Appin Race

*Turtle*

Likes Bikes
Hi All,

I am new to MTB riding/racing. I have ridden a couple of times at Yellowmundee and I was wondering how it compared to Appin?

*Turtle*

*Turtle*

Likes Bikes
Well 30+ people gave it a go today and by all the :D I think it gets a big thumbs up. Very technical course with lots and lots of single track.

Wollongong are a very friendly club and I will definately be going back there again.

mtb1611

Seymour
Good to hear. Are there many other trails around there that branch off the race course, was thinking of going out to have a look around.

chauff

Squid
Appin trail

Good single race track with a few side trails and lots of other areas to ride.:)
But area is very messy... carparts, bottles, boxes paper cups etc. Checkpoints look like dumps.:mad:

z00m

Squid
Appin

*Turtle* said:
Well 30+ people gave it a go today and by all the :D I think it gets a big thumbs up. Very technical course with lots and lots of single track.

Wollongong are a very friendly club and I will definately be going back there again.
Thanks for the bouquet Turtle.:) Glad you enjoyed yourself.
This track is new but the area has been thrashed by 4wd "enthusiasts" and dirtbikers for years. The club intends to work with the local community to clean up and rehabilitate the worst areas. At the same time we will be building improvements into the course to make it a really top race venue.

Incontinent

Crusty Juggler
Canteen

WMBC intend to offer a canteen/bbq during the race on Sunday.
Actually the canteen/bbq is to be put on by the local scout group.
We have heard that bbq's have not been all that successful at XC events in the past.

Is worth while to have the canteen/bbq at this event?

schmackster

NSWMTB, Manly Warringah MTB
Incontinent said:
WMBC intend to offer a canteen/bbq during the race on Sunday.
Actually the canteen/bbq is to be put on by the local scout group.
We have heard that bbq's have not been all that successful at XC events in the past.

Is worth while to have the canteen/bbq at this event?
For state rounds where the numbers are pretty good (about 100 riders), especially when they are close to Sydney, I think that it is worth it. Nothing beats a bacon and egg roll after a hard race. Also it supports the local community by allowing them to make some money and will only help you make friends with them.

The coffee van at WSMTB seems to do pretty well as there is almost always a couple of people waiting for their next fix.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
I suspect he was trying to hide his true form for Sunday...;)

Alchemist - who did some good training miles in the desert last week.

gustfront

Likes Dirt
what's the track like?

Any reviews on the track please. Is it hilly or flat, twisty or straight, technical or smooth? Rough lap times etc. Looking at the map on their website it looks like there are a couple of creek crossings. Are these bridges or big bunny hops?

Last edited:

joemax

Likes Dirt
There's a lot of single track but nothing too technical and a great downhill section that's just made for high speed stacks. There's a drop onto a narrow bridge over the creek that is much easier than it looks when you first get to the top. The other creek crossing creek is a ford but you neeed the right line to avoid getting wet.

The course winds up and downhill and is probably more physically demanding than say Yellowmundee or Ourimbah. Some sections are a bit sandy but hopefully the rain earlier in the week will have helped.

Last edited:

joemax

Likes Dirt
It's clockwise. You start up a short piece of fire road then right into some downhill single track. It's left down another bit of fire road to the first creek crossing and then a very long uphill single track.