Anyone ridden the Munda Biddi trail in WA?

nexusfish

El Mariachi
Gday,

I was interested in hearing some opinions on the Munda Biddi trail in WA. My wife and I are going across next year for a few weeks and were wondering if its worth doig? I particular, is it just a flat fire trail that goes for ages, or is there any challenging bits? We are both half decent riders and im worried it may get a bit dull if its wide open super smooth and flat fire road the whole way.

Cheers.

I've not actually ridden much of the Munda B trail itself. However, there are various other MTB tracks that intersect it and use sections of it to link up trails so I have ended up riding various sections of it. I have ridden a fair bit of it around Dwellingup, where it is quite a bit of single track but not overly technical. However, there are a number of other trails around dwellingup that are quite technical, so you can always branch off and do some other tracks. I think generally the fire trails that it uses in places are generally not used by vehicles so the ones I have ridden have been fairly narrow and largely 4wd only. So they are not just graded gravel roads.

Dwellingup and Manjimup both have very good trails that are quite technical in places so they would give you a bit of variety.

Some trails and maps listed here
http://www.wamba.org.au/trails.php#M

Munda B website
http://mundabiddi.org.au/

unfortunately you need to buy the Munda biddi maps in hard copy, they dont have them online. Not sure why, maybe its a safety issue so they know people have a map?? but the sections of the track I have ridden (Kalamunda, Jarrahdale, Manjimup and Dwellingup) have all been well marked. I think there are maps for it to use with your garmin (I just havent gotten around to finding them sorry).

Clint

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Done all of it up to Manjimup with my dad and friends over the last 7 years. Just doing 30-40km one day sections of it.

Alot of it can be done on basic bikes, we started the first section of it on Gaint Ukon's and Boulders. There are no real challenging sections. The Kalamunda loop is more challenging than any section on it.

How did you do the transport side of it? By that I mean the pickup drop off, or did you just ride back? We had been contemplating doing some longer sections as training for the cape to cape, but we were never really sure about how you go leaving your cars etc. and where to leave them. Given the type of trails, we didn't really want to ride out and then ride back, as we thought it would be a bit boring. In the end we could never really work out the logistics, so we would just do a few laps out at the camel farm.

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had 3-4 normally cars, drop 2 at the start and 1 or 2 at the end of every section. Took abit of planning. Helps having wives/mums/girlfriends who are willing to transport as well!

Always been at least 5 of us riding.

PerthMTB

Likes Dirt
I did a 3 day trip earlier this year, and hope to do another soon.

Some random suggestions that may help you...

They basically linked together existing trails, fire roads etc. so terrain is extremely variable based on what was there before. There is a lot of easy flat fire trail, the occasional bit of singletrack, but mixed in with some unrideable sandy/boggy bits, and killer climbs up washed out tracks that you have to push! Plenty of variety, and goes thru some stunning natural bush - you won't get bored.

Two of us had panniers and two had trailers - those of us with trailers found it much easier going (too much weight on your back wheel, and a high centre of gravity is a recepie for disaster in sand/pea gravel!) Needs to be a single wheel jobby like a Bob Yak or Topeak Journeyman though, not your average two wheel commuting thing. About bike hire in Perth http://aboutbikehire.com.au/ hire out Yak and Ibex (suspension) trailers specifically for the Minda Biddi. While we're on equipment, a hardtail is fine, but a duallie better.

Trail is well marked and huts well maintained - but do buy the maps to take with you.

I've been told the nicest bits are around Collie, but most people start in Perth and don't get that far - me included!

It gets very hot and dry in the WA bush during the summer, so not a good time to do it!

The huts are very basic, a shelf to lie on, so take sleeping bag and mat, and all your own food and cooking gear. There's usually a town every 2/3 days to re-stock food (and have a hot shower!). There are rainwater tanks at the huts, but you can't guarantee they'll be full, so especially if you're travelling at the end of the summer, bring sufficient water with you.

We found the distances most days too short for moderately fit adults, and were arriving at the huts by midday, so maybe worth trying to do more each day.

Never seems to get really crowded, we did it on a holiday weekend and were the only ones in the huts each night! There are occasionally large groups going thru, but they warn you about these on the Munda Biddi site - worth checking.

Overall, its a fantastic trail, and I can't believe more people don't do it - you'll have a great time!

Last edited:

nexusfish

El Mariachi
Thanks for the feed back guys!

Its just an idead at the moment, but will be going in July next year so should fix the hotness. My lady and I have doe a bit of touring in our time and were going to aim for approx 100 km a day which is really doable if taking all day.

Will have 3-4 people at this stage and we were thinking of trying to to the whole thing but its sounding like a serious slog to do that in the 10 days we had set aside for it. Is the trail at the 1000km length yet or is that the eventual aim? Maybe 5 days out and 5 days back via a different route...

Will investigate trailers as we have always used panniers.

Found an article on guys who do the MTB trails out there and they look wicked. so should be plenty of variety.

PerthMTB

Likes Dirt
were going to aim for approx 100 km a day which is really doable if taking all day. Will have 3-4 people at this stage and we were thinking of trying to to the whole thing
Sounds like a blast! Let me know if you've got room for one more....

MurrayW

Likes Bikes
1000 ks by Feburary 2013

The trail will be finished by Feburary 2013.
Perthmtb gives a pretty good description. Some rugged steep sections and some easy going sections and lots of different trail in between. Awesome forest. Jarrah, Karri, Marri and heaps of other flora and fauna. About 10% purpose built trail. A real wilderness experience. I have done 3 x 7 day trips and you really leave the world behind. Get in early before the rest of the world finds out about it and it becomes crowded.
Bob trailers are the best option in my opinion.

Last edited:

Aishling

Cannon Fodder
MundaBidda Walk Trail

A fantastic trail according to all the people who walk it .... I live in a wheat belt town where people go to walk those "big hills". The huts were put in distances apart for walking by most people in winter daylight hours. Please remember you carry in and out, you share all and there are feral pigs on some sections.
I guess it's a great ride but not for people who seek a challenging peddle. It's a great nature amble.

PerthMTB

Likes Dirt
MundaBidda Walk Trail A fantastic trail according to all the people who walk it .... I live in a wheat belt town where people go to walk those "big hills". The huts were put in distances apart for walking by most people in winter daylight hours. Please remember you carry in and out, you share all and there are feral pigs on some sections.
I guess it's a great ride but not for people who seek a challenging peddle. It's a great nature amble.
Lets not confuse the Bibbulmun walk track http://www.bibbulmuntrack.org.au/ ...

put-on-right-of-page.jpg

With the Munda Biddi cycle trail http://www.mundabiddi.org.au/ ...

MundaBiddiTrailMapNov2008.jpg

Easily done, as they both run for 1000kms roughly parallel to each other (and cross over numerous places) from Perth down to the south coast. They are a very similar concept with huts spaced for a day's travel, but the Bibbulmun's huts are closer, and the track has steps and crosses beaches, whereas the Munda Biddi is designed with cyclists in mind. Just remember, the Bibbulmun is strictly walkers only, whereas the Munda Biddi is for cyclists, but we don't mind sharing with the occasional biped :biggrin1:

Last edited:

nexusfish

El Mariachi
Lets not confuse the Bibbulmun walk track http://www.bibbulmuntrack.org.au/ ...

View attachment 249466

With the Munda Biddi cycle trail http://www.mundabiddi.org.au/ ...

View attachment 249467

Easily done, as they both run for 1000kms roughly parallel to each other (and cross over numerous places) from Perth down to the south coast. They are a very similar concept with huts spaced for a day's travel, but the Bibbulmun's huts are closer, and the track has steps and crosses beaches, whereas the Munda Biddi is designed with cyclists in mind. Just remember, the Bibbulmun is strictly walkers only, whereas the Munda Biddi is for cyclists, but we don't mind sharing with the occasional biped :biggrin1:
When you chuck up a map like that, it really puts things into perspective. Looooong ride!

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Speed run

Going through the process of locking this in for Oct 2013

Quick run, Staying in pubs etc the entire way.

Averaging around 120km/day

Travel light, Rash move but hopefully will result in a more enjoyable trip.

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
Hmmmm, at that pace, staying in pubs, I think you're missing the point of it entirely. Enjoy the bush, not race through it, but each to their own...

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Hmmmm, at that pace, staying in pubs, I think you're missing the point of it entirely. Enjoy the bush, not race through it, but each to their own...
Agree but it comes down to time. Also have done some long full independent trips before and not really my thing. I enjoy riding and enjoy off the bike as well.

Camp heaps and explore heaps so this is just another twist.

MurrayW

Likes Bikes
fast ride

I know of three riders that rode Mundaring to Albany about 1100ks in 5 days 20 hours and 23 minutes.
Apparently they rode to 3am one day.
Crazy I think.