Anywhere I can find steel frame 29ers in OZ + Avanti Scratch 2.0

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've seen people cross thread and strip all sorts of things...if you are going to lean on the set screws, you are likely to bugger up the split shell too. I suspect the reason you haven't seen any problems with them is because they are used so seldom.
Yes, if one is ham fisted one can bugger up anything, but I still stand by the engineering principles (I'm no engineer) behind the use of a clamping force as opposed to set screws. Can you imagine the problems that would arise if the bike industry used set screws on seatposts, steerer tubes, handlebars and brake/gear levers? It just doesn't make sense.

Oh, reason for different systems between the Ti and steel isnt weight, its availability of Ti tubing from Nevi in Italy who make the Pegasus. The Phill EBBs weigh precisely bugger all:)
That makes sense. The Phil ebb is aluminium after all.

ripponh

Squid
SS Config

Recently picked up a Surly Karate Monkey with the intent of using it as a spare bike and commuting. I had lined up an Avanti KISS but after riding both bikes back to back the Monkey won out despite being over $400 dearer. It was just that much better in the fun factor. It is also easy to convert to a 1 X 9 setup as it has all the cable guides and comes with adaptors to put on a hanger. As for it being a spare bike and commuter, well no. It`s the ride of choice now, so much so I`m seriously considering the Jeep 24hr in a team of 4 SSers. My wife thinks I`ve gone a bit soft in the head.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
MH
What config have you used for the single speed (cog teeth)?

R

ripponh

Squid
Tight?

Where's Tomacropod when you need him, he owns both.... although I don't think he's built the Singular and the Mariachi has done maybe 10km, so who knows? Singular is singlespeedable via the Phil Wood EBB. Bloody tight but pretty. You can run 1x9 or 3x9 fine, front derailleur needs to be done carefully though.

Neither really have rack points. You could do a bodge job with the Salsa via the swinger mounts I think. I think weights are pretty similar between them.

My experience with my Mariachi is good. Swinging drops seem to work well. It'd carry load pretty well - not a noodly frame. The standout for me is the matching steel Salsa rigid fork. Great bike to ride as a rigid.

I'd like to try a Singular at some point... nice bikes.
When you say tight, are we talking problematically tight?

Ripper

Yes, if one is ham fisted one can bugger up anything, but I still stand by the engineering principles (I'm no engineer) behind the use of a clamping force as opposed to set screws. Can you imagine the problems that would arise if the bike industry used set screws on seatposts, steerer tubes, handlebars and brake/gear levers? It just doesn't make sense.

That makes sense. The Phil ebb is aluminium after all.
Different forces. All Im saying that they both work fine until somebody roots them up!

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
What config have you used for the single speed (cog teeth)?

R
I`m still running stock standard. 33 up front and 17 out back.
The bars and stem are a bit different but I got used to them very quickly and now don`t want to change them.
I`ve got a spare 18t cog in the tool kit but haven`t needed it yet.
Cheers
MH

novomongoose

Likes Bikes
What about VooDoo?

Just to throw in another variable - Voodoo do some nice steel 29ers, Dambala (older model now) and Soukri.

I ride a Wanga (26er) and love it!

Were some good deals from a mob called velogear.

Advantage of Voodoo is the sliding/adjustable dropouts for chain tension rather than the EBB.

Rob(ert)

ripponh

Squid
What size are you after? I'll weigh it if you like.

Yes, any sort of gearing configuration is easily done, not sure what mcdoned thinks needs to be done more carefully on the front mech compared to other frames??? We have done, SS, geared 3x9, geared 1x10, Alfine. No more difficult than any other bike.

No rack mounts. Same solution Elvis posted for the Salsa

Yep Reynolds 520 forks

No, frames are made in Taiwan
I'm 188cms. Tall and skinny, so I'd guess a large.

It's neck and neck between the Mariachi and the Singular... both great looking bikes and well reviewed.

Ripper

ripponh

Squid
Just to throw in another variable - Voodoo do some nice steel 29ers, Dambala (older model now) and Soukri.

I ride a Wanga (26er) and love it!

Were some good deals from a mob called velogear.

Advantage of Voodoo is the sliding/adjustable dropouts for chain tension rather than the EBB.

Rob(ert)
Dunker for the heads up mate, I'm almost spoiled for choice.

Clyde Dave

Likes Dirt
Damn this thread!
I thought I was perfectly happy with my Karate Monkey, but the El mariachi and singular look sweet!
They look like less of a pain in the ass to get the rear wheel off than the KM aswell.

Are the swinging drop outs on the Salsa reliable? Do they move or adjust on the trail under braking or torque?

DW-1

Dirt Works
Are the swinging drop outs on the Salsa reliable? Do they move or adjust on the trail under braking or torque?
We've not had any negative feedback from the *new* El-Mariachis sold locally. (with the new swinging dropouts). Both frame and completes. And the MTBReview forums have not had any issues pop up... (so I'd guess that's positive by default).

I have the previous model with the Bushnell EBB. And while I've not had any issues with it at all, I've seen comments from different people on forums that they had concerns with creaking and so on. This is the main reason that Salsa decided to move away from the EBB.

Elvis.

Last edited:

ripponh

Squid
We've not had any negative feedback from the El-Mariachis sold locally. Both frame and completes. And the MTBReview forums have not had any issues pop up... (so I'd guess that's positive by default).

Elvis.
Have you got any Mariachi's left (large)?

DW-1

Dirt Works
Have you got any Mariachi's left (large)?
ONE left - (DW item code) SAG-FRELM20B (Salsa Frame El Mariachi CRO-MO 29er Disc Only 20" Large Blue)

Shipment came in last Friday and it's pretty much all gone to backorders already... *sigh*

Elvis.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
They aren't in Australia but they deliver......the new On-One 29er frames drop in a couple of weeks apparently. With swappable dropouts included. And rack mounts - that shouldn't get in the way of disc calipers. Or you can run V's...

The image is the 26 version...

Claim is that we'd be looking around low 200 pounds for the 29 frame plus another 95 delivery. Say AU$500 delivered?

It appears (OK it is my strong suspicion) that these frames come from the same Maxway factory http://www.maxway.com.tw/ in Taiwan as most of the other frames already mentioned in this thread.

They are also going to repeat the Frame Bundle offer http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/ZXOOINBRED12/on-one-inbred-swap-out-dirty-dozen-bike-bundle that they have for the 26 frames which gives you a 10sp SLX group and all the single speed bits as well for about AU$1,500 delivered. Bit more for the 29er?

However, I think you could do much better than the frame bundle by judicious local and UK/US shopping for the add-ons....

Attachments

Last edited:
They aren't in Australia but they deliver......the new On-One 29er frames drop in a couple of weeks apparently. With swappable dropouts included. And rack mounts - that shouldn't get in the way of disc calipers. Or you can run V's...

The image is the 26 version...

Claim is that we'd be looking around low 200 pounds for the 29 frame plus another 95 delivery. Say AU$500 delivered?

It appears (OK it is my strong suspicion) that these frames come from the same Maxway factory http://www.maxway.com.tw/ in Taiwan as most of the other frames already mentioned in this thread.

They are also going to repeat the Frame Bundle offer http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/ZXOOINBRED12/on-one-inbred-swap-out-dirty-dozen-bike-bundle that they have for the 26 frames which gives you a 10sp SLX group and all the single speed bits as well for about AU$1,500 delivered. Bit more for the 29er?

However, I think you could do much better than the frame bundle by judicious local and UK/US shopping for the add-ons....
On-one arent made by Maxway (they used to be but went somewhere else), but yep, Singular, Salsa & Surly are...using different tubes...but the same men will be welding them up...