Anyone worked, skied or lived in Breckenridge, CO?

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
After doing a season in Lake Tahoe, California at Northstar Ski resort last year I'm itching to get back to the states for more of the white stuff.

I've got about 3 weeks to go and am interested in going to Breckenridge, Colorado. Does anyone have any insight as to what the town is like and what part of town is best to stay? Will be there with a group of a bout 8 (some who are staying longer) we're all early 20's so looking for somewhere fun to party yet close to slopes.

Last edited:

bpow

Likes Dirt
went to summit county last year and had a blast. Was there 6 weeks and stayed in Frisco which is between Breck and Keystone, and on the way to Vail, cool town but quiter than breck and cheaper accom. Breck is where more of the action is if you want to party etc. But I cant comment on accom there. Brecks a super cool town I could definately live there. Gondola from town to the slopes then just a cruisy ride home!!
If you go grab the epic pass cheap and you can ski breck, keystone, Abasin, vail and Beaver creek!! EPIC
There are free buses between keystone, a-basin and breck that all go thru frisco. Cost money to get to vail and BC but worth going over a couple of days as vail is huge!!
Good Aussie dollar makes it afordable now.
good luck

throwback

Likes Bikes
Breck

After doing a season in Lake Tahoe, California at Northstar Ski resort last year I'm itching to get back to the states for more of the white stuff.

I've got about 3 weeks to go and am interested in going to Breckenridge, Colorado. Does anyone have any insight as to what the town is like and what part of town is best to stay? Will be there with a group of a bout 8 (some who are staying longer) we're all early 20's so looking for somewhere fun to party yet close to slopes.
It was a good few years ago but I have fond memories of the Goldpan Saloon and very un-PC drinks at an Irish pub called car bombs. Happy days!

Good thing is that if you can get hold of a car you can get to other Colorado resorts. A-basin, Copper Mountain etc.

Do I need to tell you it gets COLD! I mean COLD! Probably not.

Booost

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I skiied Breck last year, was a blast. As far as skiing goes, I didn't find it nearly as challenging as Vail, however it was an average season so it was a bit restricted. I don't ski park, but Breck has an amazing park too. Also for sure get that EpicPass, letting you ski Vail and all those other places when you get bored. Keystone is another great resort. As far as living goes, I would want to live in Breck the most, the nightlife and town is the best.

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the info guys, keep it coming. Has anyone been to both Breck and Northstar and can offer a comparison between the two in terms of size and difficulty.

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
There are free buses between keystone, a-basin and breck that all go thru frisco. Cost money to get to vail and BC but worth going over a couple of days as vail is huge!!k
Could you give me an idea of how long it takes to get to Keystone from Breck..? Obviously dependent on weather conditions but on a typical day?

bpow

Likes Dirt
Driving or on the bus? i cant say for sure as I only took the bus but around half hour driving maybe more on a bad day.
Bus definatly takes longer. But its free!!
Dont forget keystone is open at night!! some days when we needed a sleep in we would go up to keystone later after a good sleep and cruise the slopes till after dark.
good times!!
Mountains- In general breck is cruisy, fun runs to carve up with not much extreme terrain. with the exception of the top of the mountain which has some steeper stuff but its a bitch to get to. And the terrain parks are killer!! i mean big and crazy and funn. they do have a couple of smaller ones as well.
keystone front side has long fun runs but I had most fun on the outback chair, some really good trees.
A-basin is small but great, some nice steep stuff and most of the time no people!! I had some of my best days there.
Vail is big , and has a bit of everything and beaver creek was a trip, super rich scene but a super fun hill.
excited?

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
Driving or on the bus? i cant say for sure as I only took the bus but around half hour driving maybe more on a bad day.
Bus definatly takes longer. But its free!!
Dont forget keystone is open at night!! some days when we needed a sleep in we would go up to keystone later after a good sleep and cruise the slopes till after dark.
good times!!
Mountains- In general breck is cruisy, fun runs to carve up with not much extreme terrain. with the exception of the top of the mountain which has some steeper stuff but its a bitch to get to. And the terrain parks are killer!! i mean big and crazy and funn. they do have a couple of smaller ones as well.
keystone front side has long fun runs but I had most fun on the outback chair, some really good trees.
A-basin is small but great, some nice steep stuff and most of the time no people!! I had some of my best days there.
Vail is big , and has a bit of everything and beaver creek was a trip, super rich scene but a super fun hill.
excited?

Thanks mate, very useful. Yeah, would be travelling by bus. Might be worth hiring a car and doing a trip out to vail though.

So all in all if you were doing it again would you stay in Breck or stay in Frisco again?

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Nightlife in Frisco is lame dude, and there's not even the benefit of a nearby mountain. IMO - stay on mountain. Breck, Vail, whatever. I did two seasons at Copper and loved it. I did a season at Loveland as well, but you sure as shit can't stay on mountain there (not that you'd want to).

Staying on mountain just makes life that much easier, and it just seems more natural to go out and drink there as well - Frisco is just a service town.

bpow

Likes Dirt
Well it depends on how long for. i would rather stay at Breck if I was only going for a few weeks, but would definately stay in Frisco again for an extended stay. We were able to get a cheaper place in Frisco therefore we were able to stay longer than we first had planned. But if I could get a good deal in breck I would stay there.
Check costs for hiring a car, but there are companies that go over everyday, they pick from your door, sweet! (about $50 i think?)
I plan on visiting Tahoe one day, would you recommend it?

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
Nightlife in Frisco is lame dude, and there's not even the benefit of a nearby mountain. IMO - stay on mountain. Breck, Vail, whatever. I did two seasons at Copper and loved it. I did a season at Loveland as well, but you sure as shit can't stay on mountain there (not that you'd want to).

Staying on mountain just makes life that much easier, and it just seems more natural to go out and drink there as well - Frisco is just a service town.

Yeah good call on that one.

Well it depends on how long for. i would rather stay at Breck if I was only going for a few weeks, but would definately stay in Frisco again for an extended stay. We were able to get a cheaper place in Frisco therefore we were able to stay longer than we first had planned. But if I could get a good deal in breck I would stay there.
Check costs for hiring a car, but there are companies that go over everyday, they pick from your door, sweet! (about $50 i think?)
I plan on visiting Tahoe one day, would you recommend it?
Thanks for the info. I loved Tahoe. The people there are awesome, Northstar was good fun, amazing park if you're into that. If you like the steep stuff its not the place to be but has some very fun Tree runs plus you're not too far from Heavenly if you want a bit more of a Challenge. If youre going for more than a few weeks or doing a season stay in Kings Beach.