Anyone running more than 40psi on a Stans kit? (commuting setup)

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The kit is very clear about not running more than 40psi, which isn't going to work for me. Need to know if anyone is running more and if I can ignore the instructions.

FYI, I need to run 80.

Last edited:

Ivan

Eats Squid
IMO over 60 psi and you risk blowing the tube of the rim.

You also risk splitting the rim in half if your talking about standard MTb rims and tyres.

What rim and tyre are you using?

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Jetblack Rockets with Maxxis Overdrive Elites w/kevlar beads @ 80psi. (commuting setup)

Thinking I might go to a wirebeaded Maxxis slick rated at 50psi.

tomli123001

Likes Dirt
I think in theory the higher the pressure, the tighter the seal and better. However, until too great of a pressure that would blow off the tyre bead/seal. That is why every tire comes with the highest allowable pressure printed on the side wall.

If your tyre says 80PSI, then not a problem. Otherwise, no.

StanzaRallyMan

Likes Bikes
cant find the thread now but after doing some research the answer from the notubes online forum expert was as follows:

Maximum pressure is if you are running tubesless is 40 psi,

If you are running tubes, whatever is the rated maximum pressure printed on the tyre.

{ScarFace}

Likes Dirt
I've kept my stans 29er tyres (rocket rons) at 80psi for a couple hours, for seating the bead. I banged them around a fair bit too, although obviously not the same as proper riding.

Are they UST tyres? I would assume that would help your cause

0psi

Eats Squid
I'm guessing you're doing this for the puncture resistance/sealing? If so just use a slime tube, same result and you won't die.