out $4k+ for a frame.

safreek

Despite the phasing of the question, I'd say that the OP is wanting a better allround bike than extra travel necessarily.

Even at 100mm the tallboy 1 & 2 felt way more 'trail friendly' than the epic. Epic is a rocketship, don't get me wrong. It's the perfect xc race weapon but there are certainly limitations in the flexibility of the epic.

OP, I haven't ridden the new tallboy but can guarantee with the geo and VPP that it will feel like more than 10mm extra travel than the epic, be smoother and more suitable for a variety of trails. You will notice the loss of efficiency and snappy xc handling compared to the epic, no doubt.

Always take other's ride opinions with a grain of salt. Beg, borrow, steal one for a test ride if you are going to fork out $4k+ for a frame.
Beg, borrow.but if you.steal you will.be up 4 grand

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Plenty of discussion on all things SC over at forums.mtbr.com/santa-cruz, including the Tallboy. For versatility, the Hightower is a better choice - doesn't give up much on the ups, but will be a lot more fun going down.

If you are ever in Brisbane you can hire decent high end bikes from SC, Yeti etc. from For The Riders in Annerley.

bmar560

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the mtbr link
Now to get the hardest bit... The pass from the missus :)

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Just make it the lesser of two evils - tell her you're having trouble deciding whether to upgrade to a new mountain bike or just chucking it all in and getting a Harley instead.

You might be surprised too - my wife was quite supportive of my desire for a new bike, a sentiment I now find myself reciprocating as she's just gone and bought herself a new car.

Last edited:

T.3

Likes Dirt
Just make it the lesser of two evils - tell her you're having trouble deciding whether to upgrade to a new mountain bike or just chucking it all in and getting a Harley instead.

You might be surprised too - my wife was quite supportive of my desire for a new bike, a sentiment I now find myself reciprocating as she's just gone and bought herself a new car.
Thats strategy gold.

bmar560

Likes Dirt
... well there's a happy ending to this thread after all.
The ministress of war and finance gave me the green light
I am now a very happy owner of a tallboy 3.

CC frame
RS Pike Forks set up at 130mm
XTR and XT mix drivetrain
Rail 40 wheels.
Raceface turbine cranks

Took her for her maiden voyage this morning and she rips down the hills and I was impressed with her climbing abilities, surprisingly climbs as good as my epic, on the rocky climbs.
The budget didn't allow for a dropper post, or a nicer/lighter wheels, but a dropper will be the next upgrade :)