Apparently Maxxis are discontinuing the Slow Reezaay compound tyres

S.

ex offender
Anyone else think that this is a kick in the balls? IMO the SRY compound Minions/Highrollers are the best tyres on the market, and it sure doesn't hurt that they're the cheapest. Cheap, lightish, grip soooo well, don't seem to flat easily... all they're leaving us with is the Super Tacky compound, which doesn't seem to last as long, and supposedly has issues with knobs tearing off. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that most races I go to, well over half the riders are using SRY Minions or Highrollers - so why would maxxis discontinue such a successful/popular setup? I r not happy.

fastrider gus

super huck
will they be replacing them with anything or just sticking to the one compound? maybe they will release a new flashier compound!
they defenately dont seem to be loosing much business! they are one of the best tyre manufacturers around and with a killer mountain bike team (DH, 4X, and XC) and now they are also making tyres for moto (road and dirt) cars and trucks too i think...

paulmc213

Likes Bikes
They have always made tyres for cars and trucks etc. This is what they started with. I used to work at a tyre place and I always wanted to stock them!
Knowing maxxis they will come out with something better otherwise we all better start stocking up on them before they are all gone!

udi

swiss cheese
I R BABOON

Where did you hear this S. ?
Was just thinking of getting me some minions soon, i'm sure they'll be around for a little while longer anyway?

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
rimas said:
Hmmm, I think that it backwards.

Aren't the Slow Rezaaaaay's softer that the Super Tackys?
yeah the SR's are 40duro and the ST's are 42dure, but's it's not all about the durometer, from what i hear around the 40d SR's are better in the wear stakes.

Ryan

Radministrator
The cynical bastard in me want to think that this is because the SRY compound has proved to be TOO long lasting. By discontinuing the compound, we're restricted to buying either Super Tackies that will fall apart after a couple of weekends of riding or 60As that just don't have the shit-to-a-blanket grip of soft compound rubber. People are therefore forced into buying two sets of rubber, one for general riding and one for race days, and Maxxis theoretically make more money.

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ryan said:
The cynical bastard in me want to think that this is because the SRY compound has proved to be TOO long lasting. By discontinuing the compound, we're restricted to buying either Super Tackies that will fall apart after a couple of weekends of riding or 60As that just don't have the shit-to-a-blanket grip of soft compound rubber. People are therefore forced into buying two sets of rubber, one for general riding and one for race days, and Maxxis theoretically make more money.
yeah i thought that... hope it's all bullshit tho..

Misplaced

Formerly Unfit
Ryan said:

The Cynical bastard in me reckons this is just a stunt to get us panicking and stocking up on said tyres so that Maxxis can have a bumper Qtr 1 sales!

and Socket's in on it, he gets $5 for each tyre sold.....

BTW, does anyone else have a white van across the road 24/7? oh god... they're coming to get me....

profro

Squid
Ryan said:
Whoah dude, I think you are way off.

From inside sources it has to due with marketing. As I understand it, Maxxis is heavily influenced by what happens in Europe and in Europe the ST reigns supreme. That might leave us Yanks and you Aussies out in the cold, but you should contact your Maxxis dealer and express your concern over them dropping something you value so much.

Colonel

Likes Bikes
It'll be interesting to see what Maxxis come back with now Michelin are pushing on with their new dual compound tyre. For those of you that have not seen it yet have a squiz at this:
http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article.asp?UAN=4213
As keen as I am to see these new tyre from Michelin, I'm sure I won't be able to afford them. I hope Maxxis have something cool on the drawing board.

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
Super tacky are fine for front tires but wear way to fast on the rear. Bit of a shame. Might have to start using another brand if they ditch them.

Ryan

Radministrator
profro said:
Whoah dude, I think you are way off.

From inside sources it has to due with marketing. As I understand it, Maxxis is heavily influenced by what happens in Europe and in Europe the ST reigns supreme. That might leave us Yanks and you Aussies out in the cold, but you should contact your Maxxis dealer and express your concern over them dropping something you value so much.
As I said, just me being a cynical bastard. I've already contacted Maxxis to express my concern.

It seems strange that a massive multinational company like Maxxis would write off a compound that's ridiculously popular in some areas of the world just because it's not as popular in Europe, seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

S.

ex offender
Ahh we can all relax a little, I emailed maxxis and they said that the SRY would be discontinued in the US, but not globally. So as long as people make sure that the distributors over here know that we still want them, we may be able to keep getting them.

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
S. said:
Ahh we can all relax a little, I emailed maxxis and they said that the SRY would be discontinued in the US, but not globally. So as long as people make sure that the distributors over here know that we still want them, we may be able to keep getting them.
yeah baby.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Anyone see those airless tyres on the news the other night? They look like they rubber spokes in them instead of air. I can't remember the company who's producing them, but it was a major company like Dunlop or Michelin. I'm hoping somebody else saw the same thing.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
johnny said:
Anyone see those airless tyres on the news the other night? They look like they rubber spokes in them instead of air. I can't remember the company who's producing them, but it was a major company like Dunlop or Michelin. I'm hoping somebody else saw the same thing.
cool...

me thinks they be heavy + expensive + most likely a shithouse compound
but still cool :D

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Way to expensive, I can buy 20 Tioga Phycos for the price of a Maxxis and still have change for some Dunlop Volleys.