Anyone ridden Moab, Utah?

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey All,

Heading to the States next week and have several days of bike rental arranged in Moab and Vegas. I’ve watched a heap of vids of Slickrock, porcupine rim, full enchilada etc, which are supposedly advanced trails. Whist there’s no comparison to any of those trails in Sydney, I was curious as to what the level of difficulty is and if anyone can give a first hand account? I guess I consider myself an int/advanced trail rider.

Our first outing is in a guided group which will be divided into various skill levels. No doubt we’ll learn about all the good stuff!

Cheers
CC

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Love to do both. I went to Vegas for a business thing and had my plans to sneak off to Red Rock Canyon but a combination of jet lag and the company paying for drinks messed it up.,,,,grumble grumble.......

A guided group would be the only option if you are tight on time. This looks the to be the schnizzer.

https://au.viator.com/tours/Las-Veg...tang-Trail-in-Red-Rock-Canyon/d684-5109_CY003
We have a few days lined up on the cottonwood trails in Vegas, which i think takes in red rock canyon.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
You could probably find some POV videos on YouTube. That should give you a good idea of what you're in for.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
It was 2004 not so hard cos great grip and weather , obviously rocky , just walk anything that you could fall to your death.Moab is great .trails now are probably more "groomed" was v natural 14 yrs ago.

slowmick

38-39"
If you are going for a guided ride be realistic about your skill level - what ever you do don't under sell it - it will drive you nuts if you get lumped in with a bunch of retirees. Also check to see if the rides are long enough for you. i did a day tour and we rode procupine rim. it was over at lunch time. i wanted to ride more but that was the ride fr the day. Would have been nice to have a bike to explore on my own. there are places to ride everywhere.

Also, my wife had fun n Moab even though she is not a bike rider. we did a open top hummer tour which was fun (but expensive). for the most part it feels like you are in a cowboy movie set.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I like Seth, funny guy....... Seth , Singletrack sampler & BKXC are good guys to watch and see where they ride .....
I can't stand watching any of them. Phil Kermit is on that list too. I watch their channels more than I should, but it all just shits me. Way too much beer and Mexican food going on and not enough information. Seth seems to talk aot but not really provide any in depth info. The single track sampler seems to just be filming his random meanderings. Those 2 pop up in each others clips quite a bit though.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you are going for a guided ride be realistic about your skill level - what ever you do don't under sell it - it will drive you nuts if you get lumped in with a bunch of retirees. Also check to see if the rides are long enough for you. i did a day tour and we rode procupine rim. it was over at lunch time. i wanted to ride more but that was the ride fr the day. Would have been nice to have a bike to explore on my own. there are places to ride everywhere.

Also, my wife had fun n Moab even though she is not a bike rider. we did a open top hummer tour which was fun (but expensive). for the most part it feels like you are in a cowboy movie set.
I've told them I'm Int/advanced. I don't do huge drops and gap jumps but I do pretty much everything else.

The riding is just a bonus. I've had a fascination with Moab, Canyonlands since reading the book "between a rock and a hard place". Also doing a desert tour and whitewater rafting on the Colorado river.

slowmick

38-39"
sounds like it will be a good trip. you'll want to go back again.

Are you driving to Moab or flying? if flying make sure you arrange transport to town from the airport before you arrive. It is a tiny airport and there aren't any taxi's to be had. It's a fair wait if you need to wait for a cab to come from town.

binner

Hath shat hymself
I've told them I'm Int/advanced. I don't do huge drops and gap jumps but I do pretty much everything else.

The riding is just a bonus. I've had a fascination with Moab, Canyonlands since reading the book "between a rock and a hard place". Also doing a desert tour and whitewater rafting on the Colorado river.
Hey Chris,
which company have you been talking to?.. I'm off there in Sept/Oct for about 10 days riding around....

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Chris,
which company have you been talking to?.. I'm off there in Sept/Oct for about 10 days riding around....
Hey Binner,

We’re hiring bikes and doing the guide tour throughMoab cycles. Also hiring for a few days in Vegas through McGhie cycles. They are located right near the cottonwood trails.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
sounds like it will be a good trip. you'll want to go back again.

Are you driving to Moab or flying? if flying make sure you arrange transport to town from the airport before you arrive. It is a tiny airport and there aren't any taxi's to be had. It's a fair wait if you need to wait for a cab to come from town.
we’re flying into Salt lake city and driving from there. 4 days in Moab, then monument valley, Grand Canyon, Vegas, LA