Apalling attitude by Sydney motorbike riders to SCUM trails

DeBloot

Feeling old
The rule I preach: be nice to motos. Regardless of how much you hate them, and how angry you are to see them at your trail, be nice. Because if they wanted to intentionally ruin a trail, they could do that very easily.

There's plenty of other groups in our community who are steadfast in their commitment to wipe moto riders off the face of the earth (bushwalkers, horseriders, residents, etc). Let them take care of it. QUOTE

Yep - that be the truth, B r F

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
The rule I preach: be nice to motos. Regardless of how much you hate them, and how angry you are to see them at your trail, be nice. Because if they wanted to intentionally ruin a trail, they could do that very easily.

There's plenty of other groups in our community who are steadfast in their commitment to wipe moto riders off the face of the earth (bushwalkers, horseriders, residents, etc). Let them take care of it.
That's pretty much the gist of what I try to push onto our guys locally. There is the one occasion that did require me to remove a kid from a pit bike with a shovel that was drilling a hole in an upramp with his back tyre. He, nor his friends, have never been back.

floody

Wheel size expert
Some people don't care about anyone but them and any time but now. On the weekend I shared a photo of quadbikes at a walker-built hut in a remote, walking access only World Heritage Zone on facebook and among the 79 overwhelmingly insane replies were:
'why does the hut exist if we can't ride to it'
'well f#$k the greenies we should burn the hut/forest down'
'its their choice to ride there why should u say anything about it'
'greenies shut down all the trails we got nowhere else to ride'
'don't be surprised if you get a gun pulled on you next time you're out 4WDing'
'You should be careful we have guns you hippie greenie scum'
'we have guns, chainsaws and bolt cutters we'll go wherever we f$#king like and we'll go straight through c$%ts like you'
'so what if we do damage how u think tracks got there in the first place'
'the bush belongs to us its our state we can do what we want'

Probably the best one was about being denied their historical, cultural right to quad bike in the wilderness (!) by 'pot smoking greenie hippie c$%ts'. I posted the image, as a 4WDer, trailbike rider and mountain biker, to illustrate the reality that its these idiots who get everything shut, and thats a selection of the nicer responses (some of the even more colorful ones involved inducements to various servile sex acts or suicide).

The fact is people who do things like riding where they're not meant to be on motorbikes are people who could not give a flying fuck about young mountain bikers, trail conditions, keeping reserves open, they care only about pillaging the bush for thrills in the here and now. You'd find in general in life they would have no grasp of the social contract principle and probably think its Julia Gillard's fault you were admonishing their utterly innocent and victimless behaviour.

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
That's not what I am saying at all.
No, that's what I'm saying.
Out camping one weekend with 4wders and 2 moto riders. Wake up early to BOOM BOOM! Moto riders have put two tins of baked beans into the fire, unopened, for a bit of a laugh. Half of the tents were ruined when the scalding hot beans came down and put perfect kidney shaped holes in the tents. That alone would be forgivable but the f-wits had to spray dirt and make a mountain of noise every time they rode off, including early in the morning when others were asleep or late when others were asleep after they'd had a skinful of booze a few bongs as well, and more so when asked not to.

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
On the flip side. Generally the worse condition a trail is in actually increases your enjoyment factor of said trail on a dirt bike. Probably part of the reason why you don't see many riders partake in this activity.
I'm not asking Moto riders to do trail maintenance but to make their own trails. I know that in many places this is not possible but in the pine forest near me, they could get out their rakes and make their own trails rather than ruining our hard work. But then that would tarnish the Bogan, don't give a F^%$, brain dead stereotype they all do so well to maintain as they would be doing something worthwhile and constructive.

crazyjose

Likes Dirt
Moto riders vs the world

sadly the mentality of the monged out moto riders we seem to get in the forests down south seems to be rip tear gouge any decent trails with my mud rooster tails and ruin every corner on their el cheapo dirt squirters. The state forest behind my house has had nearly every bit of single track (put in by thoughtful dirt bikers) torn up, rutted out or deeply eroded by the Kmart feral dirtbikers on their Chinese copy dirt bikes, thinking they are an awesome Chad Reed in the making. I have mates who ride or who have ridden dirt bikes and are/were pretty good at riding them, and whilst we all have silly moments, they respected the trails, the monged out meatheads (dickheads on dirtbikes) are the ones with the attitude that is rotten and can't be told anything, and to a degree we have to pander to them to prevent the inevitable. I agree with letting the horseriders and residents ruining their fun and playing the nice game with them, saves the heartache, whilst only a small portion of riders maintain the tracks, there are dickheads in every fold, its just keeping them busy somewhere else or on something else so they don't bug you.

We have trail bike tracks down here and a club, but they are pretty rooted in sections by the dickhead element, the decent guys go looking elsewhere, of course the ready made MTB tracks are going to be an attraction even the dickhead element go looking too...

tprmc78

Likes Dirt
Moto Riders

We have been copping this for years in Canberra out at the Kowen trails. There is a farm on the other side and they come in from there. Had a close calls on the downhill track one day with a moto rider coming up it. I said a few words but he just sprayed dirt in my face when he took off.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I'm not asking Moto riders to do trail maintenance but to make their own trails. I know that in many places this is not possible but in the pine forest near me, they could get out their rakes and make their own trails rather than ruining our hard work. But then that would tarnish the Bogan, don't give a F^%$, brain dead stereotype they all do so well to maintain as they would be doing something worthwhile and constructive.
In Victoria mtb clubs are able to work with parks and build legal trails. Moto riders are told they can not ride single track as they are motor vehicles. It's an unworkable situation.
Many tracks moto riders have ridden for 30+ years get turned into mtb trails with no consultation to moto riders.
The DSE got a $5,000,000 grant for their Trail Bike Project and systematically destroyed every area they touched.
So there are plenty of moto riders out there building trails but they're doing quietly.

redbruce

Eats Squid
No, that's what I'm saying.
Out camping one weekend with 4wders and 2 moto riders. Wake up early to BOOM BOOM! Moto riders have put two tins of baked beans into the fire, unopened, for a bit of a laugh. Half of the tents were ruined when the scalding hot beans came down and put perfect kidney shaped holes in the tents. That alone would be forgivable but the f-wits had to spray dirt and make a mountain of noise every time they rode off, including early in the morning when others were asleep or late when others were asleep after they'd had a skinful of booze a few bongs as well, and more so when asked not to.
If it makes you feel any better, Police and DSE blizzed BawBaw here in Vic over the long weekend.

Over 41 charged with unregistered bikes, plus fines for unattended fires and even cutting down park fencing for firewood.

Last edited:

redbruce

Eats Squid
The DSE got a $5,000,000 grant for their Trail Bike Project and systematically destroyed every area they touched.
In what way. A lot of the money went into facilities such as toilets, signage, parking and unloading areas, general amenities for camping, etc.

Benefits all rec users including MTB fraternity.

Last edited:

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
I'm extremely reluctant to bag out motoriders as I find it a bit hypocritical that we offer up the same argument walker used to try and keep us off "their" trails. And lets face it 99% of moto riders are fine. Unfortunitely it only takes that 1% to ruin a trail and make a nuance of themselves.

We had a few turn up as we were setting the track for the next day. I pulled up some of the back runners who were polite enough to stop and say g'day and let them know what we were doing and advised they could head on through but asked they take it easy and keep an eye out for riders practicing. Yeah no worries, they said. Any one who has ridden rydal can attest to how tight and twisty it is, no fun at all on a moto and I putted out there were trails deeper in the forest that would be more suited to them. Yeah we know about them.
So they rode up the trail to where their mates were waiting. Where it looked like they relayed the conversation. Much roosting ensued from the front runners. Whole sections of bunting tape was ridden through.

Next day, Race day. 2 of the morons returned. We had a few road barriers in place with simple detours around the trail area, apparently it was fun to mono through the barriers, breaking them and roosting the marshals who tried to stop them.

bad apples in every barrel or something

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
In what way. A lot of the money went into facilities such as toilets, signage, parking and unloading areas, general amenities for camping, etc.

Benefits all rec users including MTB fraternity.
Yep. All fantastic. But then they either destroyed (turned into freeways) or closed every track around these facilities. So you were left with great facilities surrounded by 2wd roads.
Imagine riding mtb trails all day that you could drive a truck down?
I honestly think heroin users get better treatment than dirt bike riders.

Last edited:

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
I went out to Cabbage Tree Lane (used to be my local) and there was a group of three moto riders tearing it up.
One of them had his front wheel against a log as a brake and was digging a trench spewing mud out the back with the other two watchiing and egging him on.
I ignored them and kept on doing my loops.
They passed few times and each time the buzzed me as close as they could trying to get some kind of reaction, or maybe to see me stck it. Who knows.

And my final loop they passed me again, one of them slowed down and rode along side me for about 20 metres. I looked over at him and heard him say 'Faggot' under his visor before he proceeded to take off spraying mud in my face.

They were about 15-17 years old.

So helpless, so powerless.

I stopped in at the Nowra cop shop on the way home to advise that there were illegal trail riders tearing it up and gave descriptions and the policemena said "Yeah, we get this all the time. So many complaints. Nothing we can do. By the time we get out there they will be gone, and if not, they will get away from us through the network of trails. There's just no way to catch them".

I never went back and rode cabbage tree after that.

Sucks balls.

For the record, I am not bagging moto riders. I have ridden motorbikes longer than I have mountain bikes. And I love my motorbikes, and riding them (before I had kids that is).
What I am bagging is these kids that I had this encounter with, and is something that I saw happen quite a bit on the South Coast when I lived there.
Not bagging moto's, just bagging d&ckheads.

Last edited:

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
I ride both have done so for many years and guess what a small minority will spoil it for everyone in there sport. My gripe I used to live until recently next to the Royal National Park and similar to this original posters story except there MTBs. MTBers where banned from Menai and then Appin so they headed to the Royal National park which has legal MTB trails no not happy with these boring trails they MTB's decided to cut new illegal MTB trails and ride the walking tracks which pissed off the locals to the max me being an ex local and copping it from neighbors because I rode a MTB. When I told the MTB's there riding this track illegally it was the same response as motos.

Gee and each group wonders why they are loosing riding areas.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
There is the exact same thread reversed in the local dirt bike forum. Funny that.
Plenty of stories of mtb riders acting like dicks there. But again it's only a minority.

Stringybark

Likes Bikes
Percentages

Been riding motocross bikes for over 50 yrs, mountain bikes for 10yrs...still love both.
I'm no expert, however, I've seen a few things...in my opinion it's roughly
mountain bikes 2-5% dickheads
dirt motorbikes 15-20% dickheads

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Been riding motocross bikes for over 50 yrs, mountain bikes for 10yrs...still love both.
Pretty much covers humanity that range...no matter who they are or what they do.

Homo sapien 2-20% dickhead since 100,000 BC.

redbruce

Eats Squid
I'd say double those is probably more representative (I've also been a long time member of both activities).

There is no doubt particular activities operate outside the middle of the normal population distribution curve (ie bias).

Last edited:

Stringybark

Likes Bikes
I tried

I'd say double those is probably more representative (I've also been a long time member of both activities).

There is no doubt particular activities operate outside the normal population distribution curve (ie bias).
I agree.....but I was trying SO hard to be nice ?

Last edited:

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
I'd say your figures are right for 15 years ago but now I'd say each group is about equal especially since DH and All mountain came in."Dirt motorbikes" started loosing riding areas along time ago and education campaigns(and groups) where put in place to fight these closures and educate idiots dirt riders how not to losses riding areas.

Mtb community have only in the last few years started loosing riding areas. MTB community are a long way behind "Dirt motorcycles" on there campaign.

I'd say more selfish idiots are coming into MTBing and more selfish idiots are leaving motos.(To far to travel to ride moto now for selfless idiots)

Last edited: