Anyone tried a "10 speed" Shimano crankset with their 9 speed drive train?

Slowman

Likes Dirt
I've seen a few threads on 10 to 9 speed compatibility but none that really cover this.

I'm thinking of buying a Shimano 10-speed dynasys M770 crankset (on special but also because I need it in 165mm length for my son) but it says everywhere it is not compatible with 9 speed drive train. At most I would think I might need a 10 speed chain (as that has been shown to work on 9 speed cassettes) just in case there is some special ramping and chain matching going on. Does anyone know what the 10 speed cranksets are not compatible with? Chain? Chainline? 9 speed front derailleur?

moorey

call me Mia
Plenty of chdinrings I have seen are listed as 9/10speed compatible. Only the manufacturers of drive trains seem to claim that they aren't. Coincidence?

redbruce

Eats Squid
I've seen a few threads on 10 to 9 speed compatibility but none that really cover this.

I'm thinking of buying a Shimano 10-speed dynasys M770 crankset (on special but also because I need it in 165mm length for my son) but it says everywhere it is not compatible with 9 speed drive train. At most I would think I might need a 10 speed chain (as that has been shown to work on 9 speed cassettes) just in case there is some special ramping and chain matching going on. Does anyone know what the 10 speed cranksets are not compatible with? Chain? Chainline? 9 speed front derailleur?
Yes, seen it work first hand on a few bikes now. Only 10sp component was the crankset.

tjb

Likes Dirt
I'm using a 10sp XT double chainring crankset quite happily with a SRAM 9sp shifters and 9sp Shimano chain and cassette.

Mafra

Likes Bikes

Slowman - I've gone even further back and set up my CX bike with SRAM Rival crankset and then running an old set of Shimano ST2200 8-speed gear on the back end.

8 speed chain, works fine.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm running XTR 10speed everything but a 6 year old XT triple crankset. It's also running am e-13 single chainring as the big ring... still works.