Anyone looking to get into the bike industry?

my02

Likes Dirt
Just saw these roles posted on the Trek AU website:

Finance Office Assistant
Posted on 21/02/2012
Work for the world’s biggest bike brand Have the opportunity to work autonomously and drive change Fun, exciting work environment Trek is hiring! We’re looking for a finance person that believes in hard work, who believes in themselves and who believes in bikes. For us, bikes will change the world and so we’re looking for individuals who believes in this vision as well.

Trek Ultimate Demo Manager
Posted on 02/02/2012
Trek Bicycle Corporation (Australia) Location: National FUNCTION/OVERALL RESPONSIBILITY: The Trek Ultimate Demo Manager will strive to create positive connections with consumers by providing hands-on personal experience and promotion of Trek and its products. This position works with independently owned and operated bike dealerships to create a successful demo experience for consumers that will generate sales and...

APAC IT Manager
Posted on 02/02/2012
Do you want to join a vibrant team in an exciting business? Trek is the world leader in bicycle products, components and accessories with approximately 1,800 employees worldwide. We supply bikes, parts and accessories to independent bicycle retailers throughout the world and we are currently seeking an Asia Pacific (APAC) IT Manager to join our busy and motivated team in Canberra, Australia.

Link here http://www.trekbikes.com/au/en/company/careers

tomli123001

Likes Dirt
Just saw these roles posted on the Trek AU website:

Finance Office Assistant
Posted on 21/02/2012
Work for the world’s biggest bike brand Have the opportunity to work autonomously and drive change Fun, exciting work environment Trek is hiring! We’re looking for a finance person that believes in hard work, who believes in themselves and who believes in bikes. For us, bikes will change the world and so we’re looking for individuals who believes in this vision as well.

Trek Ultimate Demo Manager
Posted on 02/02/2012
Trek Bicycle Corporation (Australia) Location: National FUNCTION/OVERALL RESPONSIBILITY: The Trek Ultimate Demo Manager will strive to create positive connections with consumers by providing hands-on personal experience and promotion of Trek and its products. This position works with independently owned and operated bike dealerships to create a successful demo experience for consumers that will generate sales and...

APAC IT Manager
Posted on 02/02/2012
Do you want to join a vibrant team in an exciting business? Trek is the world leader in bicycle products, components and accessories with approximately 1,800 employees worldwide. We supply bikes, parts and accessories to independent bicycle retailers throughout the world and we are currently seeking an Asia Pacific (APAC) IT Manager to join our busy and motivated team in Canberra, Australia.

Link here http://www.trekbikes.com/au/en/company/careers
These jobs are more IT and commerce related. Not really strictly bike jobs, although employers are bike brands.
It's like at my work place, which is a solar company. All the accounts and IT people know nothing about solar. It is same numbers, invoices and type of work to them, disregarding what the company actually does.

That is just my thought. It could be different at Trek. Have a chat to them and question them at interview. Let me know what you find out.

MRO

Likes Dirt
These jobs are more IT and commerce related. Not really strictly bike jobs, although employers are bike brands.
It's like at my work place, which is a solar company. All the accounts and IT people know nothing about solar. It is same numbers, invoices and type of work to them, disregarding what the company actually does.

That is just my thought. It could be different at Trek. Have a chat to them and question them at interview. Let me know what you find out.
Let me guess, you are a sales person?

I am an accountant and know a bit about the industry i work in, common misconception.

tomli123001

Likes Dirt
Let me guess, you are a sales person?

I am an accountant and know a bit about the industry i work in, common misconception.
Nope. I am an engineer. That is probably why I felt the admin people do not know so much about the industry.

MRO

Likes Dirt
Nope. I am an engineer. That is probably why I felt the admin people do not know so much about the industry.
To contrast your opinion, from a business perspective i often find the technical people are too focussed on their product with no thought to the profitability or ability of the company to convert this into a viable enterprise. Some people get too lost in the detail of their own world to see the big picture, a common problem accross many parts of a business and many professions (including some accountants and engineers :)).

I work in the bike industry, our accounts people know nothing about bikes but they don't need to. It does helps that you have an accountant that knows stuff and enjoys talking about bikes and but they're not expected to and they will be let down if they think they'll be talking to their dealers about the new bikes for the next season, that's the sales guys job.

Delbs

Likes Dirt
To contrast your opinion, from a business perspective i often find the technical people are too focussed on their product with no thought to the profitability or ability of the company to convert this into a viable enterprise. Some people get too lost in the detail of their own world to see the big picture, a common problem accross many parts of a business and many professions (including some accountants and engineers :)).
Isnt this the main reason to why we have teams? people that are great at engineering solutions and are totally focused and obsessed over the products capabilities but then admin or sales or marketing guys to promote the hell out of that product and have a complete understanding of the bigger picture and "convert it into a viable enterprise" I mean thats what the team is working towards, the "big picture" :)